+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Joining a class action lawsuit. How?

So I just happened to read today that the Art Institute is having an 11$billion dollar suit filed against them for fraud

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/09/ed...forprofit.html

So has anyone joined up for a class action lawsuit here? I know ive gotten letters in the mail for certain jobs I used to work that had a suit against them, and I could take part, but I havnt received anything about this suit, as I think it's just from the federal government.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

You should get something in the mail, assuming the address your school has/had is still correct.

There was a class-action lawsuit against my college while I was going there because their recruiters were lying about graduate job-placement statistics. It was something like $12 million, but it was a small private institute... nowhere as massive as AI.

I received a form from the court in the mail. All I had to do was sign it, claiming I was affected by their wrongdoings, put down a little info about my enrollment/graduation dates, and mail it back. I actually got a response a month later, saying I was denied. However, at the bottom it said "sign here if you would like to appeal this decision." I signed that and mailed it back. A few months later, I got a check for like $400.

Booya.

If the lawsuit is relatively fresh, just hang in there. If it's been a while, I would maybe contact the court in question before it's too late to get in on it.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Class Action Lawsuits are like the Pyramid Scheme's cousin.

2600klub
    ǝƃuɐɥɔ ǝlʇıʇ ɥʇ01 ǝɥʇ ǝʞıl sı sıɥʇ ƃɯo ʎuunɟ ƃuıɥʇǝɯos ɥɐlq ɥɐlq ɥɐlq ǝɥ ǝǝǝǝǝǝǝlopuɐʌ puǝıɹɟ ʇsǝq s,poƃ ǝsɹoɥ ǝɥʇ sı ǝɥ ǝǝǝǝǝǝlopuɐʌ

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vandole Horsegod
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

i was part of one and got a free DVD out of it.. i joined via email.

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by SephYuyX View Post
    The fuck?

As you know I work for another online for-profit institution and what I can tell you after having worked in admissions/recruiting for two years now and being a supervisor is that this is epidemic.

The schools make things seem on paper as though they are following DoE and federal guidelines while maintaining a very, very sales oriented atmosphere based on enrollment numbers and production. As of July 1st this year the government regulated that no school can have it's performance evaluations correlate with production but even with new changes you can easily see that they still are.

At my school they now claim that compensation and increases in salary are based on tenure, yet with your yearly tenure based compensation increase you also are increased in level within our company which increases your production requirements. So while you still get the salary increase regardless of past performance your expected performance is increased such that it is nearly impossible to meet. So that after 2 years or so you are almost guaranteed termination because you're not meeting production requirements and they can fire you, giving them leave to hire new, less expensive talent. So, in order to not get fired based on the level increase received in the annual review and increased compensation based on tenure you are forced to resort to more sales oriented tactics to recruit just to keep your job.

I'm in the current situation because my next annual review is scheduled for may and once I receive my review my enrollment metrics will increase beyond levels that anyone in the company has achieved over the last 2+ years that i've been employed there. So I can basically accept that as of next june-august i'll no longer be employed regardless of the fact that since my hiring in august of 2009 i've been in the top 5% producers in the company.

I could easily be a "whistle blower" for the school I work for because I have periodically over time documented such things and saved them on separate drives so that if I were ever fired I could hold that against them. There are no for profit schools out there that operate within non-fraudulent means. If you go to one of those schools (which I also do) you just don't get close enough. It's the employee's which can really bring these places down.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

I got in on the Capital One suit a while back pertaining for their job protection policy. You should have already gotten something in the mail asking for your participation within 90 days.

I'll have to call my home back in NY and check since I moved down here to Maryland but the schools database still has me listed as living up in NY.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by miokomioko View Post
    There was a class-action lawsuit against my college while I was going there because their recruiters were lying about graduate job-placement statistics.
    My husband went though AI and this was basically what they did. He went for 3d animation and even though they talk about their like 90% hire rate, in reality they spammed everyone to get a job as a game tester...which I guess gives their rating 'cause it involves games? (sarcasm btw).

gotta see if he gets one of these in the mail.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Yeah, my school almost had its accreditation pulled right before I graduated because of it, though I imagine they all get that threat when they are caught fucking around. After they paid up, they were on "probation" for a few years. Last I heard, the company that owns the school (CEC) continues to run it into the ground.

I always wondered what would happen to the legitimacy of my degree (BA) if the school I got it from ended up going out of business or had their accreditation pulled. Obviously the average employer in my industry (communication arts) wouldn't hold that against me, but does it have any technical impact in a more corporate situation?

Mio, are you talking about Everest? They've been in a lot of trouble the last couple years, sounds like what you're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by miokomioko View Post

I always wondered what would happen to the legitimacy of my degree (BA) if the school I got it from ended up going out of business or had their accreditation pulled. Obviously the average employer in my industry (communication arts) wouldn't hold that against me, but does it have any technical impact in a more corporate situation?
    That is a good question honestly, i'm sure someone in HR might not look to fondly on that sort of circumstance.

I just count myself lucky for pulling out of AI after only a year of being duped. I remember they told me my graduation would take 2yrs to finish up at the college, then a year later they told me it would be another 6yrs till I was finished. I told them to go fuck themselves lol.

It's too bad I probably won't get back any of the money they "stole" from me since it's not "technically" stealing or some shit.

CHELLLLLLLLLLLLL
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Garnet Cat
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

I unfortunately went to AI too. I am going to spam my mailbox every day! Should have gone to a university...

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lex Luger
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Demon Soul

I was part of the nVIDIA GPU litigation with HP and got a free laptop out of the deal. They had my info from when I had originally registered the computer, so they sent me the info, and all I had to do was fill out the claim form, then send in the computer to be exchanged at a later date when they mail'd me. I know some other's who did not register their new PC's when they got them, so they just had to fill out a small form online to get the information packet.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Skyylya View Post
    Mio, are you talking about Everest? They've been in a lot of trouble the last couple years, sounds like what you're talking about.
    Nah, but by the sounds of it, I am betting a lot of private institutes are in this situation.

I went to Brooks Institute of Photography... back when it had some prestige left, was privately owned, and actually required a strong portfolio to be accepted. Right after I enrolled, Ernest H. Brooks II sold the school to CEC and it has gone downhill since then, laying off staff and cutting classes left and right. CEC also removed the portfolio requirement so they could get more $ by saying "Everyone is welcome! Forget what you know, we'll just teach you everything! $$$!" They also recently took "of Photography" out of the name to help assimilate it into the legion of generic art/design schools they have been collecting. Thus, instead of having a "Bachelor of Arts from Brooks Institute of Photography," I now have a "Bachelor of Arts in Professional Photography from Brooks Institute." Sometimes it gets in the way depending on the job I'm applying for.

You just got served THE CALLISTO SPECIAL
    SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

I worked for CEC for a bit, while I do feel the education they provide is many times fully legit and actually quality, the corporation itself is total scum. The amount of pressure they put on 'recruitment advisors' to make sales is absurd, average turnover for employees is something around 2 months despite it being a pretty high-paying job...though I guess since it's technically a sales job, the hourly pay compared to what you'd be making in commissions if you were in another field selling things worth $20-30k a pop like several years of tuitions cost isn't much. Easily the shittiest job I've ever had, glad these companies are getting nailed, and g/l to the OP on getting some green out of it.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lex Luger
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Demon Soul

I hope Lincoln Technical Institute gets nailed. Fuckin place is worthless.

It's sooo veiny
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arch Dizzle
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Previous company I worked for had a class action against them for timesheet/unpaid hours that some disgruntle employees started that was total bullshit, company settled for 10m and after taxes/lawyer fees i got around 700.00 for being employed with them during the time.

The employees who started the whole fiasco ended up getting less then two grand a piece, and as a result the companys new time sheet and gps policies were introduced and were a huge pain in the ass.

I am by far the worst poster in most threads, including Olroy and Mazmaz. I go from 0 to Mad in 0.6 seconds. Also, 8==============D
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by SephYuyX View Post
    i love this quote.

usually only pipe dreamers get excited about them

Black Guy from Predator.
    Uppity Negro
    Secret Admin

The Immortal Bill Duke

BG Level

People REALLY go to Everest? Those are the most ignorant commercials ever, and you niggas is dumb for going there.