View Poll Results: Which Game do You Like More?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • MGS3

11 31.43%
  • Dark Souls

24 68.57%
+ Reply to Thread

Which Game Series Do You Like More? MGS3 or Dark Souls

Trying to gauge which one would be better to speed run for a charity if you could vote it would be appreciated. If this is the wrong section or if this is not allowed I apologize

(Trying to get poll to work on forum, wondering if settings are made after post I checked the box here. posting a strawpoll just in case)

http://strawpoll.me/131711

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tekni Wintersbane
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Mok'Nathal

Speed run? mgs will probably save you a lot of frustration unless your a god at darksouls.
    both games are equally amazing in their own right.

Dark souls if you rush your more likely to die
    Whereas mgs your just likely to get spotted unless your on the hardest difficulty

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

I would certainly enjoy watching Dark Souls more than MGS3.
    I feel like while the gameplay in MGS games is decent... its more story focused.
    Once you've played through them, there's little reason to experience the game again unless it is specifically for some sort of challenge/speed run (admittedly, you are doing a speed run so part of this is mitigated.)

Dark Souls is far more gameplay oriented though and so simply playing through the game again without any specific objectives can generally be fun and its more fun (in my opinion) to watch because of the different approaches that can be taken. For example, MGS3 speed runs by the people who know the game backwards and forwards will probably look very similar whereas in the case of Dark Souls... there's many efficient ways to handle many of the situations (though for a speedrun you'd most likely use some sort of magic unless you specifically restrict yourself from doing so.)

Anyway, both games are great... but I'd only really want to watch a MGS3 speedrun if I could erase my memory of the game.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tsuko Stark
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Dark souls is a much more watchable game, from a viewer standpoint. Also it's really popular for random twitch viewers. Would you be going for 100%? glitch free?

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Dark Souls would be the more entertaining to watch, but definitely more difficult to not fudge up.

Problem I'd have with MGS3 as a speed-run are the sheer amount of cutscenes/mandatory-codec-calls you have to keep skipping through, messes with the pacing.

If you know how to play it I would definitely do Dark Souls

Doing a Euro Extreme Fox Hound rank MGS3 run isn't exactly any easier than a Dark Souls speedrun (anything else MGS3 wise isn't worth watching or comparing). In both games you need to know your shit inside and out to finish it as soon as possible, so as a matter of difficulty you can't really compare because you'd need someone fucking skilled in either to do it right.

With that said, as much as I love MGS3, Dark Souls would be better to speedrun. MGS3 in a speedrun isn't very fun to watch unless you really know what's going down (and visually it's a bit boring). Dark Souls is the better choice.

I like MGS3 better as a game but Dark Souls would be way more watchable imo

Quote Originally Posted by Teknique View Post
    Speed run? mgs will probably save you a lot of frustration unless your a god at darksouls.
    both games are equally amazing in their own right.
    Right now the Dark souls timing with a gravelord sword run is 2:30 he's trying to get it done a bit quicker though. MGS3 still to be determined as haven't had adequate practice.

Quote Originally Posted by warc View Post
    Dark souls is a much more watchable game, from a viewer standpoint. Also it's really popular for random twitch viewers. Would you be going for 100%? glitch free?
    not 100% avoiding bosses you can skip such as gaping dragon. Glitches I don't think he does any glitches.

I did a charity event last year on my site and this year I'm trying to have it a lot more organized. This time it is speed run oriented and such rather than kind of jumping around without a theme. It'll be a few different people playing different games. MGS3 and Dark Souls are being debated between the two of them in terms of time slots. Someone JUST canceled though after I posted this and the streamer doing Pokémon is having his time shifted so I might have to pick up MGS3.

I'm most likely not going to be doing European Extreme as I'm going to need that margin of error due to how much practice I have of that game. We're not all 100% MLG pro etc. trying to get very good times though and put on a reasonable show for childsplaycharity. (i.e. my Zelda: A link the past timing is around 1:45:38 where as the record is around 1:31 of NA . This is my primary game as well the MGS3 thing is kind of something I might be forced to pick up times due to cancellations and a time shift. The rule of thumb I'm trying to maintain is if its greater than about 15-20% of average speed-runner times then to avoid it.)

So now the poll more oriented towards which has a preferable time slot. Thanks for the feedback everyone look forward to more!

2600klub
    ǝƃuɐɥɔ ǝlʇıʇ ɥʇ01 ǝɥʇ ǝʞıl sı sıɥʇ ƃɯo ʎuunɟ ƃuıɥʇǝɯos ɥɐlq ɥɐlq ɥɐlq ǝɥ ǝǝǝǝǝǝǝlopuɐʌ puǝıɹɟ ʇsǝq s,poƃ ǝsɹoɥ ǝɥʇ sı ǝɥ ǝǝǝǝǝǝlopuɐʌ

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vandole Horsegod
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Dark souls is fantastic to watch. I've hit 50+ viewers on my stream just from being bad at it.

The Mizzle Fizzle of Nikkei's Haremizzle

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

DS, easily. Id watch the everlasting fuck out of a feed. As Vandole said, you can be terrible and get lots of people to watch. Both are great, so I cant throw shade at MGS.

2600klub
    ǝƃuɐɥɔ ǝlʇıʇ ɥʇ01 ǝɥʇ ǝʞıl sı sıɥʇ ƃɯo ʎuunɟ ƃuıɥʇǝɯos ɥɐlq ɥɐlq ɥɐlq ǝɥ ǝǝǝǝǝǝǝlopuɐʌ puǝıɹɟ ʇsǝq s,poƃ ǝsɹoɥ ǝɥʇ sı ǝɥ ǝǝǝǝǝǝlopuɐʌ

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vandole Horsegod
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

You can just taste the rage. And it tastes good.

The Mizzle Fizzle of Nikkei's Haremizzle

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

lol

If I screw up again Im gone forever.
    Secret Admin

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I think being bad enhances the stream, tbh.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Watching bad players fight Capra and O&S is a great way to pass the time.

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vandole Horsegod
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Charismatic View Post
    Watching bad players fight O&S is a great way to pass the time.
    I literally streamed for 7 hours straight trying it. Stream kept on going OMG LET ME COME HELP YOU but I wasn't going to give up. Felt goood to beat bert and ernie on my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Vandole View Post
    I literally streamed for 7 hours straight trying it. Stream kept on going OMG LET ME COME HELP YOU but I wasn't going to give up. Felt goood to beat bert and ernie on my own.
    That's a new one, I always hear them referenced as smores and oreos. Did you use sunbro?

Conejita's Jolly
    Chaparrita's Dulce
    Trigger warning: Fuck your feelings.

BG Level

7 hours? Damn.

Banned.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kaisha View Post
    Dark Souls would be the more entertaining to watch, but definitely more difficult to not fudge up.

Problem I'd have with MGS3 as a speed-run are the sheer amount of cutscenes/mandatory-codec-calls you have to keep skipping through, messes with the pacing.
    This.