PDA

View Full Version : Bone/tooth coming through gum?

Zeh
2010-08-13, 22:25
Woke up this morning with a pain like fuck in the lower front corner of my mouth. I sprang to my bathroom mirror to see what was the matter, and lo and behold I see a small piece of bone(tooth?) poking through my gums below my front corner tooth. Is this my gum receding, or my tooth poking through or what? Do I have to see the dentist? I really don't like the dentist.

Tonko
2010-08-13, 22:29
A pic would help, your descriptions are kind of vague.

Zeh
2010-08-13, 22:42
It's kind of hard to take a picture of... Imagine the tip of a needle coming through below one of your teeth through the gum. Small, white, barely raised but hurts like hell.

Tekki
2010-08-13, 23:20
dentist, asap. dont fuck around with this.

SathFenrir
2010-08-14, 05:17
Shit happens. I had a wisdom tooth removed in late February and the it was so embedded that the guy had to break it up in the gum and pull all the pieces out one by one. Didn't get them all and the hole wouldn't fully heal until my body pushed all of the pieces out by itself. Every 4-5 weeks I'd get a sharp piece of tooth sticking up through smooshy, half-healed wisdom hole, lol.

Last one came out about a month ago. Doesn't hurt, shit happens, etc. Hole healed up fine.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I was pissed about it and I won't go back but there was no actual harm done by the pieces being left in my gums.

Hex
2010-08-14, 10:22
My mom just had this, it looked horrible, caused her a great deal of pain cause she kept putting it off. Eventually she went to the Dentist and they removed the tooth. They also told her she has some sort of bone issue where it's deteriorating so she's having surgery in Oct to remove all her top teeth.

Draylo
2010-08-14, 10:41
My mom just had this, it looked horrible, caused her a great deal of pain cause she kept putting it off. Eventually she went to the Dentist and they removed the tooth. They also told her she has some sort of bone issue where it's deteriorating so she's having surgery in Oct to remove all her top teeth.

Wow that really sucks... would hate to find out I had to get all my teeth removed =/

Zeh
2010-08-14, 10:42
Oh my god, are you serious?!!! Right now it's a small thing causing mild pain, that's it.... But it hurts. How long did she wait?

Salodin
2010-08-14, 11:24
Is it in the back where wisdom teeth would be? Sometimes wisdom teeth come in sideways or crooked and they start to poke out like that. It's no big deal until it finished growing and is pushing all your other teeth into each other, which causes pain etc.

If it's your gums receding, that's bad and you need a dentist. If its bone poking out, that's bad and you need a dentist.

That's 2/3 being something you need a dentist for asap. I'd just go to one asap and get it checked out.

LurkaKitty
2010-08-14, 11:47
Your pain descriptions contradict each other imo lol. "pain like a fuck" then "a mild pain".

Anyway, if you`re going to a dentist and they refer you to an oral surgeon, make sure it`s a good one. My mom`s a retired dental assistant and she won`t let me see any oral surgeons but a couple. Like someone said with wisdom teeth, shit can go bad. That`s not the worst that can happen, you could have had your jaw paralyzed lol.

Robbb
2010-08-14, 11:59
I would see the dentist so they can take an x-ray and see whats up. Did you by any chance have a tooth pulled around that area at any time? It could be a bone fragment finally making is way to the surface. A lot of weird things could happen, you could have an extra tooth there or another tooth under it even if its a permanent tooth. I'm a dental assistant and have seen some pretty weird things. I'd rinse with some warm salt water until you can get to the dentist, should help some.

OWS_Tonx
2010-08-14, 12:37
In the case of a tooth sticking out through my gums, I would most definitely go to the dentist.

Zeh
2010-08-14, 12:58
Your pain descriptions contradict each other imo lol. "pain like a fuck" then "a mild pain".

Anyway, if you`re going to a dentist and they refer you to an oral surgeon, make sure it`s a good one. My mom`s a retired dental assistant and she won`t let me see any oral surgeons but a couple. Like someone said with wisdom teeth, shit can go bad. That`s not the worst that can happen, you could have had your jaw paralyzed lol.

It's sort of settled down a bit but still hurts. It's in the front, so I'm sure it isn't wisdom teeth. And no, no prior removal or anything in the area.

Osede
2010-08-14, 21:56
I would say just go make an appointment with dentist right away in monday morning. You wouldn't know is it really had nothing to do with wisdom teeth or not. Like me, I never had wisdom teeth problem until the dentist told me that one of the tooth does cause the bacteria infection on my gum, which results I can't even open my mouth to eat for few days.

Talus
2010-08-14, 23:01
It's extremely rare but sometimes a third dentition can come in. Typically everyone has their set of baby teeth, and gradually lose them as they mature into adolescence and adulthood, the second and usually final set grows in, but sometimes people lose a baby tooth, and the next one that grows in, and ANOTHER one comes in, or another one begins to erupt from the gums in front of or behind a pre-existing tooth. Unless you're a shark, you're a shark... this is exceedingly rare, so see your dentist at any rate and let them evaluate it, probably visually first and then confirming anything with x-rays.

archibaldcrane
2010-08-14, 23:50
I'd say ignore it.

I'm sure the additional tooth or bone that is protruding from your gums will go away eventually.

you're fucking retarded

Gregorio
2010-08-14, 23:59
Clearly this means that your body is absorbing maximum amounts of nutrients and producing brand new extra white teeth to replace yellow dirty ones. If left untreated, it can result in the greatest smile ever.

Zeh
2010-08-15, 00:10
Well I mean this wasn't me asking for advice whether to go or not, just what it might be so I know either to panic or to just swallow any negative predictions and see what happens when i get to the dentist monday.

Alvein
2010-08-15, 02:44
Remember, you only have one set of teeth, they're worth every penny.
I chipped my tooth a week ago and got it filled, only to find out I need a mouth guard, but they are worth it. I was grinding and my teeth are already feeling better from using a mouth guard at night.

Anton
2010-08-15, 03:24
Sounds like a wisdom tooth. Do you have gum decay? Do you smoke?

Stop packing lippers and go see a dentist

Caiti
2010-08-15, 04:52
I'd say there are very few people out there who actually like the dentist. Would be best to just get it over with before anything more serious happens. (I'm not sure about you, but I'd define a piece of tooth coming through your gums as being pretty serious.) Good luck.

Hex
2010-08-15, 05:11
My mom didn't wait after it started to push through the gums.She went to the dentist within a week and I think it took 2 weeks to get her in for the removal. She was in pretty good pain, eating anything too solid was hard on her. I know 1 thing, it was disgusting to look at. Hers was an Incisor, if that helps at all.

Just hope this isn't part of a bigger problem and just a random tooth being awkward.

Olo401
2010-08-15, 07:57
I have that same issue - bone cyst right under my lower front teeth. After the surgery to clear the cyst I need to have at least two root canals, and that if there's even any bone left under the teeth to hold them in place. If not the teeth are gone and I gotta get fucking dentures.

Dimmauk
2010-08-15, 10:45
Woke up this morning with a pain like fuck in the lower front corner of my mouth. I sprang to my bathroom mirror to see what was the matter, and lo and behold I see a small piece of bone(tooth?) poking through my gums below my front corner tooth. Is this my gum receding, or my tooth poking through or what? Do I have to see the dentist? I really don't like the dentist.

The Aztec used to sacrifice people for teeth through the gums. I hope you dont go near any Aztec!

Abandon
2010-08-15, 19:03

Toothless blowjobs sound amazing. I'm quite surprised this wasn't said already.

zoobernut
2010-08-15, 19:05
It could be a bone spur. I have this little bump that developed under the gum on the inside of my mouth and the dentist said every once in a while people will just grow sharp protrusions of the gum that stick out and may or may not poke through the gum entirely. They can go in and grind them off with no big issues.

It could be that.

Zeh
2010-08-16, 14:02
I'm growing in a third set of teeth. I'd love to see that gene in my DNA, like I bet I share it with a shark

Jicent
2010-08-16, 14:46
You may have broken a root in your tooth. Happened to me when i was a kid.

Olo401
2010-08-16, 15:07
I'm growing in a third set of teeth. I'd love to see that gene in my DNA, like I bet I share it with a shark
Or maybe an elephant - during their lifetime they go through 4 or 5 sets of teeth.

Sol-Blackguy
2010-08-16, 15:18
I had something like this but caught it early. Managed to finally get a dental plan and found out I had a recessed adult upper bicuspid coming through behind a baby tooth that never fell out. Regardless, your first step is to see a dentist, get an x-ray to see what the hell it actually is. Worse case, you could be looking at oral surgery lots of soup and pain for a few weeks and some painkillers. Hope this helps