+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Obama's all about gettin that billion dollah hustle son. He's making homies with every major industry/corporation out there. How the hell won't he get re-elected? lol

China starting to flex that muscle though, that should be the most alarming part of this story. They've been positioning themselves on the low for years, now we see how much influence they've acquired.

#Despair
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mitsukai Shimakaze
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Qalbert View Post
    mayans were right
    no fucking kidding

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Dimmauk View Post
    He mentioned this is his State of the Union speech. My wife turned to me during the Speech and asked if any other Politicians would have not signed it. Sadly, I dont think there are any.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentleroy View Post
    This needs to be quoted for everyone cursing the people that voted in obama. If you think any of the other candidates wouldn't have signed it... I doubt it.
    www.ronpaul.com. Let me introduce you to someone you may not have heard of.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

So this was signed months ago and hasn't been used once?

also lol@all the people saying "should've voted McCain in" as if one bought-and-paid-for politician would've acted differently than another.

If I screw up again Im gone forever.
    Secret Admin

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Synbios View Post
    Now I'm not saying he has bad ideas or isn't actually level headed, but so was Obama when he came into his presidency. There's lots of things not within your control once you gain presidency.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Now I'm not saying he has bad ideas or isn't actually level headed, but so was Obama when he came into his presidency. There's lots of things not within your control once you gain presidency.
    You know one thing that is within your control when you become president, signing the dotted line.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Difference being that Ron Paul is a 'fuck the system' guy with decades of experience showing he is. Obama was a smooth talking young guy.

BG Level

Can we stop creating this fiction that Obama ran on a platform of internet freedom?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Signing any sort of internet treaty that gives China any say in what goes on over here was/is one of those things within his control, and he didn't do it right.

BG Level

Basically, wake me up when China starts shutting ISPs down.

Brown Recluse
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Synbios View Post

Pied Piper of the Homos
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

There is a petition you can sign before it reaches the senate. If you'd like to do something, instead of just complaining about how bad government is or which candidate would be better.

Pied Piper of the Homos
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Rip. Mix. Make.

Under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, video artists who break the encryption on a DVD or sample online streaming videos could face legal threats - even if the video they create is considered fair use. We think that's nuts.
    Kirby Ferguson, creator of Everything is a Remix, is standing with the Electronic Frontier Foundation in fighting for the right to create remix videos. Please sign Kirby's letter below and stand up for the rights of video artists.

Take action

Jailbreaking is Not a Crime

You bought it. You own it. Tell the Copyright Office: let me install whatever software I want on my phone, tablet, or video game system.
    bunnie Huang, author of Hacking the Xbox, is standing with the Electronic Frontier Foundation to defend users' right to jailbreak. Will you sign on to bunnie's letter to show the Copyright Office that users everywhere are demanding the right to jailbreak?

Take action

Don't Let Congress Order Internet Companies to Spy on You — Block the Data Retention Mandate

The U.S. House of Representatives is currently considering H.R. 1981, a bill that would order all of our online service providers to keep new logs about our online activities to help the government identify the web sites we visit and the content we post online. Tell your Representative to oppose this sweeping new "mandatory data retention" proposal, which treats every Internet user like a potential criminal.

Send email to your representative

Stop the Internet Blacklist Legislation

The Internet Blacklist Legislation– known as PROTECT IP Act in the Senate and Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) in the House - is a threatening sequel to last year's COICA Internet censorship bill. Like its predecessor, this legislation invites Internet security risks, threatens online speech, and hampers Internet innovation. Urge your members of Congress to reject this Internet blacklist campaign in both its forms!

Send email

DHS, come clean! What are you doing with my laptop?

Call on the Department of Homeland Security to Publish Clear Guidelines for What They Do with Sensitive Traveler Information Collected in Digital Searches
    Our lives are on our laptops - family photos, medical documents, banking info, details about what websites we visit, and so much more. But when it comes to searching travelers entering the U.S., border agents can take a laptop or smart phone, search through all the files, and keep it for further scrutiny - without any suspicion of wrongdoing whatsoever.

send email

Oppose Congress' Criminal Streaming Bill

S. 978 is a reckless attempt to attack online streaming by focusing on the "unlawful public performance" area of copyright law. By increasing the criminal penalties for certain online public performances, the bill will impose a chilling effect around the posting and creation of online video. Moreover, it will hamper the pace of innovation as users, websites, and investors cope with the uncertainty of running afoul of one of the more vague sections of copyright law. Act now and tell your Senators to oppose this shortsighted bill!

Act now!

Don't Let Privacy Law Get Stuck in 1986: Demand a Digital Upgrade to the Electronic Communications Privacy Act

If the government wants to track our cell phones, or see what web sites we’ve visited, or rummage through our Gmail, or read our private messages on Facebook, it should be required to go to a judge and get a search warrant based on probable cause.

Demand a privacy upgrade!

Tell Cisco: Stop helping China abuse human rights!

Chinese dissident writer Du Daobin is facing the possibility of imprisonment and torture. Urge Cisco Systems to intervene on Mr. Du's behalf and to stop helping China abuse human rights.

Sign our petition now!

Don't Let TPP Become the Next ACTA: Contact Your Lawmakers and Demand Transparency!

The Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement is a trade agreement currently being negotiated by the United States and eight other countries. Like ACTA, the TPP is being negotiated in secret, and on a fast timetable. We don’t know what’s in the TPP IP chapter, and that’s what worries us. Entertainment industry executives who are members of the Industry Trade Advisory Committee will likely get to see the agreement drafts – again – but the rest of us will be kept in the dark unless we speak up now.

Send email

When the Government Comes Knocking, Who Has Your Back?

Users shouldn't be left in the dark. They have a right to know when the government is seeking their data and deserve a chance to stand up for themselves. But they can't do it unless companies are willing to make a commitment take a stand with them. As stewards of our digital lives, companies need to promise to be transparent and help users fight for stronger, clearer protections and standards in the law.

Take action

I love how people get so up in arms about these things but don't know what bills are going around in the government before the media makes it a thing. Ironic.

Jet fuel can't melt steel beams
    Cannibalistic Humanoid Underground Dweller

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zoner Hellscythe
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Milkster View Post
    There is a petition you can sign before it reaches the senate. If you'd like to do something, instead of just complaining about how bad government is or which candidate would be better.
    link? edit- i fail at reading the post above

Pied Piper of the Homos
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Zoner View Post
    link?
    Post right before yours or in the SOPA/ACT/OPEN thread in the Political subforum.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Milkster View Post
    This thread was already made.
    Yea but it was in politics subforum so it was ignored.

Pied Piper of the Homos
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

By the way ACTA isn't only for the internet. It bans generic drugs and also food that may have been trademarked from being produced.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Did the person who wrote this article actually read the treaty? It doesn't change legal oversight at all. It repeatedly says that right holders must go through their country's proper legal channels, or "civil judicial proceedings". It's just standardizing (to a degree) U.S. copyright proceedings, like a worldwide template to follow. To anyone living in the US, there's nothing new here. To anyone outside the US, you can look forward to copy-paste emails telling you that you've infringed on someone's copyright and to stop. You should probably just ignore them because they never do anything about it.

And LOL at associating this treaty with ebul China. They weren't even involved in its drafting, and are one of the main countries (along with India and Brazil) opposing ACTA. If anything, it's a power play by the already developed nations (U.S., Europe) to keep an advantage over developing nations who keep stealing their shit.

You just got served THE CALLISTO SPECIAL
    SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Drex View Post
    Did the person who wrote this article actually read the treaty? It doesn't change legal oversight at all. It repeatedly says that right holders must go through their country's proper legal channels, or "civil judicial proceedings". It's just standardizing (to a degree) U.S. copyright proceedings, like a worldwide template to follow. To anyone living in the US, there's nothing new here. To anyone outside the US, you can look forward to copy-paste emails telling you that you've infringed on someone's copyright and to stop. You should probably just ignore them because they never do anything about it.

And LOL at associating this treaty with ebul China. They weren't even involved in its drafting, and are one of the main countries (along with India and Brazil) opposing ACTA. If anything, it's a power play by the already developed nations (U.S., Europe) to keep an advantage over developing nations who keep stealing their shit.
    SHUT UP WE'RE TRYING TO BE OUTRAGED HERE

Jet fuel can't melt steel beams
    Cannibalistic Humanoid Underground Dweller

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zoner Hellscythe
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Drex View Post

ACTA will force your ISP to censor your work if someone lodges an unsupported trademark claim
    By Cory Doctorow at 11:01 pm Wednesday, Nov 10
    New revelations on ACTA, the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA), a secretive global copyright being privately negotiated by rich countries away from the UN: ACTA will require ISPs to police trademarks the way they currently police copyright. That means that if someone accuses you of violating a trademark with a web-page, blog-post, video, tweet, etc, your ISP will be required to nuke your material without any further proof, or be found to be responsible for any trademark violations along with you. And of course, trademark violations are much harder to verify than copyright violations, since they often hinge on complex, fact-intensive components like tarnishment, dilution and genericization. Meaning that ISPs are that much more likely to simply take all complaints at face-value, leading to even more easy censorship of the Internet with nothing more than a trumped-up trademark claim.

At first glance, the leak suggests intermediaries such as ISPs and search engine portals may now be liable for trademark infringements by their account holders - unless there are clear exceptions such as the Safe Harbour provisions available under the Copyright Act regulations.

Professor Anna George, adjunct professor at Murdoch University and former DFAT negotiator on WTO TRIPS and the digital economy chapters of the US-Australia Free Trade Agreement, believed such a change would potentially be bad news for Australia's trade relations.
    http://boingboing.net/2010/11/10/act...orce-your.html

The way I see it ISPs will probably be overly proactive if this shit goes into effect to save their own asses