+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Crazy weird PS3 issues     submit to reddit submit to twitter

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Crazy weird PS3 issues

My PS3 (fat, MGS4 bundle) was working fine earlier this week in my living room. My wife and I finally cleaned out our 3rd bedroom and I'm setting it up with my video game stuff with my old LCD 32" Westinghouse TV. Hooked up the 360 (HDMI), Wii (composite), both work fine. PS3 via HDMI was acting weird. First, with XCOM inside, it would launch to the game directly but the audio was completely fucked up - any time I'd see a picture it would give a repeating static signal, no game audio. When I'd try to exit to the PS homescreen it would go black, no signal found. I'd unplug that HDMI and stick it into the back of my 360, worked fine. I'd take the PS3 out to my living room, worked fine. Swapping HDMI cords hasn't helped. Changing power outlets hasn't helped. I'm out of troubleshooting options, can't even get the bad audio glitch to happen now - just "Autosource detecting new signal, switching to HDMI 2" when I turn it on or plug the HDMI cable in (if it's on), and then "HDMI 2 - No Signal Detected".

The PS3 works just fine on my living room TV, and the cables/outlets I'm using work fine for other systems, but something in this combination is not working. I've tried 3 different HDMI cords, in both HDMI inputs on the TV. I even tried the old composite cable to this tv, couldn't get picture (although that could be an A/V output setting on the PS3).

Any suggestions? Is there a "reset to factory default" thing I can do with the PS3? I'm at a total loss.

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Try holding the power button until it beeps twice. That will reset your a/v settings.

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Yea, my guess is the westinghouse probably has a lower resolution and the PS3 is trying to keep at the resolution of the old tv.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Melena View Post
    Yea, my guess is the westinghouse probably has a lower resolution and the PS3 is trying to keep at the resolution of the old tv.
    Yep. Plugged into the working TV, told it to stop auto-selecting video output, set it to 720p, now it works.