1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 1 hours, 57 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 22 hours, 2 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 18 hours, 57 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 15 hours, 2 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Job System (03/04/2012)     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharlan Lynare
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

Job System (03/04/2012)

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/293
    http://static.finalfantasyxiv.com/to...a7afaef7ab28a5

* The following changes are scheduled for the 1.21 patch release.
    * Features are under development and subject to change or postponement to a later patch.

• Patch 1.21 will include a new job system.

• Purpose of the job system

In FINAL FANTASY XIV, the core of the growth system is the Armoury system. It is a broad ranging "horizontal" system in which players develop other classes and thereby strengthen and grow their main class.

In contrast, the new job system is a character growth system that will narrow the focus on growing and strengthening the main character class. The system starts at level 30, and features a sequence of special quests available at certain levels that unlock systems, abilities, and job-specific equipment. The series of job quests will not involve extremely difficult tasks such as fighting primals. Rather, they will be new game elements intended to boost character growth and motivate players.

• Acquiring a job

Patch 1.21 will include seven jobs with their own dedicated quests.

To take on the special quests, player characters must have reached level 30 in their main class (and level 15 for one other specified class). Class and level requirements for each series of job quests are shown in the table below:

Available Class-specific Actions

* These conditions are in place to ensure that players seeking to master these new jobs have fully experienced the Armoury system—the core of character growth in FINAL FANTASY XIV.

• How to switch between class and job

When you complete a certain quest, you will receive a "soul crystal." Select Gear from the main menu to equip the soul crystal to the specific job slot. Once you have equipped the soul crystal, you will switch to that job.
    http://static.finalfantasyxiv.com/to.../08/3443_1.jpg

* Soul crystals are classified as key items. They can be equipped on the Gear menu, but they do not count against your inventory limits.
    * You can also change jobs with text commands.

• Learning job-specific actions

With Patch 1.21, five job-specific actions will be added for each job, which are unlocked as the character completes the aforementioned quests. The first job-specific action is learned when the character acquires the corresponding soul crystal. Job-specific actions can only be used with the associated job.
    * Job-specific actions that have already been learned are automatically equipped when the player switches to that job.

• What happens after a job change?

1. Job-specific actions
    Players will be able to use job-specific actions.

2. Using other class-specific actions (by class)
    When switched to a job, characters can still use the actions they learned for the base class. For example, when playing a paladin, gladiator actions will be automatically equipped and available for use.

For other class-specific actions, only actions from certain classes can be equipped by certain jobs, as per the table below:

3. Using other class-specific actions (number)
    When characters switch to a job, they can only equip half (rounded down) of the other class-specific actions. For example, a level 35 gladiator can normally equip seven class-specific actions from other classes, but a level 35 paladin can only equip three.

4. Changes to base parameters
    When the player changes jobs, base parameters change automatically.
    * Attribute points that have been allotted for the main class are carried over to the job without change.

5. Different rules for equipped gear
    When switched to a job, characters can equip job-specific gear. Existing gear that can be equipped by the base class can also be equipped when switched to the associated job.
    * Class-specific gear, which is also scheduled to be introduced in the future, cannot be equipped by job-switched characters.

6. Changes to the automatic save slot for actions
    With the implementation of the new job system, the automatic save slots for actions, which were introduced for each class in patch 1.20, will be expanded with seven job-specific slots.

• Things that will not change when switching jobs

Levels and experience points will not change from the base class.

For example, if a gladiator (level 40, 1000 EXP) switches to the paladin job, level and experience points will not change. Experience points acquired as a paladin will be kept when the character switches back to the gladiator class.

They keep using the term "class-specific" when referring to abilities that can be used across classes and I find it quite confusing.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syaoran Li
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

The class level requirements and class specific actions for jobs seem quite weird to me. I haven't played in a while though and may be missing something.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Scythiroth View Post
    The class level requirements and class specific actions for jobs seem quite weird to me. I haven't played in a while though and may be missing something.
    You're not. They generally seems a little off, but there's no point in trying to wonder about it >.<;

Also:

* Class-specific gear, which is also scheduled to be introduced in the future, cannot be equipped by job-switched characters.
    Am I just being paranoid or are they trying to say we won't get AF in this patch?

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

That puts me at guard as well. Will.be.sads.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharlan Lynare
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

Quote Originally Posted by Gokulo View Post
    Am I just being paranoid or are they trying to say we won't get AF in this patch?
    They're saying there will be class AF (for conjurer, gladiator, thaumaturge, etc), which won't be usable while you're on the respective job (white mage, paladin, black mage, etc).

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Derp...

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Oh lol. Derp indeed.

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

Eh, not a lot of new info. Was hoping they'd give a more detailed overview of each job.

One thing's for sure, they better be planning additional storage and/or ra/ex ticket storage of some kind.

Assuming 5 pieces of AF + 1 weapon for each job (which won't replace existing gear because it can't be worn on classes) my inventory is going to be officially fucked.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shanoa Varhara
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Corrderio View Post
    Eh, not a lot of new info. Was hoping they'd give a more detailed overview of each job.
    What more could they say? We already know the abilities we're getting (cept for final names) and now we know cross class restrictions.

Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Claire Farron
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Niiro View Post
    One thing's for sure, they better be planning additional storage and/or ra/ex ticket storage of some kind.

Assuming 5 pieces of AF + 1 weapon for each job (which won't replace existing gear because it can't be worn on classes) my inventory is going to be officially fucked.
    Mannequin system is going to help with that, you'll be able to put gear into gearsets that you'll be able to swap on the fly and once you set a piece of gear to a mannequin it will no longer count against your inventory. This was in the 2.0 docs that were released in Oct. and were elaborated on in many interviews. That is why they are considering dropping the personal inventory limit back down to 100 after they implement it.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharlan Lynare
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

Quote Originally Posted by Burningthought View Post
    once you set a piece of gear to a mannequin it will no longer count against your inventory.
    Wrong, according to our German pals

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, I know the 2.0 document says otherwise. Just poking fun at the inconsistency.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Hope they have gearsets for jobs and classes as separate "gearsets"...Otherwise you'd be carrying either a job or a class's equipment on you on your inventory.

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Lokus View Post
    What more could they say? We already know the abilities we're getting (cept for final names) and now we know cross class restrictions.
    I was kind of hoping jobs would make each class more unique. Since right now all melee feel pretty much the same - Auto Attack for TP, WS, Combo, rinse and repeat.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

So for that part

Using other class-specific actions (by class)

When switched to a job, characters can still use the actions they learned for the base class. For example, when playing a paladin, gladiator actions will be automatically equipped and available for use.

For other class-specific actions, only actions from certain classes can be equipped by certain jobs, as per the table below:

Available Class-specific Actions
    Job Class
    Paladin Marauder/Conjurer
    Monk Lancer/Archer
    Warrior Gladiator/Pugilist
    Dragoon Pugilist/Archer
    Bard Conjurer/Thaumaturge
    White Mage Gladiator/Pugilist
    Black Mage Pugilist/Archer

I wonder if they mean like

PLD will get GLA skills and they can equip 100% MRD + CNJ skills if they want too
    and that MNK can't use CNJ skills like cure

Or something else also a bit confused on that

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Yeah, exactly like that.

Kaeko
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I read it as you can use 5 skills from the MAR or CNJ class that aren't class specific if you're on PLD. The idea that you could use any skill, even class-unique one's just doesn't make that much sense me. That would imply that a PLD could use stuff like Maim and Berserk.

WHM and BLM class relationships continue to make no sense...

PUP Power!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Hmm I was right in the thinking you can only equip the abilities of the jobs used to unlock the class but the additional class each job can get are...random. What abilities does ARC offer a BLM? Decoy?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast