Art Connesseur of Blue Gartr
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Odess E'iron
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Getting a refund on a flight? (Or a credit at least?)

Question for the people of BG. I know a lot of you guys travel more than I do. I couldn't find too much online so this is where I am turning.

Next week I have a flight scheduled to leave to Texas via United Airlines.

I am no longer going to be able to make this flight. Maybe you guys know something I may not.

Brief rundown of events:

-Took vacation from work 2 weeks ago, exhausted v.time
    -Came back to work for a week (last week)
    -Asked if I could to to SXSW in Austin next week. Boss said yes to my surprise. Use 1 personal day, 2 days not paid, but other days in the pay period can work 1.5 hours over to make up time, therefore breaking even.
    -Bought plane ticket
    -Tuesday of this week got very sick (upper respiratory infection, still ongoing)
    -Exhausted all sick time as of today. Tomorrow is unpaid.

So my dilemma here is not the actual trip. I'm sure they would still allow me to go. I'm honestly one of the best workers in the office. They often cite me as an example (which I hate) but hey it keeps them happy with me. I'm just not comfortable going on vacation, then coming back, then getting sick just to leave again for a few days. It doesn't seem like the smartest decision to make. I don't like my job, but I don't hate it enough to jeopardize my position.

I feel like the responsible thing to do is to cancel my trip and be there every day next week to make up the boatload of work I missed. Not to mention if I did go, I'd be unpaid for two days (about $400 total) It doesn't seemed to make much sense.

My question is this. I know traveler's insurance is pretty much bullshit and never works in the favor of the insuree, but is there any way I could turn this into a credit? I would call the airlines right now, but I literally can't talk for more than 30 seconds without having my throat feel like it was raped. And then I lose it altogether.

Any suggestions, BG?

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

You're pretty much boned unless you can talk to someone.

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Not sure what traveler's insurance is in general, but did you pay the extra 13 dollars or so for flight insurance? Most airlines will give refunds w/ that insurance and won't without

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Odess E'iron
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Cream Soda View Post
    Not sure what traveler's insurance is in general, but did you pay the extra 13 dollars or so for flight insurance? Most airlines will give refunds w/ that insurance and won't without
    Well yeah, sorry. Meant flight insurance. From what I've read that shit is next to worthless and you need to fight like hell to get anything done, and usually it's worthless at the end.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

which airline is it btw? pretty sure southwest has been advertising they refund/reschedule flights for free.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Odess E'iron
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Meant to include that. It's United. SW base tickets are a bit pricier due to that reason methinks.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Odesseiron View Post
    Meant to include that. It's United. SW base tickets are a bit pricier due to that reason methinks.
    http://www.united.com/web/en-us/cont...ds/refund.aspx

United will refund change fees and tickets in certain cases. All requests must be received before the expiration of your ticket and must be accompanied by proper documentation (see below). If the refund request is approved, a refund, minus a $50 USD processing fee*, will be provided to the original form of payment. This policy applies in the case of illness or death of the traveler, traveling companion, or immediate family member, as well as customers actively on jury duty at the time of planned travel.

*Except where DOT 14 CFR Part 382 applies
    Refunds (minus a $50 USD processing fee) will be provided in the event of death and, in some cases, illness and jury duty. This applies to all tickets, including revenue, MileagePlus award tickets, promotional, bulk and net fares.
    In cases of death, a copy of the death certificate is required. Illness situations require a letter (on letterhead) from a licensed physician confirming that travel was not recommended due to the customer's illness. If the request is due to the death or illness of an immediate family member, the request must contain the name of the family member and their relationship to you. Jury duty refund requests require a copy of the jury summons. All requests must be sent to United Customer Refund Services for consideration. Requests directed through other departments (contact centers, airport staff, etc.) will be referred to Customer Refund Services.
    Any chance you know a doctor who will be willing to write you a sick note?

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Odess E'iron
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

In a heartbeat. We have a family doctor that does that sort of stuff if we're in a pinch. Maybe I can have my mom call on behalf of me tomorrow. They might insist they talk to me, but I can say that I'm on the call and literally can't speak and am giving her consent over the phone. Worth a shot, I guess.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Proudmoore

Even on non-refundable flights, if an Airline has a chance to fill the plane, they'd simply cancel it for free or with a small penalty especially if you let them know early.

So yeah, go have someone talk to the airline. I got a plane ticket + 2 days of non-refundable hotel vacation refunded by telling them that I was sick (I really was, got hit hard by a flu). If they don't accept it, kindly tell them your situation and request a reschedule/credit.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

If you booked through a discount website, your boned. If you booked through united, you should lose about $200 max for cancelling. You would have to ask for a possible future transfer.

11. 2013-03-28 09:18

12. 2013-03-28 09:30