+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Name that game?!     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Formerly BGTemp // TERA Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Name that game?!

Hookay, so this is a looong shot and I don't have much to go on but vague memories of this as a kid. Here goes.

I remember the game was in the arcade (no idea if a console version was ever made). It was a space/sci-fi style game, side scroller and I think 2-3 players. Each player was either top, middle, or bottom on long corridors. I think you could join your friends by entering elevators. I remember running around and shooting aliens and stuff. I think maybe the players to choose from were 2 guys and 1 girl. Graphically it was kinda like Rampage era. I played this at a pizza place during soccer season, my friend and I loved it. As for the year.. hmm.. man, maybe late, 80s/early 90s. Well before '93 easy.

I have no idea who made the game either. I was watching some "lets play" stuff on youtube and this game popped into my mind. I would love to download this if some sort of version exists. Alas, the name escapes me

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Xenophobe

http://www.hurtmeplenty.com/wp-conte.../xenophobe.jpg

I remember that game vividly. I recall it being decidedly gory for its time; almost a Splatterhouse, just with green blood and aliens instead of corpses.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Speaking of gory/messed up games for its time, anyone remember Monster Party for the nes? man, some of the bosses in that game were so messed up, devs must have been on something

New Odin
    BG Level

What's that Amiga game where you played a sidescroller with one/two suit guys? Man I had a lot of fun with my friend playing that one.

Formerly BGTemp // TERA Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by miokomioko View Post
    Xenophobe

I remember that game vividly. I recall it being decidedly gory for its time; almost a Splatterhouse, just with green blood and aliens instead of corpses.
    OMG YES THIS IS IT!!! Wow, thanks a lot! :D This game was never anwywhere close by so I never had any real time to play it.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Hyan View Post
    What's that Amiga game where you played a sidescroller with one/two suit guys? Man I had a lot of fun with my friend playing that one.
    Spy vs Spy?

New Odin
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kaisha View Post
    Spy vs Spy?
    Hmm that's not it, thanks though. Everything happened on one screen iirc.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

It wasn't JJ & Jeff? I don't think it was on the Amiga, just Turbografix 16.

http://www.oldgamesclub.com/snap/pce/jj%20&%20jeff.png

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

/hijiacking, maybe someone can help:
    I searched within all mame roms but can't find this shooter: arcade from late 90-00 (I rememebr being next to virtua striker 2), top scrolling, somewhat futuristic, probably made by Taito. You could power-up wepons in 3 different ways: blue was the standard shot (2 shots -> 4 up to something like 8 or 16), green was continuos green laser that increased in width the more power up you'd got. Last red upgrade was something like a chain-lightning beam: at max upgrade it would look like some huge lightning storm that stuck to enemies.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Off the top of my head it sounds like Blazing Lazers, but I don't that was ever in the arcades (TG16) and there was more than those 3 weapons.

Everybody's Favourite Nobody
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Hyan View Post
    Is it Blues Brothers? That's what I first thought of, at least

2600klub
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Ok let's try this

It's a 4x type game from the early/mid 90s you could build on planets like mining/space production/etc, it wasn't turn based - each "map" was split into small groups of 4-10 planets and a big travel distance to the opponents side.

( not star control/moo )

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

VGA Planets?

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Nah it's way more limited than that, it's more of a hybrid RTS than a full 4X type game.

New Odin
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Metah View Post
    Is it Blues Brothers? That's what I first thought of, at least
    Yep, that's it! How could I forget how amazing the music is in that game. Thanks a lot.

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Nvm, found it.

It's called Star Reach