+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Non-profit question...     submit to reddit submit to twitter

the elephant whisperer
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Non-profit question...

I have heard of several places that sell software/hardware at discounted rates to non-profit organizations and was wondering if any of you guys knew of any that I may have missed. We are looking for software specifically at the moment, but hardware would be good to know as well for the future. We have used TechSoup.org in the past and really liked them, but just curious if there are any others that you guys know of that donate or sell discounted. Thanks in advance.

The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

It's probably easier for you to search for grant money and use that to buy software. Every so often, we manage to call up some mom & pop's shops to donate items that we need for our facility (for instance, we had a bunch of new flowers and landscaping items donated this year), but it's just a hell of a lot easier for us to apply for grant money and buy the things we need. It may be a little tougher for your facility though, I don't know how many programs there are that give money to programs like yours. Research if there's any grants for programs like yours, or call up some local computer shops, explain what you do, and ask if they can help you with a discount or even donate the software that you need to streamline the care of those precious elephants. Milk it for all it's worth.

Oh, as far as hardware, that's been easy to find for us, but you won't get the best of the best. Call up some accounting firms in the area. They tend to replace computers quite often, and they'll probably have some old one's that they are willing to give away. At least the ones around here do.

Ridill
    BG Level

It's too late to call my mom, but she's worked with Rainbows United, LSS, and then Hospice for a long long time, and now is in charge of a company that makes Hospice software, I'll give her a call tomorrow and I'm sure she'll have some good ideas for you.

Feel free to toss me a pm (or just post here) if there's anything more specific you want me to ask about.

the elephant whisperer
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I appreciate the replies guys. Money isn't really the issue...we do quite well with donations, it's just that we'd always like to save money where we can. We got XP Pro through the site I listed earlier at 20 dollars per user when we first got our PC's. My boss is interested in getting Windows 7 when it comes out and some other programs as well. Our computers were nice...7 or 8 years ago. They are showing their age now and while we don't do a "lot" with them, we're planning on changing that and I'm hoping to talk them into upgrading soon. If I can attach a lower price tag on it than they're expecting I have a better chance of getting what I want. I am going to contact Gateway, Dell, Apple, and Microsoft and see if there's any chance at getting things donated...but I'm not holding my breath.

@ Plow: I would like to hear what she has done in the past. If you don't mind asking her for me.

Thanks a lot for the replies guys. We are really lucky here that we have the support that we do and are able to do the things we do for these awesome animals. Apparently we're very close to signing a deal with Warner Bros to do an animated movie about Tarra and Bella (the elephant and dog friend combo). Disney offered to do a live-action movie, with Tarra or another trained elephant...but that goes against everything we're working toward so we told them no thank you. Hopefully we'll get some more attention to these animals plight and help end the suffering they're going through.