Thread: NIN tanking on Colibri     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Gurubashi

NIN tanking on Colibri

So I'm trying to figure out wtf is going on. This is my second time leveling NIN to 75, and first time leveling it through Aht Urhgan.

Levels 54-60 I did fine because I static'd those levels with a BRD, so I had no problems. Now Colibri in Bhaflau is where I'm having trouble (could be because I don't have a BRD, or the party set up is meh). Keeping hate isn't the problem, as I have adequate enmity+ and I don't seem to lose it that often. I've come to the conclusion that birds just aren't dying fast enough to support the wait time on my shadows, or somewhere along those lines.

Some fights everything's OK. Recent party I was in I died twice because I couldn't get shadows back up after consecutive pecking flurries. What I'm trying to figure out is if anyone's actually had this problem on birds while leveling NIN, or if I'm just a bad NIN? D:

This party I didn't have a BRD.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Mezmerize View Post
    This party I didn't have a BRD.
    {Problem}{Found it!}

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Was your mage slowing and hasting?

Banned.

BG Level

Drop the enmity gear, use full dd gear, and stop trying so hard to hold hate, and instead let it bounce around a bit (seigan is there for a reason), and kill faster.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Gurubashi

Quote Originally Posted by stewie View Post
    Was your mage slowing and hasting?
    Slowing no.

Also, party set up was RDM WHM NIN THF DRG WAR. RDM never enfeebled.

Black Guy from Predator.
    Uppity Negro
    Secret Admin

The Immortal Bill Duke

BG Level

I'd honestly just suggest you let the DD do their thing and pull hate. Gives you time to toss up shadows. I don't like ninja tanking my birds anyhow, that just means more downtime while we wait for raise and weakness.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Slowing no.

RDM should be able to slow np, I do at least. It's not that hard to keep everyone hasted so slow has no effect.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Gurubashi

Quote Originally Posted by Abandon View Post
    I'd honestly just suggest you let the DD do their thing and pull hate. Gives you time to toss up shadows. I don't like ninja tanking my birds anyhow, that just means more downtime while we wait for raise and weakness.
    I agree. Had a THF in the party, so hate only left me every other Penta Thrust thrown in by the DRG.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Slowing no.

no enfeebs on birds = you go down fast... seriously. slow + para help alot

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Open your fight with Hojo, you'll thank yourself for the one shadow loss.

Edit: Also as soon as you see "Colibri readies Pecking Flurry." if your Ni recast isn't up, you can start casting Ichi right as you see that message. With or without slow you will get your shadows up without being interrupted.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Level 60 is kinda low for regular birds imo (level 71-73 mobs), without BRD is even worse. Go full DD, spam crab sushi as 2-handers have 25% acc/att bonus over you from stats alone (and piercing bonuse).
    Without BRD it might be better Aydeewa till 62, then birds will be much easier.

If the RDM ain't debuffing you can always do it (and building hate in the process), cast Jubaku during pull, as you said is the second time you levelling it, you know the drill :D

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Gurubashi

Quote Originally Posted by hypnotizd View Post
    Open your fight with Hojo, you'll thank yourself for the one shadow loss.

Edit: Also as soon as you see "Colibri readies Pecking Flurry." if your Ni recast isn't up, you can start casting Ichi right as you see that message. With or without slow you will get your shadows up without being interrupted.
    Quote Originally Posted by arshesney
    Level 60 is kinda low for regular birds imo (level 71-73 mobs), without BRD is even worse. Go full DD, spam crab sushi as 2-handers have 25% acc/att bonus over you from stats alone (and piercing bonuse).
    Without BRD it might be better Aydeewa till 62, then birds will be much easier.

If the RDM ain't debuffing you can always do it (and building hate in the process), cast Jubaku during pull, as you said is the second time you levelling it, you know the drill :D
    I always start casting Hojo as the mob is coming into camp from pull. I follow by an immediate provoke and start casting Kura, and Jubaku when and if my shadows allow me. Problem is, even with capped Ninjutsu, I get resisted... a lot. I macro in Ninja Hatsuburi for the +5 to ninjutsu boost, and I still get resisted.

EDIT: Also I do go full DD. I macro in +enmity for Provoke, and sometimes full-time enmity gear if I'm having problems keeping hate, which was not the case in this party.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Melody Earrings + BRD = afk tank

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

EDIT:sometimes full-time enmity gear if I'm having problems keeping hate, which was not the case in this party.[/QUOTE]

Never full-time your enmity, all that's doing is making you hit like an inaccurate little girl waving a baton around. Cutting things the deepest is the best way to keep hate in exp.

To answer your problem with middle colibri though; You're over-camping hard, go to puks, or level sync down until 63-64ish and then go back. 60 is way too low to fight 70+ mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mansin View Post
    Melody Earrings + BRD = afk tank since you won't have hate anyway
    ?

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

ok was longtime ago I did nin/played FF, so I cant remember if ALL colibri cast reflect. If they do, what I used to do (for standstill pts) is I would wait to completely lose shadows, then cast an elemental spell (low tier one). Colibri take a bit to cast it back on you (usually for very little dmg), and that usually gave me enough time for ni to be back up n' casted. Try it out, I wasn't a super buffed nin when lvling so if I could do it, you can too!

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Thorny View Post
    ?
    I didn't have too much trouble holding hate on NIN in that level range unless I was with a RNG or SAM, in which case the mob was dead or back on me before they took too much damage. It is a shitty level range, but if you actually wear gear that doesn't suck and spam cheap sushi you can hold hate decently.

Quote Originally Posted by Mansin View Post
    I didn't have too much trouble holding hate on NIN in that level range unless I was with a RNG or SAM, in which case the mob was dead or back on me before they took too much damage. It is a shitty level range, but if you actually wear gear that doesn't suck and spam cheap sushi you can hold hate decently.
    If you're using a hauby, your earrings aren't doing shit for hate OR evasion. If you're not using a hauby, you should be. Kind of useless.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

brd and thf sorta scream for attention when actually attempting to tank on ninja.

when I did it I stacked as much evasion gear as I could in the levels and when I got to Melody +1's it just became a paradise.

Fuma Kyahan, Swift Belt, and if your really anal about taking down recast timers a Blitz Ring will greatly increase your performance in casting the spells.

you end up killing yourself slowly doing it tho, but the bird is more focused on shooting back your ninjutsu then spamming pecking fury at you, which I found quiet useful.

also, if you've got another job to 75, take a break from ninja and focus on getting evasion merits, oh my god did that help out a ton, take them off when your done with ninja or keep them on for further use, either way its just amazing to have.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

NIN can't use Blitz Ring.

I've seen a lot of NINs get their asses handed to them by trying to DD tank in shitty parties. With a bad to mediocre party, you are indeed much better off putting on some evasion gear.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast