1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 1 hours, 3 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 22 hours, 56 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 18 hours, 3 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 15 hours, 56 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Letter from the Producer, XLIV (03/19/2013)

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/61306

Hello again to all of you eagerly awaiting FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn. I've been up to my neck in work preparing for phase 2 of the beta test, but I thought it was high time I sent out the forty-fourth Letter from the Producer!

The beta test is well underway, and the team is working hard to implement more features while addressing your feedback. All of you gamepad lovers better grab your favorite controller, because we're making final adjustments to the system so you can test it out in phase 2!

With 100,000 testers already playing the game, we've had severe server congestion every time we start up the servers, and I apologize for the trouble it's caused. One good thing that's come from this, however, is that we've been able to spot problems that didn't show up in the alpha test, and we've managed to fix them as quickly as possible. These issues wouldn't have been resolved without your help.

However, there's still room for improvement in stabilizing the servers. We've implemented measures to alleviate FATE-related performance issues, made adjustments to the frontend server, and addressed server load issues in the starting zones. Bear with us for another weekend of phase 1 testing.

As I mentioned earlier, gamepad functionality will be ready for testing in phase 2, which is scheduled to begin in early April. Right before that begins, I'll be making an appearance in another LIVE letter, so don't miss it! We'll also be adding testers to put more pressure on the servers, so if you're not a beta tester yet, you'll have a chance to join in the next phase.

Keep in mind that testing the gamepad is the focus of the second phase, so the available content will be mostly the same. In my last letter I briefly mentioned guildhests, which are based on behests from Version 1.0. After reading your feedback, we decided to adjust this system so that you can attempt them at a lower level. Guildhests are scheduled for phase 3, and I hope you'll be ready when they're finished!

It wouldn't be fair to keep talking about things like this without showing you some amazing screenshots, so...

http://static.finalfantasyxiv.com/to.../ef/9023_0.jpg

http://static.finalfantasyxiv.com/to.../ef/9023_1.jpg

http://static.finalfantasyxiv.com/to.../ef/9023_2.jpg

Here's a look at guildhests. It's an easy way to party up with friends, and can be enjoyed before you tackle dungeons later on, so look forward to group play even in the early levels.

Well, it's time for me to get back to work. I think I hear my gamepad calling me.
    See you next time, on the forums, or in the Beta Test!

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

No Guildhest until Phase 3 ugh -.-

But that's some pretty nice exp it gives Wonder how long will they usually take.

filthy liars!
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deuce Angaar
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

100,000 beta testers? Isn't that higher then many of us believed?

Either way that's a pretty strong showing for a beta test under these circumstances. Hopefully it will last.

New Odin
    BG Level

I wonder if their unusually fast pace will be noticeable in the progress of the beta test too, or whether they'll go back to a more reasonable pace.

Two years to make an AAA MMO is definitely not normal. Usually it's more like five. I guess it depends what exactly they did to cut the time so much. You can see the old XIV in ARR but considering how much shit there was in most aspects of the old version that is no longer there.... They didn't cut a lot of corners.

/rambling

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

So, one more week of Phase 1? At this rate Phase 3 will last at least 2 months.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Alkar View Post
    So, one more week of Phase 1? At this rate Phase 3 will last at least 2 months.
    It will be 4th week so still goes as the roadmap says.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Maybe a 6/7th of April start for the P2 if all goes to plan ofc ties in with the 1-2 weeks after P1 mentioned on the roadmap

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xenor Vernix
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

Gotta laugh at those people who wouldn't play last weekend because they were sure their characters would be wiped on Monday. Now that they're certain they'll be wiped next week they'll skip that test too.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    Gotta laugh at those people who wouldn't play last weekend because they were sure their characters would be wiped on Monday. Now that they're certain they'll be wiped next week they'll skip that test too.
    What kind of reasoning is that. Going this way there was no point playing at all from the first test.

Correction, there was no point in playing past the first week, other than wanting to try out the new dungeon. I wish we could skip right over phase 2 and into 3. I mean fk it, I'll test out the gamepad for shits and giggles, not that I'd legitimately use it at retail other than crafting from like 20 feet away.

New Merits
    BG Level

Early April = April 29th

But I don't want my title changed
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fievel Mousekewitz
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Waraji View Post
    Correction, there was no point in playing past the first week, other than wanting to try out the new dungeon. I wish we could skip right over phase 2 and into 3. I mean fk it, I'll test out the gamepad for shits and giggles, not that I'd legitimately use it at retail other than crafting from like 20 feet away.
    Lmao, we use gamepad for the exact same reason. Craft while watching a movie on the couch.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Correction, there was no point in playing past the first week, other than wanting to try out the new dungeon.
    Yes, but if everyone thought that they couldn't even test their servers properly

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xenor Vernix
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

Well that's the thing, we're not there to "play" the game, we're there to test it. Of course 99% of the people in the beta have no interest in testing. I'm going to focus on DoH/L in phase 2 as it seems pointless going over the same battle content again. Might have to look into how to connect a PS3 controller to a PC.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Those 99% are there to help identify server stress problems, which requires them to do nothing but play the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    Well that's the thing, we're not there to "play" the game, we're there to test it. Of course 99% of the people in the beta have no interest in testing. I'm going to focus on DoH/L in phase 2 as it seems pointless going over the same battle content again. Might have to look into how to connect a PS3 controller to a PC.
    Well shit, that sounds like a pretty good idea. I guess I'll do gather come Phase 2. Tried it in Alpha, was pretty decent. Didn't touch it phase 1. Good looking out Seph. I am also under the continued impression that we were still only stress testing server load, which I participated it gladly every weekend. Other than that, testing gameplay is rather arbitrary to me.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Hyan View Post
    I wonder if their unusually fast pace will be noticeable in the progress of the beta test too, or whether they'll go back to a more reasonable pace.

Two years to make an AAA MMO is definitely not normal. Usually it's more like five. I guess it depends what exactly they did to cut the time so much. You can see the old XIV in ARR but considering how much shit there was in most aspects of the old version that is no longer there.... They didn't cut a lot of corners.

/rambling
    A lot of that time is art assets which I believe a lot are moving over.

filthy liars!
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deuce Angaar
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Quote Originally Posted by Raldo View Post
    Those 99% are there to help identify server stress problems, which requires them to do nothing but play the game.
    I'm pretty sure you can plug it in using the USB cable that came with your system. If you want to play wirelessly you'll probably need a 3rd party adapter/controller.

As for the development speed of ARR I'm not too surprised they were able to do it in 2 years. You have to remember that a lot if time during early development is spent doing concept and planning. Then after that the game systems and graphics engine has to be made.

It could be argued that ARR had to do that as well, but they had a lot more resources and a clear direction provided by Yoshida. Tanaka on the other hand couldn't find his hand in front of his face.

Also have to remember that the original roadmap predicted the game would've been out by now. Yoshida even mentioned during live letter 3 or 4 that they were 2.5 months behind schedule and that was in November.

New Odin
    BG Level

Art assets moving over is quite likely an important reason.

The fact the team had to drag along the old version with them for like a year and a half must not have helped. Probably was quite a nightmare to plan everything out.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Take as much time as you need, Yoshi. If the game doesn't launch until Quarter 4 of 2013, and is a better product because of it, I'd be happy. Not that it will, but I wouldn't mind.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast