Closed Thread
    A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Prickly sensation on skin particularly when trying to sleep

Past two nights I have been lacking sleep due to this prickly feeling like someone is poking me with a pine needle all over my body (arms, legs, back, face) every several seconds. I have pretty much ruled out bed bugs because there were no red blotches or markings of any kind on my body (I'm fairly pale so it would be easy to spot) or any type of bug.

I've also noticed, while this has been more prevalent while trying to sleep at night, it seems to be occurring during the early morning hours when I wake up and the evening time but not as the same degree (possibly because being more sensitive when half asleep I dunno). There are no markings even during those times.

Just in case I went ahead and got a spray designed for mattresses to target bedbugs and dust mites.

The research online I did only really gave me "dust mites" or "dry skin". I guess I'll try some lotion as well. Plan on sleeping in a different bed tonight to see if this happens again.

Any other suggestions?

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Or it could possibly be an allergic reaction to one or more of the materials the bed is made of or possibly the bedding.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Sleep on your couch and see if it still happens, should rule out any external source.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Jojothemidget View Post
    Or it could possibly be an allergic reaction to one or more of the materials the bed is made of or possibly the bedding.
    I had this bed for many years but I guess it wouldn't be the strangest thing in the world to suddenly get some allergy, though I would've expected some kind of rash-like appearance. It doesn't really explain why this sensation was happening in the evening also before I got home.

Quote Originally Posted by Man0warr View Post
    Sleep on your couch and see if it still happens, should rule out any external source.
    Will end up doing this most likely.

Demosthenes11

lawyer up, hit the gym, delete your facebook

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Do you have sensitive skin or dermographism?

I take generic Zyrtec daily for dermographism and if I miss a day I get a very similar sensation to what you're describing.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Renzokuken View Post
    Do you have sensitive skin or dermographism?

I take generic Zyrtec daily for dermographism and if I miss a day I get a very similar sensation to what you're describing.
    Nope, I do take allergy medicine in the morning though.

E. Body
    BG Level

Have you changed your detergent at all lately? Whatever you use to wash your sheets?

doesn't poor circulation also cause tingling sensations? if so, it might be more prominent when you're going to bed since your body's starting to relax.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Might be your bed is too soft for you, which can cause your limbs to fall asleep or do weird things. Idk why face though. I personally have not known the prickly sensation you're describing to come from anything other than loss of circulation in my limbs.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Caffeine mixed with allergy medicine does that if you drink red bulls or something like that at any point in the day. If you take diphenhydramine as an antihistamine and drink caffeine within 24 hours it does the same thing. As long as you arent getting lightheaded or dizzy, you should be fine.

Anxiety could be a possibility. There a lot of stress in your life right now? I mention this because anxiety generally manifests more at nivht when you're alone with your thoughts. A rash or irritation would persist more during the day.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Slept downstairs two nights, no issue.
    Slept upstairs the following night after everything was cleaned and sprayed, no issue.

Can't say for certain what may have been the cause. Previous to sleeping downstairs the first night I was having the sensation that evening which subsided before sleeping. The only noticeable change was me remembering I hadn't had my vitamin D supplement (4000 ui) for some days until then but doubtful its related.

Most of my anxiety came from during the earlier summer time but it had decreased significantly in early august.

The sensation still exists but the time between the prickling is much much longer that it seems to not bother me or noticeable (seems to be more toward when its hotter where I am). Hoping it continues to be rare or just disappear entirely.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

How does the prickly/itchiness seem to be induced? Is it caused by external shifts in temperature? What about internal shifts in temperature? Does anything seem to stop the prickly sensation? Does chugging cold water do anything? How about standing in front of a fan? How about getting in a body of cold water? In general, do you sweat very much? Do you notice the pricklies start happening when you have the urge to pee?

Have you tried not itching? If no, try not itching and see what happens. It'll get damn near unbearable (likely at least), but if the reaction is that your skin begins to form little raised bumps in clusters, then they turn red, then they subside once you cool down (water or fan or both or other), and then the redness and bumps goes away, then you may have what I had.

If this sounds like you, basically people don't really know what it is on the internet. They've gone to the doctor and they've been baffled and the blood tests were normal, etc etc. However, what worked for me actually turned out to be rather simple: Drink shit tons of Gatorade and an equal shit ton of water. Vague measurements, I know, but that's the conceptual observation.

Experiments:
    Case #1 - Just Gatorade: Prickly scalp, torso, back, neck (looked like Tyrone Biggums), and forearms that occurred a little AFTER I felt the urge to pee
    Case #2 - Just Water: Prickly scalp, torso, back, neck, and forearms that occurred slightly BEFORE or SIMULTANEOUSLY with the urge to pee
    Case #3 - Gatorade and Water: Slight tingle when hot, then broke into sweat on nose and back and forehead. No itchiness despite having slight tingle and feeling as if it was going to start up.

So it SEEMS to be a deficiency in whatever is in gatorade (I assume it's likely the electrolytes) and water, and that large amounts of both are necessary to fix w/e is going on. So I guess yet another question for you to ponder on is: How are your hydration habits =O? Have thy lips been more chapped? Got ashy ankles? Parched mouth?

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Proudmoore

Assuming that you are below 40-50...

1% Kidney Problems ('sides, if it reached to that point it'd probably cause other symptoms as well)
    20% external irritant
    79% dry skin

I bet it was originally caused by dry skin and magnified by anxiety further on. Shower with warm (not hot) water, once a day max and use lotion.

More importantly, understand that it is probably nothing serious at all and eliiminate the anxiety stuff.

Had the same problem and effectively got rid of it the moment I stopped worrying about it after the regular "shower once a day max. with warm water" treatment. Other than kidney/liver problems (which would certainly cause much more severe additional symptoms), nothing serious would cause prickly feeling.

Banned.

BG Level

Hi Mean,
    Really hope you're doing well. I realize this a long time after you posted this. But how have you been feeling since you had this? Did the sensation clear up on its own? Thanks very much!

User was infracted for this post.

If I screw up again Im gone forever.
    Secret Admin

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

^lol

But before the lock, over a year ago and not a single "skin cancer" post?

Brown Recluse
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Its probably Gout or diabetes

sounds like diabetes