+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Strange network problem     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Strange network problem

So, I'm having some extremely strange network problems. On my new computer, I got a WUSB54GC network adapter and downloaded the Vista 7 64 drivers for it. Everything worked fine, until nighttime. Soon as the rest of the house went to bed, I get download speeds of 80-800 byte/s, which I find quite strange as this is the time everyone is asleep, and logically should be the time I get the highest speeds.

Now, it has nothing with the Internet connection to do, as this computer get the normal speed of 10 Mbit/s. Thing is, my other computer also has a packet loss rate of about 75-100% (depending on the speed - occasionally I still have Internet access, but download speeds of 0 byte/s and a packet loss rate of 100% when I attempt to ping the router).

Does anyone have ANY clue as to what's going on, because I'm quite clueless. I've had my network set up for several years, so I highly doubt its my router settings spooking. And as it works fine during daytime, that just makes the whole thing even stranger. Occasionally it goes back to its normal download speed, but I'm still unable to play any games, as I keep disconnecting.

I've scanned my computer several times for viruses or spyware and I can't find any, either.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

if your getting packet loss between you and the router its more than likely the router the other computer is it wired or wireless? if it is also wireless you might be losing signal to it check channel/users/mac addresses of users to make sure than your not getting bleed over from somebody else's network since it is only at night seems kind of strange but more than likely either coincidence and the router is starting to fail all together or its sombody outside your network causing some sort of interferance

if your other computer is hardwired and your still getting packet loss like that theres no question the router is failing replace/update firmware/talk to manufacturer

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Both of my computers are connected to it wireless, and both are in the same room, so I find it strange one would have the problem and the other wouldn't?

Both have the same signal strange of 4/5 bars, too.