1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 1 hours, 19 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 22 hours, 40 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 18 hours, 19 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 15 hours, 40 minutes
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shift cancels movement     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Shift cancels movement

I've been having this problem since the inception of the game and no matter where I look I cannot seem to find a solution. Essentially, keybinding a command such as Shift + 1 completely cancels out movement for your character until you release. There seems to be many conflicting reports of people who have the same problem and others who do not have this problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

You keyboard probably can't handle pressing that many keys at the same time.

Yeah, you should test if your keyboard can rollover. Hold both shift keys and type:

the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog

If it doesn't come out right, unfortunately the only way to solve it is to buy a new keyboard that can handle multiple keys at once.

Pay No Attention to the Man Behind the Curtain
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ragns Meuhie
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Most cheap ass keyboards can't handle too many keys pressed at once. I used to have this kind of problems with FFXI until I got a Logitech gaming keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Kincard View Post
    Yeah, you should test if your keyboard can rollover. Hold both shift keys and type:

the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog

If it doesn't come out right, unfortunately the only way to solve it is to buy a new keyboard that can handle multiple keys at once.
    I just tested it out right now and the sentence didn't come out right. I am planning on getting a new keyboard soon but they're still out of stock. I'll probably just hold out until then. Thank you for the quick response guys.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Sharv, what are your movement keys? I'm guessing you changed them to Numpad.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Shift + numpad will mess up movement, yeah. Also check if shift+anything you regularly hit on hotbar/movement is a keybind that's opening something like chat or a menu.

Shift cancels movement

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Dan View Post
    Sharv, what are your movement keys? I'm guessing you changed them to Numpad.
    Yes I did. Even with a gaming keyboard that problem still persists?

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Shift+Numpad activates the secondary function of the numkey; e.g. shift+Num1 is read as pressing the End key (and will activate whatever you have keybound to End). This is a Windows function (maybe even a keyboard-level function?) and I don't know of any way to deactivate or bypass it.

Every PC keyboard in existence has the ability to push 3 keys simultaneously (Ctrl+Alt+Del) and practically all of them can push 4, so it's usually not a simultaneous button input issue in this kind of game.

The simultaneous button input has less to do with "how many keys am I pressing" and more "am I pressing keys that are all on the same circuit", so being able to do CTRL+ALT+DEL doesn't actually prove anything. It is possible that this game doesn't move fast enough for it to be an issue but that also depends on how his specific keyboard has been built.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I can't press 'd' while pressing alt+8. Not all keyboards can just do any 3 keys at the same time. Can't press 'a' while doing alt+1. Can't press 'w' while doing alt+2.

etc

I do have my movement keys mapped to the NUM Pad. Can anyone else try this to see if they are having the same issue? For instance, try moving with the NUM Pad and trying executing the command Shift + 2/

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

I think your workaround if you want to keep using numpad would be to have those commands double-mapped, like Num8 and up arrow are both "move forward".

Pay No Attention to the Man Behind the Curtain
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ragns Meuhie
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Sharv View Post
    I do have my movement keys mapped to the NUM Pad. Can anyone else try this to see if they are having the same issue? For instance, try moving with the NUM Pad and trying executing the command Shift + 2/
    As I said, if you are moving with the Numpad, then the moment you push Shift, you are technically no longer using the Numpad. I also use Numpad for movement and this has always been the case.

As Seravi mentioned, you can try double mapping your arrow keys to movement, but you'll lose them for camera controls.

Check to make sure there aren't any SHIFT + Numpad commands keybound in game. I know that when 2.1 came out I had this problem with CTRL + Numpad. They ninja-bound them to cycle through the emnity list so every time I hit CTRL my character would stop moving.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Dan View Post
    As I said, if you are moving with the Numpad, then the moment you push Shift, you are technically no longer using the Numpad. I also use Numpad for movement and this has always been the case.

As Seravi mentioned, you can try double mapping your arrow keys to movement, but you'll lose them for camera controls.
    Double mapped the arrow keys to movement and I'm still getting the same problem regardless.

Remit One (1) Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Qeomash Pandemonium
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I also have this issue, though it rarely interrupts me (honestly never had a problem) and didn't know it did this. My keyboard can handle the multiple inputs just fine. I think it's just a weird issue of SE's.