+ Reply to Thread
    Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Turtle Beach, DSS , Surround sound

I just purchased a pair of Turtle Beach x12s. I am used to gaming on surround sound from a Home theater system where I could easily tell front and back sounds.

Right now my headset is coming from my analog L/R outputs on my TV. Will I need to purchase the DSS unit to get surround sound or is it possible to come from my home theater system to get 5.1?

Does anyone have feedback on the DSS unit that should give it 5.1/7.1? How much of an improvement is it coming from an xbox?

Spiders are Awesome
    BG Level

Do you realize what the numbers in 5.1/7.1 actually mean?

Not familiar with the product, but audio equipment with the word "gaming" anywhere in the title is generally complete shit, and headsets are generally inferior to headphones + mic at the same price, so it isn't looking good.

I use the DSS on my 360 with Sennheiser headphones and its a noticeable difference with and without it. The DSS is just a sound processor and does simulated 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound. For the 360 it will only do 5.1 and you have to go into your dashboard and change it to the 5.1, you also have to use the optical digital input to achieve the 5.1 through the device. As good as simulated can get it works great and I really like it and being its simulated surround , any headphones will work. I highly recommend this for any first person shooter games you may play.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Yea I understand what 5.1 and 7.1 mean. I've been playing on 5.1 for a while and now I get a bit confused sometimes without the 5.1 . I'll be looking around wildly for the foot steps and someone will come up right in front of me.

Spiders are Awesome
    BG Level

My point is the hilarity of marketing surround emulation by the odd number of virtual speakers, and not just rounding up. Probably the same reason they undersell monitors bigger than "full HD". Gotta market to the lowest common...

If you want good surround emulation, you need a good discreet sound card and good stereo headphones, not prepackaged USB "gamR" crap.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Do you mean a sound card for my TV/Xbox? I believe that is the void the Turtle Beach DSS is suppose to fill. http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/...force-dss.aspx
    It's way overpriced imo, its not worth$100 to have surround sound emulation unless its much better than what I expect it to be. I guess that's what I was asking for with the post.

How well does the DSS emulate the sound when compared to a lower tier "Home theater system". Should I just put that money into a nice surround sound and tell my neighbors to fuck off? I still haven't gotten use to voices and frontal sounds coming from my 9 and 3 instead of my 12.