+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

College Honors Thesis: Request for respondents for study on MMORPG play/use

Fellow Gamers Unite: Requesting survey respondents for College Honors Thesis on MMORPG gamers and play! Help very much appreciated!

Do you like to play MMORPGs like: World of Warcraft, Final Fantasy, Guild Wars, Vindictus, Star Trek Online, Tera, Lord of the Rings Online Age of Conan, Guild Wars 2, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Everquest, Aion, Rift, EVE Online, The Secret World, or Warhammer Online? If you are 18 or older, click on the link below to take a survey on your gaming, social relationships on and offline, and possible positive and negative health outcomes related to your MMORPG play. The survey should take about 10-20 minutes and utilizes question from prevelan scales usedt MMORPG research."

http://uncc.surveyshare.com/s/AQAINQD

A couple of Disclaimers - Based on current feedback thus far.
    - The project is approved by the social and behavioral institutional review board of the University of North Carolina at Charlotte.
    - We are taking your e-mail to verify that this is the first time that you are taking the survey and it is not tied to your response.
    - Once the survey goes down all data is stripped from the website - you're perfectly safe.
    - If you've questions, comments, and concerns I am open ears to anything you've got to say.

My contact information is in the survey, if you wish to get the results once publication is finished you can contact me at the end.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Grey Jorildyn
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Completed for great science!

I've read the disclaimer so I am aware you did not construct the questions, but if you were to have an interest in designing a follow-up study, I would consider comparing players in stand-alone guilds vs. gaming communities. You might further break it down within that as casual vs. core players. There's a lot of depth to something like this and as a therapist I value this kind of research. I am considering doing my Psy.D thesis on something along these lines if I ever go back for my last two years.

Formerly BGTemp // TERA Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Also completed for great science!

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Emerald Dream

+1 Go MMOers!

Absolute Messenger of Promathia
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Completed it for yah. interesting questions, Kinda see where its going.

Good luck.

Irish Vagabond
    BG Level

Grey, why break it down into dichotomous variables when you could have a spectrum of results? Splitting people into distinct camps would be difficult.

I posted in his other thread on the general discussion forum, and like I said there I'm interested in the clinical value of the social support while also being wary of it. Might it be temporary cure but ultimately have more long lasting negative effects?

I've worked in outpatient clinical based settings, and have wondered that some people might benefit extensively from the social support of an MMORPG, or other online community. But, something doesn't sit right with the advice 'heres a video game go play it 12 hours a day. It wont help with your 'real life' (kinda an oxymoron how apt this word still is) social support problems, but will help with getting through the day.' Also, if you paired someone who was prone to addiction with an game that has caused people to die (or their children) because they were obsessed with it...it still seems to me to be a rose amongst thorns.

I'm a few years away from the DClinPsych myself, but would love to know your opinion on it as a therapist.

He everyone thank you for taking time out to complete the survey and support the research! I truly appreciate it, it all means a lot to me and of course all of the interest FOR GREAT SCIENCE!!!!!

To Grey & Cliron,

It's nice to hear from fellow researchers. I'm glad you are finding the study interesting. If you are wanting to see the results and finished product (we are looking at a publication in the Journal of Cyberpsychology or something bigger with broader range pending what comes about). Even as an undergrad I have been very fortunate that this study is seeing amazing turnout. The community has been so amazing and supportive of the research and myself in a tremendous way.

Concerning your research ideas (this is without discussing the actual aims of this study - certainly you understand the implications of discussing active research) I think they are great and also things I have in the books for future studies. I've got about a dozen different study ideas that came about from this study and writing to go with it. Not to mention a paper concerning recruitment and handling online recruitment samples (as i said things have flourished).

Grey,
    Dichotomizing the populations like that may prove hard. Remember that ideally you need to have validated measures with good alphas and catering to specific population pools would most likely mean having to pull a focus group to tailor the scale - that could take time. Then that means you'll have to conduct some pilot studies to assure that those questionnaires work. Then there is the question of how you will operationally define these groups and accordingly how will you gain access to them? I've run into a lot of restrictions concerning postings and making contacts and have had to find work arounds for everything. But yeah defining the sample can be subjective based on who you speak too so it makes that sort of thing kind of hard. You may want to say hours of play but someone can play a lot and not be hardcore or vice versa (just really efficient). I'm uncertain if there are quantitative ways to measure that though research discuss harmonious and excessive players so i suppose there is a way. You'll have to be very thorough. Having that kind of data would prove invaluable and help us better understand the population and how to handle the user end a bit better. I really like the idea, don't get me wrong... there are just some technical things to consider is all.

Cliron,

Your ideas concerning the clinical implications of social support amongst MMO groups is spot on. In fact it is not as oxymoronic as you may think. Seay's 2006 dissertation actually discovered that when players played with individuals they knew in 'real-life' that there were positive implications and the player actually benefitted from it. So it becomes a question of how to integrate 'real-word' and 'virtual-world' groups/communities to create a tightly nit social support network. I have imagined it would be something akin to AA or a Rape Trauma group. Not to say the gamers have problems but just thinking of the format of those groups. There is something to be said for individuals having a personal stake and investment in one another. There are large segments of the MMORPG player population that plays to compensate for various social anxiety spectrum disorders or things like PTSD... in other words its their only real way of socializing in a safe environment and feeling 'normal'.

I plan on taking on 'Therapeutic implications of MMORPGs for Therapeutic Good' (possibly among at risk samples or in general) for my PhD work.. hopefully at Chapel Hill or Stanford. But first I am doing a slew of studies in order to paint a picture of the general user and that means a heavy focus on psychopathy and correlations of certain behaviors and tendencies such as motivations for play, addictive tendencies, etc. Before we can devise a plan to utilize think in a clinical context its pertinent to try and fully understand the community so we can identify problem areas, areas of benefit, or neutral (non-applicable) areas. It helps in tailoring things so that you get something that is optimal and has the highest potential at yielding positive outcomes and meaningful relationships amongst individuals that will be very reinforcing.

There is a lot of promise for MMORPGs as clinical tools, they improve cognition and have seen some success. It's just about the balancing act so it doesn't create the issues you stated. Those are big questions to answer and moderation will have to be key. There may need to be mixing of face-to-face events and online events in order to create an ideal environment. However, that is all something that will have to come with time and more research.

If you are curious as to what I find like I said, e-mail me at [email protected] maybe some collaboration can happen in the future as well. Who knows.

Best,
    Justin

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Grey Jorildyn
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Oh it definitely wouldn't be easy to separate them. But like that 2006 study being referred to, it sounds like a good example on how integrating new people into your social circle can be beneficial, what with the definition of "friend" being what it is now on the internet and all. Know what I mean? Listening to teamspeak banter as I type this so not sure if this is making sense lol I also really dislike doing research. I am much more clinical applications person. Just gimme a study and I'll read it, and apply it. I do a lot of interactive therapy, brief therapy, evidence-based practice stuff and that's really my gig tbh.

But here's the idea: when you're in a "community", you get to consider those people "friends", whether as "in real life" or not (varies by person). People in standalone guilds, in my experience (not sure how you would operationally define/show this in any scientific way without its own study) tend to be more come-and-go if you aren't part of that guild's "core" group of players, usually defined as the small group that started the guild and/or are the leaders. In the decade and thensome I've been playing MMOs, human behavior has been part of a large observational learning campaign for me. I noticed in others, and in myself, that when I was just part of some guild, regardless of success, if there was no reason for me to invest myself as a real person into that guild (and there rarely was any motivation to do so internally or externally from others), I didn't consider those people friends or in any way applicable to many of the questions on the survey. However, once I began a gaming community, I noticed that people tend to them because they are looking to get invested with "real people" and stay longer. Our member turnover is probably a far lower than a typical standalone guild. I would put money on that. So my conclusion was that there was some [perceived] benefit, or some change that happened within those players, to cause them to stay in IGC guilds longer. Obviously, it's not just my community, it applies to all other gaming communities, where I also observed players were far less likely to just up and leave one guild for another, because they'd be leaving behind "friends" or opposed to just random "guildies". I'm sure there's a groupthink or social pressure factor in there somewhere too which varies by person. I think it can also illustrate how complex e-relationships have become in terms of becoming respected, more serious/acceptable, etc. in this technological age (see: internet dating!).

I dunno, just a thing I think about a lot and is part of the reason I began my gaming community. No regrets there. Also thanks again for the survey, was provocative in its own way.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zeota Fourier
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Completed for great science!

Interesting and thought provoking questions on there.

Good luck!

Survey done! and wow i feel worse about my life lol

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Jorildyn View Post
    Oh it definitely wouldn't be easy to separate them. But like that 2006 study being referred to, it sounds like a good example on how integrating new people into your social circle can be beneficial, what with the definition of "friend" being what it is now on the internet and all. Know what I mean? Listening to teamspeak banter as I type this so not sure if this is making sense lol I also really dislike doing research. I am much more clinical applications person. Just gimme a study and I'll read it, and apply it. I do a lot of interactive therapy, brief therapy, evidence-based practice stuff and that's really my gig tbh.

But here's the idea: when you're in a "community", you get to consider those people "friends", whether as "in real life" or not (varies by person). People in standalone guilds, in my experience (not sure how you would operationally define/show this in any scientific way without its own study) tend to be more come-and-go if you aren't part of that guild's "core" group of players, usually defined as the small group that started the guild and/or are the leaders. In the decade and thensome I've been playing MMOs, human behavior has been part of a large observational learning campaign for me. I noticed in others, and in myself, that when I was just part of some guild, regardless of success, if there was no reason for me to invest myself as a real person into that guild (and there rarely was any motivation to do so internally or externally from others), I didn't consider those people friends or in any way applicable to many of the questions on the survey. However, once I began a gaming community, I noticed that people tend to them because they are looking to get invested with "real people" and stay longer. Our member turnover is probably a far lower than a typical standalone guild. I would put money on that. So my conclusion was that there was some [perceived] benefit, or some change that happened within those players, to cause them to stay in IGC guilds longer. Obviously, it's not just my community, it applies to all other gaming communities, where I also observed players were far less likely to just up and leave one guild for another, because they'd be leaving behind "friends" or opposed to just random "guildies". I'm sure there's a groupthink or social pressure factor in there somewhere too which varies by person. I think it can also illustrate how complex e-relationships have become in terms of becoming respected, more serious/acceptable, etc. in this technological age (see: internet dating!).

I dunno, just a thing I think about a lot and is part of the reason I began my gaming community. No regrets there. Also thanks again for the survey, was provocative in its own way.
    Hey again Grey,

This absolutely makes sense. I completely understand your notion to focus on the practical application part of this kind of research. Ultimately and ideally that is the goal to put everything in practice and see things turn out for the best. Just for now the field and understanding is young and therefore the research aspect of it is what is needed in the immediate until a clearer picture can be painted. The research is going to lend itself to the best possible situation where the player and player groups are understood.

Concerning your observations of guilds and personal player investments, I really do think it is spot on yet again. There are ways to explain each phenomena in its own way. This of course can be linked to various player archetypes (this is where we would discuss things such as motivations for play or reference a study known as 'card suits'). Some players simply play to be the best in the game and achieve and so their personal levels of investment will only sustain for as long as they need it too in order to benefit and then they will move on to what will help them achieve their goal in the fastest way possible. On the other hand some players are more social in nature and concerned with personal relationships - the game tends to take a backseat to interactions in these player group. When it is harder for you or others to leave a guild the best bet would be to assume you are that kind of player. You've developed some meaningful relationships within the game and therefore have a personal stake and investment in the individuals in your group (the fact that it is such a small grouping only strengthens those bonds). I think this instance would be an example of how the game can become a tool for small groups type therapy. You're building a social support network between these individuals who are almost always connected in some fashion - it becomes more about the interaction (which is the beneficial part) and less about the game. The game becomes a conduit for improve social behaviors and self-efficacy amongst individuals. The more the group becomes integrated into ones' day-to-day life and online life the more it stands to bolster and build relationships. So in essence... tightly nit relationships with a focus on the relationships and using the game as a means to an end (in this case a prognosis that looks good) ought to net the best outcomes.

Hopefully that all makes sense. I really do believe there a practical applications for the research (it just needs to be reinforced for several more years). Even in your post you state how you are using teamspeak... that in-and-of-itself is a tool that can be utilized to reinforce social communications. Hearing another person's voice is much more beneficial than simply communicating through any means of text.

To Darkrepyon,

Thank you very much for supporting the research (FOR GREAT SCIENCE!) - it really means a lot and I appreciate you taking the time out to take the survey!

To Schlomo,

Thank you for taking the survey it really means a lot to mean and your support does as well! I am sorry that the survey has made you upset - if you would like to talk that certainly can be set up. Ideally this research is meant to be a good thing for the benefit of the community and not to put you in a position where you feel bad about yourself. I really do apologize and hope you feel better! :D

Best,
    Justin

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Finished taking the survey and hope it helps! I wanted to comment about this subject as I recently put down ffxi for good and it's the only real mmorpg I've played.

My perception may have changed or is constantly changing as I've grown older towards playing online. I played ffxi off and on for roughly 6 years, most recently on a private server for about 4 months.

The majority of my playing time on the official servers was prior to Abyssea. I was never in a 100% "friendly" ls as all of them were greedy backstabbers and every event was centered around either leaders or a select few. This led me to quitting a number of times but I always had the itch to come back as I think the game itself is awesome.

More recently, my characters were banned on retail for rmt. I do not regret anything I did. I'm being candid when I say, after the game went into the direction of Voidwatch and and seeing how there were numerous reports of 0/300+ on items I just gave up and focused on making money. It was demoralizing for the game to induce a system such as this where there was even the chance you'd never get rewarded for your time invested.

My last stint was on a private server. Exclude the bugs that come with playing on a private server and it was a good time, but it carried an "off" feeling so to speak. Most people were much more friendly and tons more willing to help than on retail. I did however quit when I watched one player take a drop from another player just because they could. They had no use for it while the entire point of the event was to get said item for another, and because they could, they lotted. I openly questioned this action and the majority of the people didn't care.

This just made me angry and sad that even on a private server, people still openly will screw over another person for personal gain. I did not care it did not affect me personally. It's the point. It left me feeling a bit unsure if I'm off in the head for caring so much about someone getting screwed, or if it's peoples online persona that is the real problem. Regardless, I play a game to have fun, and for whatever reason, it took 6 years to realize playing online just isn't fun. I understand many people have incredible groups they play with and every time they log in it's a blast. I wasn't able to experience that in ffxi with more than a few people.

Hey Kalmado,

First and foremost, thank you very much for taking time out to complete the survey and support the research. Furthermore a big thank you for your input and personal insight concerning the game and your experiences. That all means a lot to me and I appreciate your being candid. Also, my apologies on the late response, my work has been catching up with me and I've kind of been spreading myself thin.

I can definitely sympathize with your situation and I understand where you are coming from as far as your feelings toward these situations are concerned. That's something I've kind of noticed about a lot of MMOs is that there is a huge emphasis on personal achievement and individuals tend to be fairly cut throat in the game with little regard to their peers. While the opposite is also true in other communities that place less focus on personal achievement and more on cooperation, collaboration, and team work. Sometimes it can be hard to deal with the grit that comes with players acting irresponsibly and cruelly toward other players. Unfortunately however that is an archetype of player... there is some research concerning motivations and player types (referred to as card suits) that states some individuals only play the game to create disturbances between other players. In this instance that player picking up the drop just because he could was just to create problems for other players. They somehow get off on it. Because being online grants a veil of anonymity and people are essentially powerless to do anything about it they kind of just look the other way and ignore it (think bystander effect). That would not have sat well with me either, unfortunately there isn't much you can do and the game's mechanics allow for things such as that. Really people can just kind of suck and play for reasons that do not comport with a more favorable view.

As far as being character banned for RMT... well I can't blame you. You're doing what you can to assuredly gain something from the game when mechanics that hindered that were implemented. Sure it's a 'grey area' but it really doesn't hurt anybody in the long run. I can certainly understand the value in that, especially considering that you really enjoyed the game and wanted to play but weren't being properly rewarded for that play time. I've actually had extensive conversations with a few friends about the rarity of items and how gameplay mechanics affect that. I mean it's a massive event to even get a chance at certain weaponry and even that could take years to have a chance at something.

It certainly makes sense to have an ever changing perception toward the game. A lot of that I'm certain has to do with how you've been treated as a player and your moral compass and what you've witnessed other players do in-game (as you've stated). I wouldn't ever say that you are 'off in the head for caring so much about someone getting screwed' in fact i commend you for sharing a deep concern there - not many people do or ever will. I think the problem is two-fold, it's the psychopathology of the players in general - that is then exacerbated by the persona. The reason being is that they are granted 'safety' from behind their computer and they can't be judged or acted upon for their action or inaction. This is where you see people adopt very idiosyncratic, deviant, or altruistic behavioral patterns. I've always been of the notion that people are more prone to acting out in a reflection of their true selves when they are online or won't be held accountable for their actions. An excellent anecdotal example of this sort of thing would be Plato's 'Ring of Gyges'. People are as good or as bad as they want to be. That can really produce a cynical view in those who don't agree with it. I think it's great you feel that way - it says a lot of good things about you as a person.

Thanks again for the support and well wishes!

Best,
    Justin

The Sig...
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Submitted. Good luck with your research

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the response. It is very insightful. I'd like to respond to the statement about those being who they really are online because they are essentially anonymous. If a person truly sits back and analyzes how they post on a forum or what content they search for online, it really is who they truly are. They may not act like that face to face, but I chalk that up to a person knowing there is consequences face to face where as on a forum, the worse you will get is banned.

Right now I'm smiling because I just started watching the tv series House of Lies on Showtime. The short of it is it's all about doing ANYTHING to get ahead. Not many people in their daily lives live this way because of the possible consequences. I think for some people, while they don't "role play" as say a mithra in ffxi, they definitely "role play" in the definition of what they wish they were in their daily life through their character.

Good luck with your research.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Grey Jorildyn
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

on forums there is also reputation at stake. that becomes a factor depending on how deep you are in the game's community. can't neglect that "consequence".

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Jorildyn View Post
    on forums there is also reputation at stake. that becomes a factor depending on how deep you are in the game's community. can't neglect that "consequence".
    I absolutely agree. I do not want to get to splitting hairs, but there are instances where even when they are exposed it does not seem to matter. I don't think it's necessary to dig up instances here on BG, but I can think of two recent happenings where known members of the community were exposed for a less than desirable human, and they weren't fully shunned(think, Feiwong status).

Since it is fresh in my mind, I'll tell a small story from the private server. There are only a handful of LS's and at most, 50-60 people online. /shout channel is World so everyone sees everything. One of the leaders is your typical manipulative verbally abusive wanna be dictator that has the in game ability of someone incapable of making a complete sentence. This is known, yet this LS houses around 20-25 people. I chalk it up to the leader finding those he can control and exploiting it to his advantage. It was sad to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    I absolutely agree. I do not want to get to splitting hairs, but there are instances where even when they are exposed it does not seem to matter. I don't think it's necessary to dig up instances here on BG, but I can think of two recent happenings where known members of the community were exposed for a less than desirable human, and they weren't fully shunned(think, Feiwong status).

Since it is fresh in my mind, I'll tell a small story from the private server. There are only a handful of LS's and at most, 50-60 people online. /shout channel is World so everyone sees everything. One of the leaders is your typical manipulative verbally abusive wanna be dictator that has the in game ability of someone incapable of making a complete sentence. This is known, yet this LS houses around 20-25 people. I chalk it up to the leader finding those he can control and exploiting it to his advantage. It was sad to watch.

Sorry for the late response, I've been pretty swamped this week. I have to say that I agree with all points. It's actually a field of research I am interested in. I think the anonymity where are person isn't exactly tied to anything will allow them to unveil their true character and even bring that out to an extreme. Now if they have an online profile and a reputation to protect then it is different. I think of that as a sort of pseudo-anonymity. The reason being while we don't know who these individuals are we do know their alias and because they've an investment in that they have to abide by the social norms constructed by and enacted by the community they are a part of. It's taking a spin on face-to-face interactions and is 'less' anonymous than may otherwise be the case on any given random on a server or a place like 4chan.

Manipulation is actually an identified motivation for play. Individuals have been known to play to control others and advance themselves in the game. This is especially true if someone is in a position of power. Kind of like the stanford jail experiment. Some people just can't handle a position over others.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Kind of curious why you aren't carving out specific research on people still playing niche-market (non-wow, basically) MMOs pushing or over a decade old, like FFXI, EQ, or UO.

I would think these would be more interesting subjects than people who are just playing A New Video Game.