+ Reply to Thread

Thread: If you like Indy Rap     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Relic Shield
    BG Level

If you like Indy Rap

If you like Indy Rap, POS's c.d. Audition came out today, I got it, it's amazing.

for more sound clips, more info. Check out

http://www.myspace.com/posisruiningmylife

if you don't like rap just stay out of the thread, you do realise your bumping it.

What exactly is 'Indy Rap'?

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Rap that is not exclusively about money/cars/women

Predictably Unpredictable
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Indy? I've always called it underground..

Quote Originally Posted by XxSlusherxx
    That shit was never rap. I can't stand 'hip hop' today, I will never understand how people will identify with and buy music by people just talking about how much money they have. Huge respect for Big Boi on like Cribs or something when he said "People know we make a shitload of money, they don't need to hear about it on our records, we have other things to talk about."

Rap didn't used to be about this crap, when Ice Cube/Tupac/Biggie were huge it was about struggle and overcoming, look at the statements made on records like Amerikkka's Most Wanted or Me Against The World. There are no statements anymore, just bragging about grillz over shitty Lil Jon beats. If a whistle playing over and over in the most irritating fashion possible is a 'beat.'

Only people I can listen to lately without throwing up are Cannibal Ox and Mos Def and Ludacris, at least those guys are creative with language and at least Ludacris is occasionally funny. Real mainstream rap died though when Biggie and Tupac died and Ice Cube and LL started making movies. It's sad that 'indy rap' really just means 'rap that doesn't suck ass' which is almost nothing right now.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Luminaire
    Quote Originally Posted by XxSlusherxx
    That shit was never rap. I can't stand 'hip hop' today, I will never understand how people will identify with and buy music by people just talking about how much money they have. Huge respect for Big Boi on like Cribs or something when he said "People know we make a shitload of money, they don't need to hear about it on our records, we have other things to talk about."

Rap didn't used to be about this crap, when Ice Cube/Tupac/Biggie were huge it was about struggle and overcoming, look at the statements made on records like Amerikkka's Most Wanted or Me Against The World. There are no statements anymore, just bragging about grillz over shitty Lil Jon beats. If a whistle playing over and over in the most irritating fashion possible is a 'beat.'

Only people I can listen to lately without throwing up are Cannibal Ox and Mos Def and Ludacris, at least those guys are creative with language and at least Ludacris is occasionally funny. Real mainstream rap died though when Biggie and Tupac died and Ice Cube and LL started making movies. It's sad that 'indy rap' really just means 'rap that doesn't suck ass' which is almost nothing right now.
    QFT

I like Atmosphere, that's pretty much it for me in the world of rap/hip-hop.

New Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Almaa
    Atmosphere is phenominal, also check out Eyedea and Abilities album First Born. Sage Francis, who's also on their label, was in town a couple months ago, the show was insane - A Healthy Distrust and Sick of Waging War are his best. MF Doom is a lot of fun, he's got a whole album about Adult Swim.

You got the links! Go buy stuff, or at least download it for free and raise awareness!

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Almaa
    POS is same label(rhymesayers) as Atmosphere and Slug appears on two songs. If you saw atmosphere's last tour, you saw POS, who opened for them. If you like Atmosphere this is right up your ally.

I have all of MF Doom's CDs, he's insane.

Danger Doom is the adult swim CD, it's extreamly bad ass. DJ Danger Mouse + MF Doom = Danger Doom.

If you don't want rap about cars/ice/bling, check out Saigon, Talib Kweli, Common Sence, Nas, MF Doom, Immortal Techinque, Mos Def, Wu Tang Clan.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

when i first read the topic (yes, i'm that slow) i thought you were talking about rap from indianapolis. i'm usually not a spelling whore, but because of my own confusion i'll correct you with "Indie."

oh and bonnaroo and coachella were announced during the past couple days... anybody going to either of those? atmosphere is playing bonnaroo, want to go almaa?

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/news/06-0 ... l#bonnaroo

gang starr, de la soul, tribe called quest. nuff said.

these days mos def, common, talib, the roots, nas.

thanks for the suggestions, I got some Sage and I liked what downloaded so far, I have Eyedea and POS queued up so I'll have to listen to it later, I'll try to download some more stuff while I'm in class