BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sir Taint
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Weeks View Post
    Why are they waiting until June to adjust two lines of code and reduce the wait time between synths and guild purchases?

Barance

Quote Originally Posted by drwaffles View Post
    As I've always said, I think they screwed themselves developmentally by making Abyssea-era gear so much more powerful than existing gear in a game that has been focused on horizontal gear development since its inception. There have really only ever been two 'carrots' in FFXI: the allure of new storylines/areas and the allure of 'big ticket' items. It used to be exciting to get a Novio, a Ridill or a Chapeau because they would actually have a discernible impact on your performance. Now everyone's so powerful that getting new gear isn't particularly exciting, it's just a "thank fuck for that" feeling you get after going 1/100+ in VW. It goes without saying that story-based incentives are a thing of the past, too.

I'm not saying the old system was perfect, far from it. But it did have the advantage of making you actually care about the gear you strove for.
    I get that some people like the sidegrade game, but it's not for everyone and brings its own degree of staleness. Power of gear post-75 isn't the problem, while aside from maybe stuff added 91+ noticeably leveling off back toward sidegrade model, but the challenges presented with the new gear in mind were what the main issue is. SE got a bit too fixated on throwing out mobs with various "fuck you" mechanics because they couldn't figure out how to balance around their own engine. Heck, just look at the enmity system. You'll get some people foolishly clamoring that PLDs should be able to break the cap, but the real issue is the system needs a total revamp to not be designed around a level 60 game. Gear, brews, AoA, Abyssea, or whatever some people think "killed" FFXI are most of the time missing the mark. The real problems are usually rooted in SE just being dumb, and we can't cure that if they don't listen.

Every day I'm wafflin'
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I get that some people like the sidegrade game, but it's not for everyone and brings its own degree of staleness.
    Oh I completely agree, and I also agree that SE is incompetent. But even if the side-grade design was far from perfect, at least it kept players at a similar level of strength. Because like you said, the devs have thus far shown that they're completely incapable of adapting to the 'new' FFXI, so maybe we'd all have been better off if they'd not raised the bar so high so quickly.

This conversation probably would've been happening 2 years ago if they hadn't.

Every day I'm wafflin'
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Yeah, I'm not saying Abyssea itself wasn't a good thing overall, just that I thought they went kinda overboard with the gear stats considering the devs clearly aren't competent enough to increase monster difficulty correspondingly.

>The Implying
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jeryhn Astracrown
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Play as a monster system = Pankration 2.0

You heard it here first.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Just a thought regarding gear and sidegrades etc. We still have 40 more levels of crafting cap expansion to go... I don't think we're going to be in full on sidegrade territory again until that cap is reached.

Another thing to consider, where the fuck are 40 levels worth of crafting mats going to come from? Certainly not all from vw, expanded events, or old mobs I'd imagine. I think all of this stuff is just laying the groundwork for a new expansion. Making the old game "current" for the new level caps, and to some extent, for potential new players (interface updates), before they hit us with something brand new.

I enjoy tapping my sisters fine ass
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by pancakesandsex View Post
    Just a thought regarding gear and sidegrades etc. We still have 40 more levels of crafting cap expansion to go... I don't think we're going to be in full on sidegrade territory again until that cap is reached.
    We are already in the sidegrade territory. I'd say 90% of crafted gear has always been outdated by rare/ex. I didn't think Gear could get much better then what AF3 was for a lot of jobs. The improvements were just that big. Then Neo nyzul came out And every peice of gear that has come out since then has been side grade or just flat out worse then 100 floor.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Another thing to consider, where the fuck are 40 levels worth of crafting mats going to come from? Certainly not all from vw, expanded events, or old mobs I'd imagine. I think all of this stuff is just laying the groundwork for a new expansion. Making the old game "current" for the new level caps, and to some extent, for potential new players (interface updates), before they hit us with something brand new.
    We may have 40 more levels of crafting, there is no telling if they will take us to 150 or not.

And if is as fucking miserable to take a craft to 120 as it is to take one to 110, there probably won't be a lot of 120 crafters.

"Why are you so salty about this Septimus," you ask? How about 6 fucking hours in Fort Karugo-Narugo (S) logging up Dragon Fruit to wind up with 3 stacks of them, which if I am lucky will get 0.5 skill ups. Hate.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by jimbobsonofgod View Post
    We are already in the sidegrade territory. I'd say 90% of crafted gear has always been outdated by rare/ex. I didn't think Gear could get much better then what AF3 was for a lot of jobs. The improvements were just that big. Then Neo nyzul came out And every peice of gear that has come out since then has been side grade or just flat out worse then 100 floor.
    I don't think the power creep for gear is over, nor that nyzul 100 stuff if going to remain on the top forever. The new abjuration gear is going to be a T2 synth once they finish the cap increase. Think about it in that context. I know I'm being a little optimistic here, but I can't believe we're permanently in marginal increase land yet again. Not with what's currently in the pipe.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I don't think the power creep for gear is over, nor that nyzul 100 stuff if going to remain on the top forever. The new abjuration gear is going to be a T2 synth once they finish the cap increase. Think about it in that context. I know I'm being a little optimistic here, but I can't believe we're permanently in marginal increase land yet again. Not with what's currently in the pipe.
    Maybe it's my imagination, but a lot of the hexed gear doesn't seem to be all that mind-blowingly fantastic even when HQed. Maybe the augments with Abdhaljs's Honor will be great, but the teaser image to whet our appetites was just Double Attack +1. If that isn't side-grade land, I am not sure what it.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

windower is so gonna break.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by arus2001 View Post
    This conversation probably would've been happening 2 years ago if they hadn't.
    ding.

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Ugol Brayettes 97 [Legs] All Races
    DEF:51 STR+6 VIT+6 AGI-5 [Fire] +10 [Water] +10 Attack+8
    LV 97 WAR PLD DRK BST SAM NIN
    Ugol Haubert 97 [Body] All Races
    DEF:74 STR+11 VIT+11 AGI-6 [Thunder] +10 [Water] +10 Attack+13
    Ugol Moufles 97 [Hands] All Races
    DEF:34 STR+8 VIT+8 AGI-4 [Ice] +10 [Air] +10 Attack+7
    Ugol Salade 97 [Head] All Races
    DEF:42 STR+7 VIT+7 AGI-3 [Fire] +10 [Ice] +10 Attack+6
    Ugol Solerets 97 [Feet] All Races
    DEF:23 STR+6 VIT+6 AGI-3 [Air] +10 [Earth] +10 Attack+6

Does any of that look remotely useful?

Spolia Chapeau 97 [Head] All Races
    DEF:27 MP+30 INT+6 MND+6CHR+6 Magic Accuracy+3
    LV 97 WHM BLM RDM BRD SMN BLU PUP SCH
    Spolia Cuffs 97 [Hands] All Races
    DEF:24 MP+30 Magic Attack+7 Enmity-5
    Spolia Pigaches 97 [Feet] All Races
    DEF:18 MP+40"Magic Attack Bonus"+4 Enmity-6
    Spolia Saio 97 [Body] All Races
    DEF:51 MP+50 INT+12 MND+12CHR+12 Magic Accuracy+5
    Spolia Trews 97 [Legs] All Races
    DEF:42 MP+40 INT+8 MND+8CHR+8 Magic Accuracy+5

How about those? Do any of those look remotely useful?

Urja Gloves 97 [Hands] All Races
    DEF:27 AGI+6 Attack+5Enhances "Resist Amnesia" effect
    LV 97 WAR RDM THF PLD DRK BST BRD RNG SAM NIN DRG BLU COR DNC
    Urja Helm 97 [Head] All Races
    DEF:30 AGI+5 Attack+8Enhances "Resist Slow" effect
    Urja Jerkin 97 [Body] All Races
    DEF:60 AGI+9 Attack+10Enhances "Resist Paralyze" effect
    Urja Ledelsens 97 [Feet] All Races
    DEF:26 AGI+5 Attack+5Enhances "Resist Sleep" effect
    Urja Trousers 97 [Legs] All Races
    DEF:45 AGI+8 Attack+8Enhances "Resist Silence" effect

These?

The Ugol set requires some generally pricey items (Palladain Ore is 50k per just to start it up, Salade requires Scintilliant Ingot, Haubert is 3 chains (6 ingots) + a sheet), oh, and you cant outside farm any of those Ores (atleast no ones found it yet). Spolia set all require sheep chammy (all that NPCed clot plasma...) and multiple wyrdstrands (either alone, or as weaves which is 3 strands). The Urja set is the cheapest, based around Squamous Hides.

Yes there are HQ versions (Mavros for heavy set, Opima for mages/pup, Sthira for light set), but if the NQ shit is almost useless and the HQ versions will only be T1able when youre at skillcap -1, and its already 200-700k per synth, how much are you going to pay at the AH for something thats at best a sidegrade even if its white border?

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Septimus View Post
    Maybe it's my imagination, but a lot of the hexed gear doesn't seem to be all that mind-blowingly fantastic even when HQed. Maybe the augments with Abdhaljs's Honor will be great, but the teaser image to whet our appetites was just Double Attack +1. If that isn't side-grade land, I am not sure what it.
    A lot of it isn't mind-blowingly fantastic, but some would outright replace some Abyssea armor. For my most-loved jobs, WHM and SMN, there is one piece from each set that does this. I assume other jobs have 1-2 pieces that do the same.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Septimus View Post
    We may have 40 more levels of crafting, there is no telling if they will take us to 150 or not.

And if is as fucking miserable to take a craft to 120 as it is to take one to 110, there probably won't be a lot of 120 crafters.

"Why are you so salty about this Septimus," you ask? How about 6 fucking hours in Fort Karugo-Narugo (S) logging up Dragon Fruit to wind up with 3 stacks of them, which if I am lucky will get 0.5 skill ups. Hate.
    This exactly this, the new crafting lvl cap increase is a joke... The supply for crafting materials is non-existent