Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Jellysaurus Rex
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Virginia you are so fucked

VIRGINIA, YOU ARE SO FUCKED!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1373031.html

Virginia Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli (R) is creating a campaign committee to run for governor, according to a news release.

"I am running for governor to continue the work I have undertaken during my tenure as attorney general and as a state senator," said Cuccinelli in a statement. "I will continue my work to strengthen our economy, preserve our liberty, and to promote the principles of smaller, more efficient state government, accountable to the people it serves. I look forward to sharing my vision for the commonwealth following the November elections."

The attorney general said in December that he would run for governor in 2013. Lt. Gov. Bill Bolling has also announced his intention to run for the seat. Bolling decided not to run for governor in 2009, instead running for re-election as lieutenant governor, and backed Bob McDonnell, who was elected governor. In return, McDonnell vowed to back Bolling in 2013.

Virginia governors can only serve one four-year term.
    There's not enough space here for all the HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAs that would really do this situation justice.

If he's elected, women, minorities and non-christians in va can just kiss all of their civil rights goodbye. That'll be cool.
    This guy was Rick Santorum before Rick Santorum was Rick Santorum.

Oh VA what has HAPPENED to you?

edit: before you guys say someone this crazy can't win -- VA is full of crazy fucking fundamentalist assclowns. People thought he couldn't win the race when he ran for AG. He IS the AG now. So.. yeah.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

still arresting gay men even though anti-sodomy laws were struck down by the supreme court years ago, justifies this stance on the basis that charges will be dismissed once they go to trial

wow, fucking classy

Jellysaurus Rex
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

the guy is terrifying and there's enough christian republicans in VA to elect him

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

unfortunately, my sister down there is proof of that. love her, but not her politics. how a Campus Crusade for Christ staff member came out of an agnostic family, I will never know.

IMPERIAL CONCUBINE OF ME
    Coolest Monkey In The Jungle

BG Level

Do you still live in VA?

Jellysaurus Rex
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Nope, I just now got the fuck out. Glad I did.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Sera View Post
    edit: before you guys say someone this crazy can't win -- VA is full of crazy fucking fundamentalist assclowns. People thought he couldn't win the race when he ran for AG. He IS the AG now. So.. yeah.
    God bless the democratic process

Jellysaurus Rex
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Drex View Post
    God bless the democratic process
    oh yeah this two party system is really a godsend

An exploitable mess of a card game
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Gouka Mekkyaku
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Terrible state anyways.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Yugl View Post
    Terrible state anyways.
    I like it here, at least where I live. I have been across the country and across the world, and pretty much everywhere has something that sucks.

Jellysaurus Rex
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I didn't mind VA as a place -- but their politics have been pretty terrible for a while now. I think a lot of people underestimate the number of fundamentalist jerkoffs VA has. It really is a lot more than people think. Consider the number of people in central VA that will vote for him (a lot,) and central VA is pretty liberal when you consider most of the remainder of the state.

Now think about 7 Cities (Hampton Roads, Portsmouth, Surry, etc): full of military-- they'll all vote R. Now think about South hill etc toward North Carolina -- they're all R too. What about Wythe county, blacksburg, bluefield, etc -- all R -- toward Tennessee. Parts of NOVA will fight it, sure -- but nova has a lot of military too, so not all of it. I'm telling you guys, if he weren't dangerous, he wouldn't BE attorney general already. All that added up with poor minority voting turnouts? This could REALLY happen. The idea that a guy this crazy could run and actually win is just sickening. He's a definite threat.

People forget that VA is still the south and still chock full of people who think it is still 1960 and the bible is where law should come from.

I don't really know for sure because I don't really vote, but I'm pretty sure I never had the option to vote in Washington as my state of residence was Arizona.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Siatdiat View Post
    I like it here, at least where I live. I have been across the country and across the world, and pretty much everywhere has something that sucks.
    Yes, but it's as fair to say that some places suck harder than others, and Virginia is in terrible shape.

http://www.cavalierdaily.com/2012/03...failing-grade/

Quote Originally Posted by Corruption Risk assessment report card ranks Virginia 47th nationally
    The assessment was part of a study entitled the State Integrity Investigation, which evaluated 330 indicators of risk in 14 categories.

Virginia failed nine of the 14 categories, which included public access to information, executive accountability, state pension fund management, political financing, legislative accountability, state budget processes, lobbying disclosure, and ethics enforcement agencies.

[...]

“It’s not surprising that Virginia is coming up towards the bottom,” Barrett said. “We’re hoping that citizens take this information and use it to demand more accountability in their state government.”
    We don't really need to talk about the whole contraception thing again, but it deserves to be mentioned.

Just as well, it's worth noting that Virginia's happily contradicting those "personhood" beliefs by damning the resultant children in delightfully bigoted ways:

http://inamerica.blogs.cnn.com/2012/...family-exists/

Quote Originally Posted by Virginia wants to deny our family exists
    In a few days, our state is expected to become only the second in the nation (North Dakota is the first) that will allow state-funded adoption agencies to deny us, and other qualified parents, the ability to foster or adopt children solely because of our sexual orientation.

Supporters of the bill call it the “conscience clause,” but what it does is unconscionable. It allows private adoption agencies, many who contract with the state to place children in adoptive or foster homes, to deny prospective parents because of their sexual orientation. The bill passed the state Senate last week, but has not yet been signed into law by the Governor.

[...]

More importantly, how can Virginia deny the 1,300 foster children waiting for adoption? How can they deny them good homes based on some social worker’s vague moral or religious objection?
    Bill status: http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...?121+sum+HB189

It's all right to like it, but it's wrong to say it isn't a backwards shithole in terms of encouraging and furthering progressive causes.

Jellysaurus Rex
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

BTW that mandatory ultrasound bill passed

and they don't care if you have insurance or not. if you don't have insurance you still have to get it but you have to pay out of pocket for it. VA is so cool right now!

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

God damn it! I was looking at VA for a possible retirement state, shit was mad nice when I was stationed there back in the day.

EDIT: Holy shit! Fuck Santorum levels, this nigga is on a class on his own lmao.

Ninja Ninja
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Noemi Rondain
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Holy Shit. looooooool

My girlfriend applied to a job at ThinkGeek which is in VA and I'm so glad that they didn't get back to her now. I was taking solace in the fact that it was a blue state but this shit is just fucked up. How the hell can someone make Santorum look sane? I'm still trying to get my head around that...

>The Implying
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jeryhn Astracrown
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Derock View Post
    you guys give him a lot of shit but at least he's running on a campaign he believes in. how many other politicians can say that?
    Get the fuck out. The number one thing a politician should be gunning for is what is best for as many people in his constituency as is possible, not what he "believes in".

IMPERIAL CONCUBINE OF ME
    Coolest Monkey In The Jungle

BG Level

good thing this is a democracy and if the people of VA want him in office they will put him there

E. Body
    BG Level

I'm still hoping for northern VA to secede.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast