1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 21 hours, 39 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 2 hours, 20 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 14 hours, 39 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 19 hours, 20 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: paladin rotation!     submit to reddit submit to twitter

paladin rotation!

Yes. I mean just Paladin, what happens after you equip your soul crystal.

Although I initially wished to discuss gearing as well, I wanted to narrow the scope to just rotations. AOE rotations as well as single target. 

Note: I do understand WARs are a bit better suited as AOE tanks, I just hope we can work to figure out a viable solution to adds/mobs incase a WAR simply isn't present or somehow indisposed.

Single-target: With my current AF gearing, I've found there isn't a class/job yet that has been able to get hate off me with this current rotation. Hopefully it's just not because I might be playing with the not-so-goods.

Shield Oath ---> Target boss A ---> Pull via Shield Lob (Tied to a marking macro) ---> Spirits Within (During GCD) ---> Fast Blade ---> Savage Blade ---> Rage of Halone ---> Repeat Fast Blade - Savage blade if no notable loss in hate.

A. If loss in hate, Provoke. If loss in hate again, consider Cover + Shield Lob + Fast, Savage, Halone combo. If still unable to get hate, consider quitting FFXIV. 

B. If moment of damage spike, roll defensive cooldowns concurrently. I've been rolling Rampart + Foresight, Sentinel by itself, Bulwark + Conv. + Fight or Flight + Bloodbath (I call this BCFB), and Hallowed Ground by itself.

C. Use Shield Swipe on CD. Use with Bulwark if you wish to go on a TP conservative phase.

D. A lot of people don't seem to understand that Shield Bash is an interrupt, use it often to avoid unnecessary damage. It interrupts a ton of spells.

E. If you want to get even more hate, throw Circle of Scorn when you want (I do it during fast blade.) 

In regards to this. Do you agree with my rotation? Do you disagree? Either way, can you provide some data or more in-depth knowledge of these abilities.

AOE Rotation: In all honesty, I can only manage around 3 mobs at the moment, maybe 4 on a good day. Black Mages and their AOE > me. I certainly hope you all know something I don't.

Target Mob 1, mark --> Shield Lob mob 1, position all mobs within Flash Vicinity ---> Flash---> Circle of Scorn ---> Target mob 2 and use Fast Blade ---> target Mob 1 and use Riot Blade ---> Target Mob 3 and use Savage Blade. ---> Flash ----> Fast Blade on 2 ---> Riot Blade on 1 (Alternate WS between targets and be sure to use either Riot or Halone on the mob your party is attacking

A. The idea is to alternate between targets with a focus on what the party is attacking. Shield Swipe, Spirits Within and Circle of Scorn should be used when available and the combo weapons skills are sort of just a buffer. 

B. Cooldowns used when needed, same as single target. 

B. Admittedly, my AOE rotation feels somewhat.. incomplete. It's not set and very much reliant on priority and keeping mental track of what I haven't hit yet, so I can.. hit it next. 

Some questions I had:

Is there a way to know how much hate we have on a mob, besides the UI element on the left that shows the 4 different icons/colors? 

Exactly how does provoke work? 

Does Flash get more useless the more it's used? 

Has anyone figured out how much hate each of our abilities pull?

What exactly is 'pacification'?

Nikkei's Hoe
    Worse than her at uno

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Eanae Hikari
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Hyjal

No.
    Provoke is like WoW taunt. Instant top of threat list.
    Flash is probably only good for aoe or the occasional blind for the mitigation help.
    Think it's directly tied to potency except the chain bonuses.
    Pacification is like amnesia in XI. Disables use of abilities.

Pacification makes it so the enemy can't use abilities. Gives that tip if you mouse over it when it's on the enemy.

Anyways, not much else to add right now. Only lv37 PLD, but definitely going to keep an eye on this thread.

Edit: Beaten

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ferien Terzo
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Vorbild View Post
    Is there a way to know how much hate we have on a mob, besides the UI element on the left that shows the 4 different icons/colors? 
    When in a party, it shows bars underneath each icon with relative hate levels. Or is that what you're referring to?

THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shiroe Blackrose
    FFXIV Server
    Diabolos
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Eanae View Post
    Provoke is like WoW taunt. Instant top of threat list.
    This is something a lot of GLDs/PLDs need to learn. I've seen a number of them starting encounters with Provoke instead of Shield Lob, and it always causes complications early in the encounter.

Running Hell
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Curly Brace
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

There are 2 ways to determine hate. The 4 different Icons and Colors you refer to is attached to the Enemy List that shows all currently engaged enemies by you or your party, this is mostly to keep track of adds and whether you still have hate on them or not. The other method as Ferien mentioned is the little white bars beneath the class icon in the Party List that shows relative hate values on a scale of 0-100% on your current target.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    San Solara
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Asura

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Irvy Ryath
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

AOE Rotation: In all honesty, I can only manage around 3 mobs at the moment, maybe 4 on a good day. Black Mages and their AOE > me. I certainly hope you all know something I don't.
    It really depends on the group setup and on the players. With dragoon or archer it can get messy when they start bursting asap.

Like you I had issue on tanking more than 4 mobs (i m not yet 50 so no circle of scorn) until I started to do that :

Shield lob -> Flash -> Flash -> fast blade, savage blade on the focused mob (mob 1) -> Rage of halone on mob 2 -> fast blade on mob 1 -> savage blade on mob 1 -> flash -> rage of halone on mob 3 -> fast blade on mob 1 -> savage blade on mob 1 -> rage of halone on mob 4. Rinse and repeat (mob 1 should actually be long dead)

Does Flash get more useless the more it's used?
    Actually there is a diminishing return on the blind debuff so spamming it isn't really a sound idea at first glance, but I found that it helped to hold aggro versus the healer while you re working cycling rage of halone on the monsters.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Not entirely related to the OP but I didn't want to make a new thread, and this is the only Paladin one that I can find. I've been using STR/Skill Speed/Determination accessories, should I be using VIT/Parry? STR/SP/Determination seems a lot more useful, but idk.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Wow... Been using provoke like FFXI... Feel dumb now. Thank you for the chart and info, very helpful. I do the same as OP for rotations.

As a tank, do you always mark mob order befor engaging it depends on the group? Slows the flow down but seems to help avoid things going poorly. Main downside is having 4 macro spots used on them and running out of spots (34 PLD). Yes that could be a separate topic...

Nikkei's Hoe
    Worse than her at uno

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Eanae Hikari
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Hyjal

Quote Originally Posted by Prothescar View Post
    Not entirely related to the OP but I didn't want to make a new thread, and this is the only Paladin one that I can find. I've been using STR/Skill Speed/Determination accessories, should I be using VIT/Parry? STR/SP/Determination seems a lot more useful, but idk.
    I'm using a mix now. Don't get hit too too hard at the moment. Only done Ifrit Hard so far though so I have no idea how hard anything higher hits.

I only mark main target. Takes too long to go through everything.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Brimah View Post
    Wow... Been using provoke like FFXI... Feel dumb now. Thank you for the chart and info, very helpful. I do the same as OP for rotations.

As a tank, do you always mark mob order befor engaging it depends on the group? Slows the flow down but seems to help avoid things going poorly. Main downside is having 4 macro spots used on them and running out of spots (34 PLD). Yes that could be a separate topic...
    How are you running out of spots? There are 10 macro bars.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    San Solara
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Eanae View Post
    I only mark main target. Takes too long to go through everything.
    Same here. I've noticed that whether I mark one of them or all of them it doesn't really change how the dds respond.

Awesome chart.

So, any opinions on abilities from other jobs? For example, does anyone really focus on curing themselves a lot? I find it does help a bit, but that just may be a carry over habit from FFXI. Then again I have nothing but randoms in my dungeons, so not always the best healers.

Just wondering if/what I should level. Perhaps level CONJ to get a higher cure spell or not? (not even sure what exactly would carry over, tbh) On the same note, any idea on how hate cure may actually give? I feel like it's a pretty decent bit as I've had a few occasions where my healer died and I had to spam it on myself, and kept hate quite well just from that.

Nikkei's Hoe
    Worse than her at uno

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Eanae Hikari
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Hyjal

I only really use the 20% defense ability from Warrior. I suppose bloodbath would be ok too.

Running Hell
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Curly Brace
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Quote Originally Posted by Minnich View Post
    Awesome chart.

So, any opinions on abilities from other jobs? For example, does anyone really focus on curing themselves a lot? I find it does help a bit, but that just may be a carry over habit from FFXI. Then again I have nothing but randoms in my dungeons, so not always the best healers.

Just wondering if/what I should level. Perhaps level CONJ to get a higher cure spell or not? (not even sure what exactly would carry over, tbh) On the same note, any idea on how hate cure may actually give? I feel like it's a pretty decent bit as I've had a few occasions where my healer died and I had to spam it on myself, and kept hate quite well just from that.
    Read the link he posted with the chart, it has other info on Hate from WAR abilities, Cures, etc. Cures have a reduced hate modifier so however much you cure you are actually getting less hate than that. That combined with melee weapons not having magic damage on them and healing potency being low on PLD, as well as being restricted to Cure 1 only (Cure II and Cure III are CNJ exclusive) makes curing yourself a waste of MP that could be used for Flash or Global Cooldown that could be used for damage/stun.

As far as cross-class abilities, WAR doesn't really provide much. Like Eanae said Foresight and Bloodbath are the only things that even benefit you and from CNJ maybe Stoneskin? Although your healer should be using that instead so *shrug*.

Ah, missed the link. Thanks.

Good information. Still feel like Cure does come in handy in every so often (albeit rarely). I don't use it regularly, that's for sure, but it has saved my ass a few times. Guess I just miss the PLD from FFXI.

Tom Wilson will never be good.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zero Star
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

For the people running out of slots(which I don't get with so many bars) but you can also make macros and combine abilities. ie;

/ac “Rampart” <me>
    /ac “Foresight” <me>
    /ac “Keen Flurry” <me> (gld only)
    /ac “Featherfoot” <me> (gld only)

/ac “Fight or Flight” <me>
    /ac "Shield Swipe" <t>
    /ac “Fast Blade” <t>
    /ac “Shield Lob” <t> (if mob is out of range for fb, lob hits)

/ac “Second Wind” <me> (gld only)
    /ac "Cure" <me>

/ac “Fight or Flight” <me>
    /ac "Bloodbath" <me>
    /ac "Internal Release" <me> (gld only)

Just turn off error messages. The first avail. ability fires off and everything else "errors", so if you want multiple things to go at once (ForF + BB), just hit it twice. I also have shield swipe in some stuff, so I can hit it easier when it is available. Obviously there are some abilities listed that PLD cannot use and I have my defensive abilities and other things on a separate "cooldown" hotbar.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Gorgonnash

Didn't see another thread for this so:

Tower shield, buckler, or kite shield?

This class is so faceroll compared to Warrior lol.

But, wanted to add that Stoneskin is good for your bar, way better than cure if you're looking to add an HP related spell. Can cast in downtimes so you're not losing DPS/Hate. (Garuda, Titan, Ifrit jumps) WHM should be taking care of you otherwise.