Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
    Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Windows XP Support Information

We regret to inform you that Final Fantasy XI / PlayOnline will no longer support Windows XP in accordance with the following schedule.

Due to the fact that Microsoft(R) has already completed the support life cycle of this product, we have found that continuing support for this OS is a difficult proposition.

At the time support for this product ceases, the software you are currently using will continue to function and games will still be playable. We will also continue to perform regular updates of existing software. However, after the date when we discontinue support, we will as a general rule no longer be able to provide support for problems arising as a result of the operating system.

Furthermore, customer support for members utilizing this operating system will still be available through the Square Enix Support Center.

[Support End Date]
    March 26th, 2013

[Affected Operating Systems]
    Windows XP

Square Enix Support Center
    http://support.na.square-enix.com/

Trigun

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Trigun View Post
    LMFAO Oh Conan!! If it wasn't for your post I would have never known he actually said this.

I can understand SE's part but this makes me wanna scream "Why XP but no PS2? ARGHHHHHHH"

The Syrup To Waffles's Waffle
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cair Bear
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Should have been PS2.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

What game was conan reviewing for that lol?

The Syrup To Waffles's Waffle
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cair Bear
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Tomb Raider out next month I think?

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Cairthenn View Post
    Tomb Raider out next month I think?
    holy lol. Yep.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Kalila View Post
    We regret to inform you that Final Fantasy XI / PlayOnline will no longer support Windows XP in accordance with the following schedule.

Due to the fact that Microsoft(R) has already completed the support life cycle of this product, we have found that continuing support for this OS is a difficult proposition.
    Though this may seem arbitrary, it's standard practice. XP is three iterations behind the newest version of Windows (there being Vista, 7, and now 8), and usually, companies only officially support the three most recent versions of an operating system.

Their mentioning the life cycle is a key point. XP hasn't been on the table as a serious pre-installed option for over two years now, and its support officially concluded (although extended [read: reduced] support is ongoing until 2014). Older SPs aren't supported at all anymore—not even in an extended sense.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ucts/lifecycle

Consider as well that Windows 7, when compared to previous OS releases, was remarkably popular—even garnering better out-the-door sales than XP did upon its release. This was also known in 2011, and is standard knowledge in 2013.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...d-350m-context

Though XP still has a reasonable foothold, it isn't substantial enough to warrant specifically dedicated support. Any other company that hasn't done this already will soon enough.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Someone bored enough to VM Win98 and see if FFXI still works with it?

Anyhow, I expect FFXI to still work on XP in the following years given they never do jack shit with the POL/XI clients anyhow as far as Windows-related shit goes.

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I was expecting something like this when I saw that xp wasn't mentioned with the new expansion. (Which is why I called and asked) Also why i'm working on a upgrade tho that's proly 2-3 months down the pike for me. (fig if I need to do the op system, might as well go whole hog and replace the system too, since if 1 more thing breaks on this thing..Just ONE more thing..I'm up a creek.) Time to rep the computer.

The rep I got when I called support said it'd still work on XP, just they're not supporting it anymore.

Fucking LOL'd @ roughly 6:15 of the Conan vid.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

That conan review was awesome. I feel like trying Tomb Raider out after seeing it. I was pretty happy with Deus Ex Human Revolution. Seems like this Tomb Raider reboot will be good too.

About Windows XP.. I took from it that SE will no longer do anything to fix any issues that may arise in the future but FFXI will still work on Windows XP until some future update breaks it for good.

Who's driving? Oh my God Bear is driving! How can that be??
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Treize Kordero View Post
    About Windows XP.. I took from it that SE will no longer do anything to fix any issues that may arise in the future but FFXI will still work on Windows XP until some future update breaks it for good.
    Yeah, it's pretty much a standard practice when something is end of life, any bugs that are found will not be addressed or fixed. The company I work for does the same thing with routers/firewalls....once it's EOL there are no more firmware updates to fix any bugs that are found.

Fishing Guru
    BG Level

2 out of the 3 PCs I have ffxi running on have XP, hopefully it doesn't become in-operational too soon.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Windows support for xp ended in March or April 2014. I doubt it becomes an issue for quite a while.

TIME OUT MOTHERFUCKER

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Hey Square Enix.

Fuck you, fuck all of your shit, and I hope you die in a god damn fire.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Kujata

can someone make a .jpg of "XP Limitations"?

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by cdgreg View Post
    2 out of the 3 PCs I have ffxi running on have XP, hopefully it doesn't become in-operational too soon.
    Just think of what you could do if you joined the rest of us... in the future!

If you have some other reason for delaying your upgrades—besides being intimidated by the majesty of Windows 7—consider installing slim/tiny versions of 7. They're not legitimate ISOs produced by Microsoft, but if you're concerned with having legitimate licenses, buy them, and then use the slim installations.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Windows 7 is pretty awesome. I loved xp, hated vista but learned to work with it, and think windows 7 is the best they have ever made.