1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 17 hours, 17 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 6 hours, 42 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 10 hours, 17 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 3 days, 23 hours, 42 minutes
+ Reply to Thread

Eorzea Buddy Pass, valid account after a month?

Sorry if this has been discussed, looked at the dead thread and couldnt find anything on it. Currently have a Buddy Pass from my brother and downloaded the game, will this turn into a valid account after a month and all of my reaccuring fees will start? Or will it just end being a real account after a month?

Basically can I save 50 bucks by hanging onto this account?

Afaik the 50bucks just get added onto your first payment if you decide to make it a normal account.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Hmm, I thought it was a legit account. After the 30days you just add payment, and don't have to spend the 50 bucks. I could be wrong though.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Biggie View Post
    Hmm, I thought it was a legit account. After the 30days you just add payment, and don't have to spend the 50 bucks. I could be wrong though.
    this is what I remember other people saying but don't quote me on it 'cause I don't have proof.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

I am curious about this as well. I remember buying an FFXI bundle (FFXI, RoZ, CoP, ToAU) that came with a buddy pass, and the buddy pass was only required to pay $10 each for the expansions if they wanted to play that content (no game purchase was required).

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elrina Miona
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Pretty sure they haven't given a definitive answer, so none of us will know for sure until the free period ends and people start getting billed. Although it seems like the buddy pass will be enough by itself, without the additional $50 required.

Quote Originally Posted by Elrina View Post
    Pretty sure they haven't given a definitive answer, so none of us will know for sure until the free period ends and people start getting billed. Although it seems like the buddy pass will be enough by itself, without the additional $50 required.
    This

It's kind of hard to instantly bill $50 the way they have the crystal points set up as you pay for the points not the actual game and apply the points to the game. If they make the character require a retarded amount of point the next time that is possible but I think if they did this then they would essentially lose the demographic that they aim for with the buddy passes.

Vuitton

They can't "surprise" bill people for $50. They have to state beforehand that you will be charged the $50 somewhere once the free trial period ends. Otherwise, they would probably get sued or something for ninja'ing $50 from those who have auto-payment setup. In addition, they'd also have to provide warning beforehand for crysta users to buy that much crysta to cover the transaction.

I think buddy pass users have nothing to worry about.

Ok well ill read the fine print a little closer once I get home from work, seems like a bad idea on squares part, but I guess the monthly fees are really where they get people. One main issue with Aion was that they had no trial or buddy system from day one.

A. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

I heard they did this buddy pass system in japan in XI, can anyone confirm/deny?

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Hmm.

I just checked and my buddy pass account got the additional free 30 days, too, which it wasn't supposed to. O.o

http://wuselfuzz.de/images/buddy.png

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boye Fran
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan

woosh

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Chakra View Post
    woosh
    Sir, you're very helpful with bringing somebody who barely played or was otherwise interested in FF14 for the last couple of weeks up to date. Thank you.

(I thought, buddy key accounts were exempt from the extension for some reason)

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Chakra View Post
    woosh
    What a douche...

The friend that I gave my buddy pass to, can now just add crysta with out buying the game. So yes it is a legit account. I think the only restrictions for the extra 30 days was to be activated before 9-25? That is the reason my friend did not get 30 extra days, but can use the account without any problems without ever buying the game.