+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Pied Piper of the Homos
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Callisto View Post
    SHUT UP WE'RE TRYING TO BE OUTRAGED HERE
    Sheeple just doing what sheeple do without knowing what the fuck.

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

The groups pushing the treaty also want to empower copyright holders with the ability to demand that users who violate intellectual property rights (with no legal process) have their Internet connections terminated, a punishment that could only ever be properly enforced by the creation of an individual Internet ID card for every web user, a system that is already in the works.
    Is this what I think it is? A device for every internet user that logs, tracks and monitors your internet usage?

What's 'in the works' mean? Who's designing this?

Jet fuel can't melt steel beams
    Cannibalistic Humanoid Underground Dweller

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zoner Hellscythe
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by ronin sparthos View Post
    Is this what I think it is? A device for every internet user that logs, tracks and monitors your internet usage?

What's 'in the works' mean? Who's designing this?
    Uh that would be Obama again...

Obama Eyeing Internet ID for Americans

STANFORD, Calif.--President Obama is planning to hand the U.S. Commerce Department authority over a forthcoming cybersecurity effort to create an Internet ID for Americans, a White House official said here today.

It's "the absolute perfect spot in the U.S. government" to centralize efforts toward creating an "identity ecosystem" for the Internet, White House Cybersecurity Coordinator Howard Schmidt said.

That news, first reported by CNET, effectively pushes the department to the forefront of the issue, beating out other potential candidates, including the National Security Agency and the Department of Homeland Security. The move also is likely to please privacy and civil-liberties groups that have raised concerns in the past over the dual roles of police and intelligence agencies.

The announcement came at an event today at the Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research, where U.S. Commerce Secretary Gary Locke and Schmidt spoke.

The Obama administration is currently drafting what it's calling the National Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cyberspace, which Locke said will be released by the president in the next few months. (An early version was publicly released last summer.)

"We are not talking about a national ID card," Locke said at the Stanford event. "We are not talking about a government-controlled system. What we are talking about is enhancing online security and privacy, and reducing and perhaps even eliminating the need to memorize a dozen passwords, through creation and use of more trusted digital identities."

The Commerce Department will be setting up a national program office to work on this project, Locke said.

Details about the "trusted identity" project are remarkably scarce. Last year's announcement referenced a possible forthcoming smart card or digital certificate that would prove that online users are who they say they are. These digital IDs would be offered to consumers by online vendors for financial transactions.

Schmidt stressed today that anonymity and pseudonymity will remain possible on the Internet. "I don't have to get a credential, if I don't want to," he said. There's no chance that "a centralized database will emerge," and "we need the private sector to lead the implementation of this," he said.

Jim Dempsey of the Center for Democracy and Technology, who spoke later at the event, said any Internet ID must be created by the private sector--and also voluntary and competitive.

"The government cannot create that identity infrastructure," Dempsey said. "If it tried to, it wouldn't be trusted."

Inter-agency rivalries to claim authority over cybersecurity have existed ever since many responsibilities were centralized in the Department of Homeland Security as part of its creation nine years ago. Three years ago, proposals were circulating in Washington to transfer authority to the secretive NSA, which is part of the U.S. Defense Department.

In March 2009, Rod Beckström, director of Homeland Security's National Cybersecurity Center, resigned through a letter that gave a rare public glimpse into the competition for budgetary dollars and cybersecurity authority. Beckstrom said at the time that the NSA "effectively controls DHS cyberefforts through detailees, technology insertions," and has proposed moving some functions to the agency's Fort Meade, Md., headquarters.

One of the NSA's missions is, of course, information assurance. But its normally lustrous star in the political firmament has dimmed a bit due to Wikileaks-related revelations.

Bradley Manning, the U.S. Army private who is accused of liberating hundreds of thousands of confidential government documents from military networks and sending them to Wikileaks, apparently joked about the NSA's incompetence in an online chat last spring.

"I even asked the NSA guy if he could find any suspicious activity coming out of local networks," Manning reportedly said in a chat transcript provided by ex-hacker Adrian Lamo. "He shrugged and said, 'It's not a priority.'"
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501465_1...37-501465.html

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Someone banish this shit to the retard section.

Are we doomed to 10 years of every internet bill being WORSE THAN SOPA OMG?

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Zoner View Post
    http://boingboing.net/2010/11/10/act...orce-your.html

The way I see it ISPs will probably be overly proactive if this shit goes into effect to save their own asses
    Yes, I've seen a million articles like this, but none of them actually cite the part of ACTA that allegedly lets them do this. The most recent version floating around the internet insists that right-holders go through "civil judicial proceedings" before they can take any action. It also insists that right holders provide legally adequate evidence to a court (by the individual country's law standards) of infringement before any action can be taken, and that a country's individual laws of privacy be respected. Obviously other countries could pass legislation like the Patriot Act to work around that "problem", but that's up to the countries, and while they might decide to use ACTA as an excuse, they're full of shit if they do.

In fact, every single section of Article 27 ("Enforcement of Intellectual Property Rights in the Digital Environment") includes a copy and paste of this line: "These procedures shall be implemented in a manner that avoids the creation of barriers to legitimate activity, including electronic commerce, and, consistent with that Party's law, preserves fundamental principles such as freedom of expression, fair process, and privacy." The act defines a "pirated copyright good" as any good that would have constituted an infringement had it been distributed in the right-holder's nation. And every section that outlines actions to take in the event of alleged intellectual property right infringement yields to the laws of the nation the copyright holder comes from.

Quote Originally Posted by Milkster
    Sheeple just doing what sheeple do without knowing what the fuck.
    Have you actually read the treaty?

Brown Recluse

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Celeras View Post
    Someone banish this shit to the retard section.

Are we doomed to 10 years of every internet bill being WORSE THAN SOPA OMG?
    Its the new Superbug flu thread?

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Drex View Post
    Did the person who wrote this article actually read the treaty? It doesn't change legal oversight at all. It repeatedly says that right holders must go through their country's proper legal channels, or "civil judicial proceedings". It's just standardizing (to a degree) U.S. copyright proceedings, like a worldwide template to follow. To anyone living in the US, there's nothing new here. To anyone outside the US, you can look forward to copy-paste emails telling you that you've infringed on someone's copyright and to stop. You should probably just ignore them because they never do anything about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumblingdrunk View Post
    Isn't infowars.com Alex Jones' site?

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos
    WoW Realm
    Kargath

So, unless I am stupid and reading this wrong (which is quite possible), the law allows people with copyrights and trademarks to take down website that they state are infringing on their copyright/trademark without having to go through a long court battle. That doesn't seem bad at all. Whats the big deal?

THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shiroe Blackrose
    FFXIV Server
    Diabolos
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Ketsuri View Post
    So, unless I am stupid and reading this wrong (which is quite possible), the law allows people with copyrights and trademarks to take down website that they state are infringing on their copyright/trademark without having to go through a long court battle. That doesn't seem bad at all. Whats the big deal?
    You wouldn't be posting here for starters, you fucking retard.

I pullout to go pee.
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle
    WoW Realm
    Winterhoof

Why the fuck can't we just have our internet

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos
    WoW Realm
    Kargath

Quote Originally Posted by The Blackrose View Post
    You wouldn't be posting here for starters, you fucking retard.
    Well I am and the bill has already been passed, so whos the bitch now?

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Can I wear my tin foil hat now?

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Well I am and the bill has already been passed, so whos the bitch now?
    Still you

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

You're missing the part where they only have to say the site is infringing on their copyright, and the site goes down, no questions asked.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos
    WoW Realm
    Kargath

Quote Originally Posted by hey View Post
    You're missing the part where they only have to say the site is infringing on their copyright, and the site goes down, no questions asked.
    Kind of like filing a UDRP from ICANN?

http://www.icann.org/en/dndr/udrp/policy.htm

You just got served THE CALLISTO SPECIAL
    SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

Going to incorporate my self-owned business and list my base of operations in a foreign country, then claim I own a trademark on the name BlueGartr. I'll see your Roclcaust, and raise you total annihilation.

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Going to incorporate my self-owned business and list my base of operations in a foreign country, then claim I own a trademark on the name BlueGartr. I'll see your Roclcaust, and raise you total annihilation.
    Funny cause it'd be someone who hated BG that would pull off something like that to spite the website.

Better be careful on who you guys ban.

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Kind of like filing a UDRP from ICANN?
    No.

You just got served THE CALLISTO SPECIAL
    SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

That would raise my total bans to EVERYONE which would guarantee me status of The Best Mod In The Forever

THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shiroe Blackrose
    FFXIV Server
    Diabolos
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Screw that, I'm just going to start a company that operates on some form of photographic/pictoral content, upload a bunch of files to BG Bucket through a discrete, non-affiliated account, then have BG shut down because they're infringing on my work.

Or start posting RapidShare/MediaFire links again.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast