• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
    A. Body
    BG Level

Burned graphics card, how screwed am I?

Long story short, when starting up my comp with a new card, it shorted out and I noticed a burn on the input. My MB is shot, but it was over 6 years old anyway and reletively cheap to replace.

This all happened immediately after I got my card in the mail, so I thought I could just return it. Unfortunely, both the newegg and manufacturer's return policies state that any physical damage voids both. I see people glow about newegg's return policies, but if I lost money over something that probably isn't my fault, how good can it be?

Is this rule hard & fast? When they mean 'physical damage' do they mean something more extreme? Or did I just get a $90 paperweight?

Ive sucked 27 dicks, in a row.
    BG Level

It generally means "damage caused by physical means", like if you tried to put the card in with your slot lock closed and snapped the card, or accidentally dropped it off your roof, or something of that nature. Any damage is technically "physical damage" on a low enough level, damage caused by a manufacturing defect during normal operation should be covered regardless of whether it left a scorch mark or not.

Edit: I should stress "normal operation". If your motherboard shorted out itself and fried everything attached, you're probably fucked. Fortunately, it'd cost more than $90 to do a proper investigation, so most of the time, they'll just take you at your word that the card had a short and fried when you powered it up for the first time.

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Wait.. where is the card burned out - the power connector or the PCI-E interface?

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Classy Nekoda
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir
    WoW Realm
    Bloodhoof

Newegg is really good...I've had to do a few returns and was never asked questions beyond me saying 'this thing doesnt work anymore' kinda stuff....Especially if you got it in the last 3 months ~ Email them for a return number quick like....

A. Body
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Olo401 View Post
    Wait.. where is the card burned out - the power connector or the PCI-E interface?
    Newegg.com - BFG Tech BFGR76512GSOC GeForce 7600GS 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 AGP 4X/8X Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

This is the model, it is singed on the last 3 gold AGP connectors on the bottom side near the back pannel.

I don't think my MB destroyed everything, then again I currently have no way of checking. I'm holding to the hope that the VG card and the MB were the oly things affected, because I'd probably cut myself if my old and new HD were fried. ><;

Anyway, it's good to know I should at least get a replacement out of this, thanks for the advice.

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Since you're probably getting a new motherboard to replace the dead one anyways, have them issue you credit towards a PCI-E card.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

mmm agp.

A. Body
    BG Level

Bit of a follow-up, with my new MB, will I have to reload XP, or will the fact that it's still on my HDD be enough?

The Dazzler
    BG Level

I'd personally reload since you'll have an all new set of drivers and whatnot, though you may be able to continue without issue.

A. Body
    BG Level

My only XP disc is from SP1 and is from Dell. :/
    If I can take my chances, I will.

Thank you all for the information.

The Dazzler
    BG Level

You could try it, but if it's in the options to uninstall the current motherboard drivers you should kill those before you try installing the new ones. Same thing goes with video card drivers, though you should probably use one of the driver cleaners to make sure you get rid of everything related for that.

Either way, good luck. Hope it was only the motherboard and video card like you expect.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

If you keep the same HDD you don't need to reinstall XP, but it will force you to reactivate it

due to too many Hardware changes

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I've reinstalled tons of times. Moving hard drive from one computer to another without reinstalling xp has caused issues for me. You can get lucky, but it seems to be hit or miss.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

It's not ahrd to find a 9-in-1 XP install disc ISO that will accept OEM registration codes. I keep one in my software case for working tech calls for friends and family, and an image on my hard drive. I have one disc for all versions of XP with SP2 that will accept any registration code issued with a prebuilt computer or an existing install that someone lost their disc for. MS didn't put copy protection on the XP discs. Vendor discs just include driver sets for the machine it is supposed to ship with.

A. Body
    BG Level

Hmm...
    I already uninstalled my old VG drivers, would MB drivers also be in add/remove programs or do I really need a driver cleaner or what?

The Dazzler
    BG Level

They may or may not be in the add/remove programs. I don't know if there's a driver cleaner for motherboard ones, I was speaking more toward video card drivers. You could always try just booting with the new motherboard/video card, if it's all messed up then back things up (if you can) and reinstall.

A. Body
    BG Level

Bit of an update and another question.

I finally received my new case, MB, CPU, and the replacement VG and everything seems to be working well...The hardwear, anyway.

It seems I did have to install XP again, but when I was given the option to install or repair, I went for repair. Now It has something about an error with ASMS. I found a solution online, but I was wondering if I could just boot from the HD. The old disk recognized the version of XP home, so it should still be on there, right?