+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

2 different bills for 1 hospital visit??? Is this normal?

So I went to the hospital a few weeks ago for what turned out to be a bad algeric reaction to tide laundry detergent.

Anywho, I get a bill in, 255$. Ok it's high but whatever I knew that going into it. Then I get a call from the hospital a week later about what I can only assume is the bill. I call back, they tell me I owe 88.50$ and know nothing about the 255$ bill. I was relieved I didn't owe so much, went to the hospital that day and paid them.

This was like a month ago, fast forward to now and I got a 255$ reminder bill....

I got out the old bill for 88.50$ (they actually did send me a bill from the hospital like the same day I ended up paying, so I had a copy), and noticed they are from 2 different places. One is from the hospital (88.50) and the other is from "West alabama emergency physicians" (255).

Is it normal it get 2 different bills? Is something up??? I ONLY went to the hospital so I'm not sure why I have 2 different bills...

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

One bill from the hospital, one bill from the company that provided the paramedic care.

Sounds normal to me given how fucked up American health care is, unless you didn't get a ride in an ambulance.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

It could also be from whatever doctor did see you. Sometimes doctors work in a hospital but they bill separately from the hospital. I have seen this during surgery you will get a bill from the hospital for the room and the surgeons and you will get a second bill from the anesthesiologist. Not sure if this is that case but it does happen.

Science Fiction Super Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

i love health care topics! AMERICA #1

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

It's a common occurrence. Most likely, which was said above, it was the doctors bill for the $255. Doctors like to charge ridiculous fee's in the ER for a 5 minute visit to you where they ask you 2 questions and give you a quick exam. I swear nurses in most hospital's know more medicine than the doctors.

Sounds like Canada is the best option.

But no, I did not ride in an ambulance or anything like that.

Is it true that hospital bills don't go on your credit report if left unpaid? And they are like the one bill that they can't garnish your wages with? Because as far as I'm concerned I payed the hospital, and didn't ask for a treatment from a private doctor, so fuck if I'm paying him. Especially considering that all he did was walk in, say algeric reaction, and walk out.

Also, I don't have the original copy of the 255$ bill with me, but I remember seeing a breakdown of the costs and one of them was going to the ER, so why am I paying for the same thing twice???

Smells like Onions
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

ya and wait in line for months or years if anything serious ever happens to you.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

Canada's health care system is falling apart. people cant seem to get past the word 'free' though

The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

I've gotten seperate bills for the same stay for the anesthisiologist, radiologist, cardiologist, etc. It's weird, but I think it's mostly because of my insurance requirements.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    Is it true that hospital bills don't go on your credit report if left unpaid?
    False, anything that goes into collections goes right on your credit report.

Get the bill you hate, look for the list of services provided. If they're not there, ask for a detailed invoice from the company. Flat out refusing to pay won't work in your favor if there's even one legit charge on there.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

It's sad but it won't make a difference. They'll come after you for the $255.00. No matter what you'd have had to pay it, whether they broke it down into 1 bill or 2 bills. He wasn't a private doctor at the time, he was the doctor on call for the hospital that you ended up with. Better to just pay it up, if you call the line, a lot of the time they'll let you do payment's over 3 months with no interest if you ask them.

Quote Originally Posted by Correction View Post
    False, anything that goes into collections goes right on your credit report.

Get the bill you hate, look for the list of services provided. If they're not there, ask for a detailed invoice from the company. Flat out refusing to pay won't work in your favor if there's even one legit charge on there.
    Sweet a constructive reply on the topic. Thanks.

I'm pretty sure like 1 charge was legit (him seeing me) the other charge (me going to the ER) was paid to the hospital already. I'm really confused as to why I'd have to pay that one twice...

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Gurubashi

Quote Originally Posted by tyven View Post
    Canada's health care system is falling apart. people cant seem to get past the word 'free' though
    This.

Free health care =/= best health care.

Quote Originally Posted by IssacVS View Post
    It's sad but it won't make a difference. They'll come after you for the $255.00. No matter what you'd have had to pay it, whether they broke it down into 1 bill or 2 bills. He wasn't a private doctor at the time, he was the doctor on call for the hospital that you ended up with. Better to just pay it up, if you call the line, a lot of the time they'll let you do payment's over 3 months with no interest if you ask them.
    You're more thank likely right. I honestly thought that my bill was 88$ though and that the 255$ thing was some kinda fluke....cause...ya know...88$ is what the hospital said I owed. I'm sure I can just call them, explain that, and set up some kinda payment plan or whatnot. Let's hope anyways.

IT ONLY TOOK 11 YEARS.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Devia Danoma
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

For future reference, try to negotiate your final bill at the time of treatment. You can receive ridiculously deep discounts on emergency care if you offer to settle all charges immediately via cash, check or credit card payment.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Most of the times, hospitals are very lenient on payment plans. Last two times I had to go to the ER, I would get the bill and I'd call them and ask for a payment plan option and they would allow me to do 3 payments, each a third of the bill. If you explain the situation to them calmly and without argument, most likely they will allow for payment plans. It all comes down to the hospital and who they outsource their payment collections to. Hospitals understand in today's day and age, money is tight and most of the time will try and work with you.

The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    Sweet a constructive reply on the topic. Thanks.

I'm pretty sure like 1 charge was legit (him seeing me) the other charge (me going to the ER) was paid to the hospital already. I'm really confused as to why I'd have to pay that one twice...
    Most insurance plans have an ER co-pay. The bill could be the co-pay. Also, a lot of insurances will not pay for services administered in the ER that are not an emergency. I've had to dispute ER charges that were billed to me because of this (ultimately, the insurance company did pay for it).

As far as hospital bills going onto your credit report. Most hospitals will wait a very very long time before turning it over to collections. Also, they'll allow you to pay a retardedly low monthly payment, interest free, in order to resolve the debt. My wife's friend had a baby without state funded medicaid or insurance. Bill was a bit over $5000, and she pays $10 a month.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Like people have said before, 2nd bill could be the doctor bill. I once got billed by the doctor 1 year after the fact...(not going into detail about that one)

Anyways, if you are young a student or anything.. you can apply for some free coverage from the goverment too. I think is medicare or something I don't remember.. but it does exist and not only for ppl over 60...gl

Science Fiction Super Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Mezmerize View Post
    This.

Free health care =/= best health care.
    i went to the ER twice in one week, once for swelling eyelids (epinefrin(sp) and something else), and once for my daughter, was out of there in less then 3 hours both times with adequate service and medical treatment

what else is i should be getting slightly higher taxes then my neighbors to the south. golden toilet seats and silk bedsheets is your idea of the best healthcare i guess?

oh ya all of this was my my cities new hospital that was just completed last year. darn canada and it's horrible healthcare system

edit: and i didnt get a bill for any of it