+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Firefox 2 trouble     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Old Merits
    BG Level

Firefox 2 trouble

Last night my laptop suddenly cut off, as if I'd unplugged the ac adaptor (I think there's a short in the cord-laptop connection somewhere). Anyway, I immediately turned the computer back on, and without opening anything, shut the computer down. I never shut it down, just did it on a whim after that short out last night.

Well, today I open up Firefox, and all my bookmarks, homepage, and other settings are just gone... it's like it's in safe mode or something, though it doesn't say it is. My custom toolbar searches and the FFXI helper tool are shown, whereas I always keep that hidden (haven't been using it anyway). Now, if I hide that tool bar and then close the program, when I reopen it, the toolbar is shown again, so the program isn't saving that setting now, at least.

Anyone have any idea what's going on here? I tried looking around for my bookmarks folder in Program Files/Mozilla Firefox, but no luck. My OS is XP. My cookies seem to be fine, btw.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

What could have happened is that Firefox created a new profile for you.

Look in \Documents and Settings\<your account>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles and see if there's more than one folder there.

If so, chances are one of them is your old stuff. If not, well, maybe you can poke around in there.

Usually newer versions of Firefox will restore a session if it crashes or you reset the computer without closing it. So it's possible that something just screwed up...but still, the files shouldn't be just gone like that.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Unfortunately, they are =/

I've had sessions restored before, and I've actually had it happen where another profile was created as well, but this time it's a genuine fuck-up. I did some searching around on a Mozilla wiki, and it seems like this is a semi-common bug that happens when there's a sudden power down while Windows & Firefox are both running. Sucks, but I'm already rebuilding my browser the way I like it.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Might wanna try start> "run firefox.exe -profilemanager" just in case your profile is in a weird place.