1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 21 hours, 35 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 2 hours, 24 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 14 hours, 35 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 19 hours, 24 minutes
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 53 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

[Guide] Paladin Tanking Compendium (Last update 11/13/13)

Announcement
    As of 11/04/2013 I have canceled my subscription. The game itself is lackluster and somewhat boring. I also found myself losing reaction time, rapid eye movement, and other skills due to the game being so slow and simple. I will keep updating this post until, I believe Dec 4th, after that my account will be canceled. If you wish to follow me into other games, feel free to PM me on www.youtube.com/pixelshader.

Updates:

11/13/2013:
    • Corrected a typo in the BiS chart on the gear post as found by Altimis

11/08/2013:
    • Added a really helpful speed run video for Wanderer's Palace to the videos post. It will help you get those mythos ASAP. This video was made by Zeus Laser, tons of thanks to him for submitting this content.

11/03/2013:
    • Updated the link to Jahaudant's Paladin equipment planner in the references post. This post has a lot of great work in it. It helps you be very precise your spending and rolls on gear.
    • Fixed some formatting issues in the abilities post as found by Segoris.
    • Added a new section in the macros post called "Miscellaneous Macro Commands". Saw some good input from Segoris and Nonlinear314 so that information is documented in this location.
    • Added turn locations on Binding Coil drops to the gear post as notified to me per Soulburn32.

10/27/2013:
    • Added a video on User Interface and Macros in the videos post.
    • Added Jahaudant's Paladin equipment spreadsheet to the references post. This spreadsheet is an extremely useful tool that can help you select gear and see the repercussions of said gear choices. Many thanks to him for creating this.

10/23/2013:
    • Updated the drop location of Allagan Legs in the gear post as submitted by Viray.

10/22/2013:
    • Heavy changes done to the gear post.
    • Replaced "Your first Allagan Tombstones of Mythology" section with "Best in Slot"
    • Added some awesome tables created by Jahaudant . Many thanks to him.
    • Raised the accuracy requirement from 472 to 475.
    • Added a caution when looking at the tanking gear list. Please take note of it.

10/21/2013:
    • Been MIA a bit. I plan to upload more videos asap. Interface one is about half way done.
    • Updated the macros post to note that you must manually replace the apostrophes with double quotes when using copy and paste.
    • Fixed a typo on the abilities post as found by MutantMonkey. You only need to be level 26 to gain Mercy Stroke, not 28.
    • Also changed the verbiage on Provoke within the abilities post to prevent any unintended misinterpretation as brought up by Gopher113
    • Added Chocobro.com as a resource in the references post. Some great theorycrafting can be found here.

10/11/2013:
    • New post type added! There is now a Videos post. I would like to thank Gray Spy for giving me direction on how to make these videos.
    • Added a video on AOE Tanking and Chain Pulling
    • Added a video on Single Target (Boss) Tanking.

10/10/2013:
    • New item type added to Gear post!
    • Consumables are slowly being added, currently I have added Food. The ordering has some requirements so please read carefully. Massive thank you to Viray for contributing this information in a well formatted list so it can quickly and easily be added to the compendium.
    • I added a "Your first Allagan Tombstones of Mythology" section that answers the reappearing question of "Where should I spend my Allagan Tombstones of Mythology?" It is very opinionated and fits into my play style, but perhaps it will give you some sort of direction should you question your own path to becoming an endgame tank.
    • Updated the Cover macro in the Macros post to have a better targeting mechanic as reported by PiedPiper

10/09/2013:
    • Complete overhaul on the Gear post. Found some hard data on accuracy.
    • Updated the stat weights in the to include my findings. Due to these changes, I augmented the gear list to have letters signify it is an accuracy/mitigation/enmity piece.
    • Quoted the source in the References post where I found the accuracy cap data.

10/07/2013:
    • Finally got Conjurer to 34 and personally verified the use of Stoneskin.
    • Updated the Abilities post to include further elaboration and a use case for Stoneskin.

9/17/2013:
    • Gear post items now link out to their respective listing on http://xivdb.com/.
    • Reordered some gear to better match Paladin stat weights.

9/16/2013:
    • Fixed some gear ordering errors in the Gear post as reported by OptimusPrime.

9/10/2013:
    • Updated the drop location of Darklight Macuahuitl in the Gear post as reported by Carth.
    • Many other drop locations have also been updated.

9/8/2013:
    • I received tons of feedback in regards to Fracture and Shield Swipe. I elaborated on them a bit in the Abilities post.
    • More information on when to use certain cool downs was added to the Abilities post.

9/7/2013:
    • Added Allagan tome prices in the Gear post.
    • Added a source link on where I drew a concensus to choose VIT over STR on the References post.

9/6/2013:
    • Added Cross Class level requirements on the Abilities post per smokingbluntsallday's request.
    • Added a "Use case" line items to the Macros post to answer the question raised by Raen Ryong.
    • Completely changed the layout of the Rotation post to show that Paladin uses a Priority system rather than a step by step script as requested per Churchill and Irvy.
    • Added information on what data I gathered from the websites stated on the References post.
    • Corrected a typo on Foresight in the Abilities post as found by Kuishen.

Table of Contents

I. Introduction
    II. Abilities
    III. Rotation
    IV. Macros
    V. Gear
    VI. Videos
    VI. References

I. Introduction

Background:
    I have been tanking for 12 years now. I started on FFXI as a Paladin, very little data was at my disposal since and I was also very young. I then moved onto Warhammer, as a Chosen still no awareness of min/maxing. When I discovered World of Warcraft my world began to open up as I was introduced to many theory crafters such as Theck, as well as pro gamers like Kungen, Sco, and Riggnaros. There was a ton of data at my disposal such as Noxxic and Icyviens. WoW is also where I decided it is best to level all tanks to make myself more of a future proof tank. I wanted to be resilient to new content and rebalancing of tanks. Later I played swtor, theory crafters there were KeyboardNinja and Dipstik. Tera had the theory crafter Eziel. I also played Rift, which had tons of information stored on Riftscene.

Assumptions:
    This is written with for a level 50 Paladin with the intent to min/max for tanking end game content. Given that, you must also have the basic understanding of what a tank's role is in a party. This guide could be useful at any level, but it will not be a perfect fit. I am in no way a theory crafter, I am an implementer. I gather information, create a general consensus of best practices, test them then draw my own conclusions. These are my findings.

II. Abilities

All abilities listed below are with the bias of enmity generation rather than damage.

Gladiator:
    Fast Blade - Combo starter. Just does damage with no enmity multiplier, a necessary evil.

Rampart – 20% damage reduction for 20 seconds. 90 second cool down. Use this often, typically when a healer is resurrecting a player or you took a big hit, I pair this with Convalescence

Savage Blade – Builder with x3 enmity multiplier. Another necessary evil.

Fight or Flight – Increases physical damage dealt by 30%. 90 second cool down. Use this on cool down to maximize threat generation.

Flash – AOE enmity ability, also blinds the target.

Convalescence – Increases heals done to you by 30%. 120 second cool down. Pair this with a damage mitigation cool down or if you are really low on HP and want to make those big heals count.

Riot Blade – Finisher, restores Mana.

Shield Lob –Highest ranged enmity ability with x3 enmity multiplier. If a mob is running away and provoke is down, spam this until the mob is back on you.

Shield Bash – Stuns the target for 6 second. Affected by diminishing returns. On the GCD and also invokes the GCD. Resets Halone Combo. Hard to use to its full potential due to all the caveats attached, but it has its place.

Provoke – Matches top enmity player +1 enmity point. 40 second cool down. Since this does not deal damage and only gives you 1 enmity point more than the person at the top of the list, I strongly recommend you macro Rage of Halone (Highest melee enmity single GCD ability) and Shield Lob (Highest ranged enmity single GCD ability) to execute after you hit this ability.

Rage of Halone – Finisher, the highest melee enmity abilty, combo’ed or not.

Shield Swipe – Very high TP to damage ratio ability. No cool down. No enmity modifier. On the GCD and also invokes the GCD. Additional effect Pacification. With all that being said, I do not even have it on my bar. Bosses are rarely affected by the extra effect and it slows down your Halone Combo generation, simply not worth it in regards to maximizing enmity per GCD. On the flip side it does increase your DPS and extremely TP efficient so just know this move is in your toolbox. Use it if you like.

Awareness – Cannot be crit for 25 seconds. 120 second cool down. Defensive cool down great for AOE tanking. Use this in a big pull so you take steady incoming damage.

Sentinel – 40% damage reduction for 10 seconds, 180 second cool down. I use this when I know a huge hit is going to happen or Rampart is on cool down. This can easily change the course of a fight when used correctly.

Tempered Will – Nullifies Bind and Heavy instantly. Making you immune to Knock Back or Draw In effects for 10 seconds. 180 second cool down. Use this when applicable.

Bulwark – increases block rate by 60% for 15 seconds. 180 second cool down. Defensive cool down that should be used during high rate of high physical damage.

Marauder: Requires level 26 to gain all cross-class moves.
    Foresight - Increases defense by 20% for 20 seconds. 120 second cool down. Use this often, the same way you would use Rampart, just note the cool down is 30 seconds longer and it is not as effective as Rampart.

Skull Sunder – Do not cross this over.

Fracture – High TP to damage ratio DOT. No cool down. No enmity modifier. On the GCD and also invokes the GCD. Resets your Halone Combo. This will add to your DPS overall but lower your enmity output.

Bloodbath – Converts 25% of physical damage done into HP for 15 seconds. 90 second cool down. I macro this into my Fast Blade. The extra heals are nice, the fact you used the ability creates very small enmity, and it’s on a relatively short cool down.

Mercy Stroke – Attack that is off the GCD and doesn’t invoke the GCD. Can only be used when the target is below 20% HP. Heals you for 20% of your HP if you kill the target with it. 90 second cool down. Basically this will cause you to generate even more enmity towards the end of the fight. Macro this into your Fast Blade to use it on cooldown.

Conjurer: Requires level 34 to gain all cross-class moves.
    Cure – Heals. Have this on your bar until your HP is high enough to make Stoneskin better. Overall lackluster, but a tool in your toolbox none the less.

Protect - Buff. Increases physical defense. Really only needed for soloing.

Raise – Resurrects a player. Cannot be used during combat. It has its place.

Stoneskin – Buff that absorbs 10% of targets HP. When your HP is high enough this ability has better EH potency than cure. On the GCD, invokes the GCD, also resets Halone Combo. Use this during boss casting or a known mechanic that causes healers to move such Imminent Catastrophe from Anatoboga in Amdapor Keep.

Paladin: Requires level 30 Gladiator and 15 Conjurer. You gain a skill every 5 levels via quests.
    Sword Oath – DPS stance buff. Does not persist through death so verify you have this before a pull if you are supposed to be DPSing.

Cover – Transfers physical damage from targeted player to you. 12 second duration. 120 second cool down. Must be within 6 yalms of the targeted player. Cast this on a player if your provoke is down and you are trying to gain aggro.

Shield Oath – Tank stance buff. Does not persist through death so verify you have this before a pull if you are supposed to be tanking.

Spirits Within – Highest damaging attack. No enmity multiplier, but it is off the GCD, does not invoke the GCD, and does not reset your Halone Combo. Has a 1 second silence attached so it can potentially be used to interrupt casted spells. You should use this every time its up if you have high HP.

Hallowed Ground – Invincible for 10 seconds. 420 second cool down. This move does not work on mechanical one shot moves such as a Primal enrage explosion.

III. Rotation

There is something I will call the "Halone Combo" it is Fast Blade (Macro) -> Savage Blade -> Rage of Halone.
    Based on the data from http://valk.dancing-mad.com/?page_id=231 this is the highest enmity per global cool down you can do. You do not want to do anything to slow down the generation of this combo, otherwise you are simply slowing down your enmity generation.
    There is also a "Riot Combo." This is how you get Mana back. It is not high enmity combo, but it will help you balance your resource pools.
    Always pull with the Fight of Flight buff to maximize initial enmity generation.

Single-Target:
    Opener:
    1. Shield Lob while running towards the mob -> Spirits Within -> Circle of Scorn (Macro) -> Halone Combo
    This will allow you to hit 4 moves within 1 GCD. Creating some solid starting enmity

Upkeep: The following is a priority system not a step by step rotation. If you see something earlier in the list not on cool down, use it.
    Spirits Within (On cool down at high health, this does not break your Halone Combo so use it ASAP)
    Circle of Scorn (On cooldown, this does not break your Halone Combo so use it ASAP)
    Mercy Stroke (On cooldown, this does not break your Halone Combo so use it ASAP)
    Flash (If not applied)
    Halone Combo
    Thought process: The opener allows for a very high threat with 2 moves not invoking the GCD. It also debuffs the boss. During the upkeep phase overhead is kept to a minimal. This allows the tank to react faster to movement or hitting cool downs. As a tank all you have to remember is; keep Spirits Within and Circle of Scorn on cool down, if they are, Halone Combo. Obviously try to keep the Flash debuff up, but that is mitigation not threat.

Multi-Target:
    Opener: Mark (Macro) -> Spirits Within -> Circle of Scorn (Macro) -> Flash until about half Mana
    This will allow you to hit 4 moves within 1 GCD. Creating some solid starting enmity while also conveying to your party which mob to focus kill first.

Upkeep: The following is a priority system not a step by step rotation. If you see something earlier in the list not on cool down, use it.
    Spirits Within (On cool down at high health, this does not break your Halone Combo so use it ASAP)
    Circle of Scorn (On cool down, this does not break your Halone Combo so use it ASAP)
    Mercy Stroke (On cool down, this does not break your Halone Combo so use it ASAP)
    Riot Combo -> Flash
    Thought process: The opener allows for a very high threat with 2 moves not invoking the GCD. It also debuffs mobs while creating AOE enmity. One important thing to note, in FFXI the application of a debuff does not add threat. When you see "Blind/Flash Resisted," it means nothing. During the upkeep phase you want generate as much enmity as possible on multiple targets, but flash spam is not enough to do that. Auto-Attack, Spirits Within, and Riot combos on the marked mob allows for DPS to focus, while the upfront barrage of flashes and a flash every 7.5 seconds allows you to achieve your goal in most cases. Understand this requires coordination. If a DPS chooses to attack the non-marked, they could very well pull aggro off you. The reason I only spam Flash to half Mana is in case something happens, such as a second wave or a pat that needs snap aggro. With this rotation you should not run out of Mana or TP, and with a bard cool down or general Mana regeneration you may be able to throw in an extra Flash.

IV. Macros

These are purely to lower the overhead required to play the job and to allow more overall survivability. These are by no means required to play but can be extremely helpful.

To get rid of chat log spam:
    1. Navigate Character configuration option menu
    2. Click the Log Windows Settings icon on the left pane
    3. Select the desired log you would like to filter
    4. Click the Announcements tab
    5. Uncheck “Error Messages”
    6. Apply then close all dialogs

Note: Currently I do not think there is a way to get rid of the “Not yet ready.” spam at the top of your screen.

Please note that when using copy and paste, BBcode translates the quotes into double apostrophes, so you must manually change them in game.

Marking:
    /marking attack1 <t>
    /ac “Shield Lob” <t>
    Use case: Quickly mark the target while pulling.

Fast Blade:
    /macroicon “Fast Blade”
    /ac “Fight or Flight” <me>
    /ac Bloodbath <me>
    /ac “Mercy Stroke” <t>
    /ac “Fast Blade” <t>
    Use case: To keep Fight or Flight on cool down thus upping your enmity overall. Keep Bloodbath on cooldown to add extra healing over the course of the fight. To add an extra non GCD attack during the end of a battle. Should all variables be satisfied it will then Fast Blade.

Provoke:
    /macroicon Provoke
    /ac Provoke <t>
    /ac “Rage of Halone” <t>
    /ac “Shield Lob” <t>
    Use case: Only use this when you do not have aggro and should. This will shoot you to the top of the enmity list (+1 enmity point above #2 on the list), then depending on if the mob is at range or in melee distance it will automatically Rage of Halone or Shield Lob. This will reset your combo progress so use this carefully if at all.

Circle of Scorn:
    /macroicon “Circle of Scorn”
    /ac “Circle of Scorn” <me>
    /ac Flash <me>
    Use case: This is to create as much AOE enmity in the smallest amount of time. Since Circle of Scorn does not invoke the GCD it will appear that you Circle of Scorn and Flash at the same time. This is also a good way to Flash more often should you have trouble keeping Blind up.

Cover:
    /macroicon Cover
    /ac Cover <mo>
    /ac Cover <tt>
    /ac Cover <t>
    Use case: This allows you the option to cast Cover using mouseover for those that leverage the Party frames, while not losing the ability to also click on a target and cast the ability.

Cure:
    /macroicon Cure
    /ac Cure <mo>
    /ac Cure <t>
    /ac Cure <me>
    Use case: This allows you the option to cast Cure using mouseover for those that leverage the Party frames, while not losing the ability to also click on a target and cast the ability. If you are targeting an enemy target it will cast Cure on you.

Stoneskin:
    /macroicon Stoneskin
    /ac Stoneskin <mo>
    /ac Stoneskin <t>
    /ac Stoneskin <me>
    Use case: This allows you the option to cast Stoneskin using mouseover for those that leverage the Party frames, while not losing the ability to also click on a target and cast the ability. If you are targeting an enemy target it will cast Stoneskin on you.

Miscellaneous Macro Commands
    /p Hallowed Ground Activated! 10s of God Mode <hp> <hpp>
    Use case: This casts Hallowed Ground and informs the desired chat channel and healers of your invulnerability status and prints your current hp values and hp percentage.

/recast "Fight or Flight"
    Use case: This outputs the remaining time on a cooldown into chat.

V. Gear

Gear Choices:
    This was created with the understanding that you are wearing full gallant and looking for upgrades.

VIT vs STR
    Currently from the data I have gathered, VIT is all you want. This may change later in the game. STR will increase the chance of physical mitigation and generate more threat. So if it’s physical, it will give you a chance of mitigation. Chances are not reliable. Threat is nice, but a better weapon will give you more bang for your buck than stats will. Stacking VIT scales with abilities like Stoneskin, Lustrate, Mercy Stroke, Benediction, etc. Also there is a health generation during the fight that happens every 3 seconds based on your overall health. Larger health pools allow for a healer to ignore you and possibly resurrect someone. You are also less spikey.

Block Strength vs Block Rate
    Following the methodology of taking less damage consistently and appearing less spikey, stick to buckler’s and kite shields. As you approach the Block Rate cap you can start walking into tower shields.

Best in Slot
    This is absolutely best in slot if you are focusing on maximizing parry while still satisfying the 475 accuracy requirement:

By popular demand here is a shopping cart for the best in slot gear pre Turn 5. This set maximizes parry while still satisfying the 475 accuracy requirement:

Gear is currently weighted, but subject to change:
    Accuracy to 475 -> Item Quality -> Item Level -> Defense (If armor)/DPS (If weapon) -> VIT -> STR -> Resistance -> (Determination = Parry) -> Skill Speed -> Crit

Drop Locations:
    These are listed in highest tank points to lowest.
    Caution: If you blinding pick the top item of every slot you will not have enough accuracy.

Item Stat Allocation - aligned from more to less
    A = Accuracy
    E = Enmity
    M = Mitigation

Weapon:
    90MA - Allagan Blade - Binding Coil of Bahamut Turn 5
    90AM - Curtana +1 - Relic Report quest reward upgraded using 600 Allagan Tombstones of Mythology
    80AM - Curtana - Quest, The Weaponsmith of Legend from Nedrick Ironheart in Vesper Bay
    70EM - Garuda's Gaze - Garuda Hard Mode
    70ME - Morbid Mogblade - Good King Moggle Mog XII, World Boss in Black Shroud
    60ME - Ifrit's Blade - Ifrit Hard Mode
    70ME - Mailbreaker - Crafted
    55ME - Darklight Macuahuitl - Tonberry King in Wanderer's Palace (Last boss)
    55ME - Flame Lieutenant's Katzbalger – Vendor, Immortal Flames Quartermaster in Ul’dah (7040 Flame Seal)
    55EE - Storm Lieutenant's Cutlass – Vendor, Storm Quartermaster in Limsa Lominsa (7040 Storm Seal)
    55EM - Serpent Lieutenant's Longsword – Vendor, Order of the Twin Adder Quartermaster in New Gridania (7040 Serpent Seal)

Shield:
    90ME - Holy Shield +1 - Relic Report quest reward upgraded using 300 Allagan Tombstones of Mythology
    90MA - Allagan Round Shield - Binding Coil of Bahamut Turn 1
    80ME - Holy Shield - Quest, The Weaponsmith of Legend from Nedrick Ironheart in Vesper Bay
    70ME - The Wall of Crags – Titan Hard Mode
    55ME - Darklight Kite Shield - Tonberry King in Wanderer's Palace (Last boss)

Head:
    90MA - Allagan Helm - Binding Coil of Bahamut Turn 5
    90AE - Valor Coronet - Vendor, Auriana in Revenant's Toll (495 Allagan Tombstones of Mythology)
    60AM - Hoplite Circlet - Psycheflayer in Amdapor Keep (First boss)
    55MA - Vermilion Chain Coif - Chest in The Wanderer's Palace
    52AM - Red Onion Helm - Chest in Aurum Vale

Body:
    90ME - Valor Surcoat - Vendor, Auriana in Revenant's Toll (825 Allagan Tombstones of Mythology)
    90AM - Heavy Allagan Armor - Binding Coil of Bahamut Turn 1
    70ME - Heavy Darklight Armor (Cannot equip Head) - Vendor, Auriana in Revenant's Toll (1320 Allagan Tombstones of Philosophy)
    70ME - Heavy Darksteel Armor (Cannot equip Head) - Crafted
    60AE - Hoplite Tabard - Anantaboga in Amdapor Keep (Last boss)
    50EM - Herklaedi (Cannot equip Hands, Legs, or Feet) - Vendor, Aelina in Revenant's Toll (5 Odin's Mantle)

Hands:
    90AM - Heavy Allagan Gauntlets - Binding Coil of Bahamut Turn 4
    90ME - Valor Gauntlets - Vendor, Auriana in Revenant's Toll (495 Allagan Tombstones of Mythology)
    70AM - Heavy Darklight Gauntlets - Vendor, Auriana in Revenant's Toll (495 Allagan Tombstones of Philosophy)
    60MA - Hoplite Gauntlets - Psycheflayer in Amdapor Keep (First boss)
    52MA - Spiked Armguards - Coffer in Aurum Vale

Waist:
    90MA - Allagan Plate Belt - Binding Coil of Bahamut Turn 2
    90AE - Hero's Belt Of Fending - Vendor, Auriana in Revenant's Toll (375 Allagan Tombstones of Mythology)
    70MA - Heavy Darklight Plate Belt - Vendor, Auriana in Revenant's Toll (375 Allagan Tombstones of Philosophy)
    60MA - Hoplite Belt - Amdapor Keep
    52MA - Explorer's Belt - Coffer in Aurum Vale

Legs:
    90EM - Heavy Allagan Cuisses - Binding Coil of Bahamut Turn 2
    90MA - Valor Cuisses - Vendor, Auriana in Revenant's Toll (825 Allagan Tombstones of Mythology)
    70AM - Heavy Darklight Flanchard (Cannot equip Feet) - Vendor, Auriana in Revenant's Toll (1320 Allagan Tombstones of Philosophy)
    70EE - Heavy Darksteel Flanchard (Cannot equip Feet) - Crafted
    60ME - Hoplite Trousers - Demonwall in Amdapor Keep (Second boss)
    55MA - Vermilion Skirt - The Wanderer's Palace
    52ME - Thormoen's Subligar - Aurum Vale

Feet:
    90ME - Heavy Allagan Flanchard - Binding Coil of Bahamut Turn 1
    90AM - Valor Sollerets - Vendor, Auriana in Revenant's Toll (495 Allagan Tombstones of Mythology)
    60AE - Hoplite Sabatons - Demonwall in Amdapor Keep (Second boss)
    55MA - Vermilion Sollerets - The Wanderer's Palace
    52AE - Explorer's Sabatons - Aurum Vale

Wrists:
    90AM - Allagan Bracelets Of Fending - Binding Coil of Bahamut Turn 4
    90ME - Hero's Bracelet Of Fending - Vendor, Auriana in Revenant's Toll (375 Allagan Tombstones of Mythology)
    70AM - Darklight Bracelet Of Fending - Vendor, Auriana in Revenant's Toll (375 Allagan Tombstones of Philosophy)
    70EM - Rose Gold Bracelets - Crafted

Ring:
    90ME - Allagan Ring Of Fending - Binding Coil of Bahamut Turn 2
    90AM - Hero's Ring Of Fending - Vendor, Auriana in Revenant's Toll (375 Allagan Tombstones of Mythology)
    70MA - Darklight Band Of Fending - Vendor, Auriana in Revenant's Toll (375 Allagan Tombstones of Philosophy)
    60AM - Hoplite Ring - Coffer in Amdapor Keep
    70AM - Rose Gold Ring - Crafted
    52AM - Stonewall Ring - Unknown
    50EE - Ring Of Lasting Shelter - Vendor, Aelina in Revenant's Toll (5 Behemoth Horn)

Neck:
    90EM - Hero's Necklace Of Fending - Vendor, Auriana in Revenant's Toll (375 Allagan Tombstones of Mythology)
    90MA - Allagan Choker Of Fending - Binding Coil of Bahamut Turn 1
    70MA - Darklight Choker Of Fending - Vendor, Auriana in Revenant's Toll (375 Allagan Tombstones of Philosophy)
    70EM - Hoplite Choker - Amdapor Keep
    70ME - Rose Gold Gorget - Crafted
    55ME - Militia Choker - Crafted
    52EM - Stonewall Choker - Unknown

Ears:
    90EM - Hero's Earrings Of Fending - Vendor, Auriana in Revenant's Toll (375 Allagan Tombstones of Mythology)
    90MA - Allagan Earrings Of Fending - Binding Coil of Bahamut Turn 2
    70ME - Darklight Earrings Of Fending - Vendor, Auriana in Revenant's Toll (375 Allagan Tombstones of Philosophy)
    60AM - Hoplite Earrings - Coffer in Amdapor Keep
    70ME - Rose Gold Ear Cuffs - Crafted
    52AM - Stonewall Earrings - Unknown

*Food:
    634MA - Finger Sandwich HQ - 19 Vitality, 27 Parry, 9 Accuracy
    750MA - Finger Sandwich - 15 Vitality, 22 Parry, 9 Accuracy
    375ME - Eft Steak HQ - 15 Vitality, 10 Accuracy, 26 Skill Speed
    350MA - La Noscean Toast HQ - 14 Vitality, 23 Parry, 7 Accuracy
    400ME - Eft Steak - 12 Vitality, 8 Accuracy, 21 Skill Speed
    367MA - La Noscean Toast - 11 Vitality, 18 Parry, 7 Accuracy
    200ME - Knight's Bread - 8 Vitality, 13 Parry, 5 Skill Speed
    150ME - Cornbread - 6 Vitality, 10 Parry, 4 Skill Speed
    150MA - Acorn Cookie - 6 Vitality, 10 Parry, 4 Accuracy
    *Ordered with the assumption that you are at the accuracy cap prior to consuming. The preceding number is the Vitality requirement to gain full potential of the food.

VI. Videos

These are a few short videos that demonstrate some fundamentals found in this guide

User Interface and Macros - Extremely extensive. Gives some suggestions on how to layout your interface to maximize both raid awareness and as well lower player overhead during battles. Also discusses uses of certain abilities that may be controversial.
    Single Target (Boss) Tanking - Last boss in AK. Discuss best practices for single target threat, positioning, mitigation, and maximizing raid awareness.
    AOE Tanking and Chain Pulling - Dungeon crawling through AK. Tank 8+ mobs, mention halone splitting which is not found in this guide, as well as resource management.
    Wanderer's Palace Speed Run - Very detailed explaination on how to be very time efficent when farming Allagan Tombstones of Mythology. Content by: Zeus Laser

More as I get input.

VI. References

These are simply links where a lot of my data was gathered. Feel free to visit them and draw possibly draw your own conclusions.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/f...657-Tank-Roles - Information to build a general consensus on how the Paladin community is tanking
    http://www.bluegartr.com/forums/155-...Theorycrafting - Information to build a general consensus on how the Paladin community is tanking
    http://www.daevaofwar.net/index.php?...sjob-analysis/ - Another great guide that beginner information this guide assumes you already know.
    https://pay.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comme...flash_testing/ - Discussion on what affects flash, also contains diminishing returns on stacking STR.
    http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/t...LD-Bonus-Stats - a discussion on STR vs VIT
    http://valk.dancing-mad.com/?page_id=231 - A table that contains abilities along with their enmity multipliers
    http://xivdb.com/ - An item database that sometimes contains comments on drop locations.
    http://mooglebox.com - A now decommisioned database that contained loot drop locations.
    http://www.ffxivinfo.com/ - A what appears to be an up and coming resource site for FFXIV.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...ob2hnWHc#gid=1 - Information on accuracy caps.
    http://chocobro.com - great theorycraft website.
    http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/t...ipment-Planner - Jahaudant's Paladin equipment planner.

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Irvy Ryath
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Single-Target:
    Opener: Shield Lob -> Spirits Within -> Circle of Scorn(Macro) -> Halone Combo
    Actually, it is far better to intertwine GCD abilities (such as weapon skills) with out of GCD abilities when you re waiting for GCD.

Also, you re not at melee range when you use shield lob, so it is safe to assume that you ll be able to either throw a flash or a WS when the mob reach melee range.

The optimal single target opener would be shield lob ->flash -> circle of scorn (or spirit within)-> fast blade -> spirit within (or circle of scorn) -> savage blade -> Defensive or offensive out of GCD ability->rage of halone.

Multi-Target:
    Opener: Mark (Macro) -> Spirits Within -> Circle of Scorn (Macro) -> Flash until about half Mana
    Same thing here, shield lob, then when the monsters reach melee range flash asap and use circle of scorn while waiting for your GCD. Then flash again and spirit within while waiting for your GCD.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Serefina Solfyre
    FFXIV Server
    Odin
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Do not macro a taunt to anything.

If you are top target, you should never use a taunt. It is a very inefficient use of a GCD and deprives you of a taunt for the cooldown's duration.

Yarglebargle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Foresight is a 20% increase to defense, not a 20% decrease in damage taken. Which makes it far less useful than Rampart. I don't know what other cross-class skills PLD gets but that might change your setup. It's even less useful at the early levels but there's really nothing else to use.

EDIT: I guess they do kinda get shafted on cross-class skills in general so yeah, it's something but Foresight isn't very useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Raen Ryong View Post
    Do not macro a taunt to anything.

If you are top target, you should never use a taunt. It is a very inefficient use of a GCD and deprives you of a taunt for the cooldown's duration.
    Added a purpose line item to show when you would use the provoke macro.

Quote Originally Posted by Irvy View Post
    Actually, it is far better to intertwine GCD abilities (such as weapon skills) with out of GCD abilities when you re waiting for GCD.

Also, you re not at melee range when you use shield lob, so it is safe to assume that you ll be able to either throw a flash or a WS when the mob reach melee range.

The optimal single target opener would be shield lob ->flash -> circle of scorn (or spirit within)-> fast blade -> spirit within (or circle of scorn) -> savage blade -> Defensive or offensive out of GCD ability->rage of halone.

Same thing here, shield lob, then when the monsters reach melee range flash asap and use circle of scorn while waiting for your GCD. Then flash again and spirit within while waiting for your GCD.
    That combo is written with the understanding that you are hitting all buttons as fast as you can. If there is no GCD there is no reason for you to be waiting to hit an ability. So in the combo I stated you are Shield Lobbing at a distance while running towards the target, when your GCD is over from Shield Lob, you should be able to Spirits Within, Circle of Scorn and Flash all at the same time, then begin your Halone Combo. The reason I use Spirits Within first is to make sure I land it with 300 potency due to the mob not hitting me yet, but again it all happens pretty much within the same second so if you chose to Circle of Scorn first thats a personal choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuishen View Post
    Foresight is a 20% increase to defense, not a 20% decrease in damage taken. Which makes it far less useful than Rampart. I don't know what other cross-class skills PLD gets but that might change your setup. It's even less useful at the early levels but there's really nothing else to use.

EDIT: I guess they do kinda get shafted on cross-class skills in general so yeah, it's something but Foresight isn't very useful.
    Ahh my mistake, updated to reflect your findings.

Circle of Scorn and Spirits are both off GCD though. PLD's hate generation is slow enough to where you should always start with your enmity combo and work non-GCD in between the hits.

Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    Circle of Scorn and Spirits are both off GCD though. PLD's hate generation is slow enough to where you should always start with your enmity combo and work non-GCD in between the hits.
    I will edit rotation post to better show that its a priority system rather than a step by step rotation.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

It keeps saying in red text the command is used incorrectly.
    I made a macro just with fight or flight and fast blade because im too low level for the other abilities. I don't get the icon of fast blade neither.
    What am I doing wrong here?

I can't post URL yet because of the 10 posts thing, and I don't feel like going in against the rules of the board to make 10 useless posts of spam.

imgur.com/WpbLxdt.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Gawain View Post
    It keeps saying in red text the command is used incorrectly.
    I made a macro just with fight or flight and fast blade because im too low level for the other abilities. I don't get the icon of fast blade neither.
    What am I doing wrong here?

I can't post URL yet because of the 10 posts thing, and I don't feel like going in against the rules of the board to make 10 useless posts of spam.

imgur.com/WpbLxdt.jpg
    The icon appears on the bar when you drag it over. As for the error you have I can not replicate it. Here is a screenshot of mine: http://i41.tinypic.com/k9fhpu.png

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

If you just use copy/paste like I did, they will not work. For some reason, the quote marks that copy over are wrong! I just simply re-typed all the quote marks, and that fixed the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by WolfJester View Post
    If you just use copy/paste like I did, they will not work. For some reason, the quote marks that copy over are wrong! I just simply re-typed all the quote marks, and that fixed the issue.
    Haha weird! Yeah I noticed you can't copy text OUT of the game. Which was a pain when I made that macro post.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by WolfJester View Post
    That fixed it indeed. I just copy your macros and change the ” into an " and then they work like a charm I changed them all if u wanted to edit that. I dunno why it works differently for different people.

Marking:
    /marking attack1 <t>
    /ac "Shield Lob" <t>

Fast Blade:
    /macroicon "Fast Blade"
    /ac "Fight or Flight" <me>
    /ac "Bloodbath" <me>
    /ac "Mercy Stroke" <t>
    /ac "Fast Blade" <t>

Provoke:
    /macroicon "Provoke"
    /ac "Provoke" <t>