+ Reply to Thread
    Fuck It, I'm Goin Deep Fan Club President
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

8.6 magnitude earthquake hits SE Asia/Indian Ocean again

I don't know if we have any BG'ers from the area, but another huge quake in the same area that got nailed by the 2004 tsunami.
    The tremor was felt in Singapore, Thailand, Bangladesh, Malaysia and India. High-rise apartments and offices on Malaysia's west coast shook for at least a minute.

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center in Hawaii said a tsunami watch was in effect for Indonesia, India, Sri Lanka, Australia, Myanmar, Thailand, the Maldives and other Indian Ocean islands, Malaysia, Pakistan, Somalia, Oman, Iran, Bangladesh, Kenya, South Africa and Singapore.
    http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/dam/ass...-story-top.jpg

(CNN) -- A massive earthquake struck off the coast of the Indonesian island of Sumatra on Wednesday afternoon, triggering a tsunami alert for the Indian Ocean.

The quake struck about 434 kilometers southwest of Banda Aceh, the capital of Indonesia's Aceh province, and had a magnitude of 8.6, the U.S. Geological Survey said. It took place at a depth of 23 kilometers.

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center said it had issued a tsunami watch for the entire Indian Ocean, and the Indonesian Meteorology, Climatology and Geophysics Agency said it had put up a tsunami warning.

The areas most at risk of a tsunami are coastal areas of Aceh, particularly the island of Simeulue, Prih Harjadi, an official for the Indonesian agency said on Metro TV.

He said that according to their calculations, it was possible that waves as high as 6 meters could hit Simeulue.

The power has gone out in Banda Aceh and residents are moving to higher ground, said Sutopo Purwo Nugroho, a spokesman for the Indonesian National Disaster Management Agency.

The extent of the damage is still being assessed.

The authorities in India's Andaman and Nicobar Islands have ordered people to move out of low-lying areas.

The region's chief secretary, Shakti Sinha, said that there are "a few hundred people" in the areas where the evacuation order had been issued.

In 2004, a 9.1-magnitude underwater earthquake struck off the coast of Sumatra, triggering a tsunami that killed more than 200,000 people in 14 countries. The majority of the deaths were in Indonesia, with Aceh bearing the brunt.

That quake took place 250 kilometers south-southeast of Banda Aceh at a depth of 30 kilometers.

The tsunami, which washed away entire communities, caused nearly $10 billion in damage and more casualties than any other tsunami in history, according to the United Nations.

Indonesia is on the so-called Ring of Fire, an arc of fault lines circling the Pacific Basin that is prone to frequent earthquakes and volcanic eruptions.

The earthquake Wednesday comes just over year after a magnitude 9 quake off the northeast coast of Japan caused a devastating tsunami. The death toll from that disaster stands at about 15,850.
    BANDA ACEH, Indonesia (AP) — A tsunami watch was issued for countries across the Indian Ocean after a massive earthquake hit waters off Indonesia on Wednesday, triggering widespread panic as residents along coastlines fled to high ground in cars and on the backs of motorcycles.

Some were screamed "God is great" as they poured from their homes. Others, separated from relatives, cried as they ran frantically through the streets.

The U.S. Geological Survey said the 8.6-magnitude quake was centered 20 miles (33 kilometers) beneath the ocean floor around 269 miles (434 kilometers) from Aceh's provincial capital.

The tremor was felt in Singapore, Thailand, Bangladesh, Malaysia and India. High-rise apartments and offices on Malaysia's west coast shook for at least a minute.

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center in Hawaii said a tsunami watch was in effect for Indonesia, India, Sri Lanka, Australia, Myanmar, Thailand, the Maldives and other Indian Ocean islands, Malaysia, Pakistan, Somalia, Oman, Iran, Bangladesh, Kenya, South Africa and Singapore.

A tsunami watch means there is the potential for a tsunami, not that one is imminent.

Said, an official at Indonesia's Meteorology and Geophysics Agency who goes by only one name, said a tsunami warning has been issued for cities all along the coast of Sumatra island.

President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono told reporters: "There is no tsunami reported so far, but we remain vigilant."

"Our warning system is working well, and I have ordered the national relief team to fly immediately to Aceh to ensure the situation is under control and to take any necessary action," he said.

Thanks God, from what I heard there is neither casualties reported nor major damage in Banda Aceh or other places," he added.

There was chaos in the streets, with fierce shaking continuing for nearly four minutes.

Patients in several cities poured out of hospitals, some with drips still attached to their arms. In some places, electricity was briefly cut.

"It wasn't the strongest quake I've felt," said 22-year-old Tuti Rahmi, while trying to reach her brother by phone.

"But it seemed to last forever," she said. "Hopefully there won't be too much damage."

One hour after the temblor, people were still standing outside their homes and offices, afraid to go back inside.

There were several strong aftershocks.

"I was in the shower on the fifth floor of my hotel," Timbang Pangaribuan told El Shinta radio from the city of Medan. "We all ran out. ... We're all standing outside now."

He said one guest was injured when he jumped from the window of his room.

Thailand's National Disaster Warning Center issued an evacuation order to residents in six provinces along the country's west coast, including the popular tourist destinations of Phuket, Krabi and Phang-Nga.

India's Tsunami Warning Center issued a tsunami warning for parts of the eastern Andaman and Nicobar islands.

In Tamil Nadu in southern India, police cordoned off the beach and used loudspeakers to warn people to leave the area.

Satheesh Shenoi, director of the Indian National Center for Ocean information Services, said the chance of a tsunami was diminishing.

"There are no indications of tsunami wave; the instruments are not showing any sea level change," he said.

The quake was felt in Dhaka, Bangladesh, where many people in the city's commercial Motijheel district left their offices and homes in panic and ran into the streets. No damage or causalities were reported.

In Male, the capital of the Maldives, buildings were evacuated.

Indonesia straddles a series of fault lines that makes the vast island nation prone to volcanic and seismic activity.

A giant 9.1-magnitude quake off the country on Dec. 26, 2004, triggered a tsunami in the Indian Ocean that killed 230,000 people, nearly three quarter of them in Aceh.

Fuck It, I'm Goin Deep Fan Club President
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

they just had an 8.1 aftershock..damn...

I pullout to go pee.
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle
    WoW Realm
    Winterhoof

Kind of skimmed through but no tsunami for this yet? Kind of figured one would pop up somewhere with that kind of quake

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Well, I coming from South east asian region, but not from indonesia, just right beside it. According to my friend, they do notice the sea level is going down around the shore, which is similar to the symptom of tsunami that hits the indonesia few years ago. So.... there is a high chance the tsunami will come

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

The main M8.6 shock and subsequent M8.2 aftershock were the result of horizontal strike-slip faulting, not the vertical megathrust rupturing associated with massive tsunami generation. Granted M8.6 is definitely the largest magnitude I've personally seen from any strike-slip event. If the entirety of the comparable San Andreas were to rupture, for example (which it doesn't do), it would only produce a shock in the 7.9~8.3 range. Today's shocks were well off-shore, but I guess we should feel fortunate our own plate boundary hasn't spat up five M8.0+ events in 7 years.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Sixty seconds of shaking? Dayum.

Bitchfist
    The horn knows no mercy; only wrath

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Indalecia Salavachere
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Any updates?

3 foot tsunami is what I heard from the talk-box. Didn't hear anything about the tsunami from the aftershock, except that there was another tsunami warning announced

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

wtf @ your sig bech

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Mother fuckers need some earthquake insurance over there!

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by BWYuko View Post
    ...we should feel fortunate our own plate boundary...
    M7.0 and M5.9 off coasts of Mexico and Oregon within an hour of one another. Oh my gosh, guys, this is it. The 2012 apocalypse.

Edit: Here's the official USGS poster explaining how not-dangerous today's Sumatra quake was.

Banned.

BG Level

Oh shit I heard of the SE Asia & Mexico quake but not about the one in Oregon O.o

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

meh edited post

It was strike slip quake, therefore no major wave event.

Celeste

Thank goodness that they lucked out this time. Shit is devastating to hear, even if you're not directly affected.

So hard we fuck rocks
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

are you fucking retarded?

Tonko

Yeah. She pretty much is.

Celeste

What? It's good news, right? 15,000 to 200,000 people didn't die. I may have mispoken. Overreact more, k?