• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
    St. Fiat
    THE TIME FOR QUESTIONS
    HAS PASSED

BG Level

Strangest game breaker ever [Black Ops]

On a mission to play all the call of duty games. Get me some Black Ops on steam.

The game crashes instantly. The resolution of the monitor changes, then there's a split second of audio from what I assume is the opening logos and whatnot, and the game immediately quits to desktop with no error message, not even in the windows log.

I have tried everything I could find. Video and sound drivers are up to date. Windows is up to date, and a brand new install. Ran steam as admin, ran game as admin, and both. Followed the directions of obscure fixes like changing the desktop resolution to 1024x768 before booting up. Nothing I do makes the slightest difference, it just crashes to desktop immediately.

It gets weirder. Multiplayer works fine. Haven't tried to join a real match, but I was able to play a training mission with bots just fine.

If anyone has any crazy ideas, I'm all ears at this point. Atm, it looks like $40 going down the drain.

Oh, specs.

Core2 Duo E6750, 2.6 ghz
    Radeon X5700
    Windows 7 64 bit
    Intel board, I forget the model

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Every time I see a crash-on-logos thing it tends to be a problem with the BINK codec, which the majority of multi-platform games nowadays use for video playback. Does the multiplayer component have a similar logo boot?

St. Fiat
    THE TIME FOR QUESTIONS
    HAS PASSED

BG Level

It does not, which makes sense. Is there some way to de-bugify bink?

St. Fiat
    THE TIME FOR QUESTIONS
    HAS PASSED

BG Level

Deleting the bink and steam dlls along with the intro movie bik files and having steam verify seems to have fixed it. Now to see if it runs okay, because it didn't when I pirated it ages ago. Thanks for the suggestion.