Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Fields of Valor reviews     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Fields of Valor reviews

It has been a while since SE introduced FoVs. And while most of the talk today is around augumented items, I'm quite curious about FoVs being worth or not on the matter of solo exp.

What are your experiences / reviews / critics on the matter?
    Would it be considered viable to exp any subjob using FoV, or the gap against standard exp parties still feels too big?
    Is there any suggest "path" of FoV to be used to maximize solo exp?

Having already exped a lot of jobs via the usual routes, it'd feel like a nice change to go solo, but I wonder if it'd be considered a bad choice overall.

An exploitable mess of a card game
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Gouka Mekkyaku
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

I never bothered with FoV until augment items came out, but for those still leveling subs, it's not a bad system at all. Access to Refresh/Regen/Item effects makes it easier to level in older areas (Especially useful for newer players). The best part is that it's static XP. I went to Cape Terrigan on WHM (LV42) and helped a friend kill mobs for FOV and received a decent buffer. For those that dual box characters and need to level subs, sky FoV (If you can manage) allows you to lolcampdespot while gaining your mules roughly 28k XP (The amount of XP you'll get before Despot pops). However, it's not enticing for players not leveling subs or new classes. As I mentioned earlier, I had no interested until augment items were introduced, and I'm sure it would remain that way had augments never existed.

Terrigan FoV for a quick about 1500xp total is good when there's nothing else to do and you wanna recap a job or finish a merit.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Before the chapter 7 was introduced I used it occasonally to buffer my jobs, its very fast. you get 1500 exp + whatver the actual mobs give you ( I do it in Cape terrigan), it always ends up with 2500 exp per session. Now the craze is FoV augments, you need only do 3 FoV to have the required 450 points. So I start right before a new game day, do a FOV, then do another immediatly, pop my FoV NM, then do a third after the next game day. it takes less than 1h30 total which is ok duration for the new "end game" even lol. At least to my experience its more exp-rewarding than campaign.

FoVs are limited to 1 per Vanadiel day, right?
    Considering a low level FoV like Valkrum, that would mean approx. 1,200 exp per hour. Correct me if I'm wrong but that doesn't sound very appealing.

I wonder, has anyone successfully leveled a subjob with FoV only?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vigilia Dulaurier
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Asura

It's also handy bonus XP when skilling up weapons and because it's static XP between me and my husband I can take one 75 character to Teriggan/VoS and other on any job 1-37. With a little baby in the house I can just pick up a FoV per day and go kill mobs when I feel like it, on PLD/DNC I can just go semi-afk with Drain Samba up and not worry. Even better if I have tactics/signal pearls with me. In the course of a day when I can't play much or focus on FFXI otherwise it's an easy 10k~ XP for a lowbie job (and a level or two!) and a merit for the 75.

It's nothing like proper XP parties in terms of XP/hr but when you can't give FFXI your full attention it's a very easy way to still feel like you're getting at least something done. Of course I could say the same about campaigns but they're far more random than FoVs- they start when they start and mobs arrive when they feel like arriving. And getting lowbie job XP in campaign (below 50-60) is pretty much pointless. FoVs bridge the gap nicely.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

I leveled DNC 1-37 purely from FoV/solo. I'd get a page, do it, get another if the game-day had changed or just kill stuff in the zone until it was up. I found it to be very fast and rewarding, I earned a lot of Tabs and the XP from FoV is nothing to complain about.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

The field support cuts back on downtime and allows you to solo tougher mobs than you might take on otherwise. This helps a lot with skilling up. It's a great way to get a job started and expecially if you're a new player.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

If you have 2 accounts and know your way around to Cape Terrigan, you could bring a Lv10 character to Terrigans OP and flag FoV per Vana'day, party up with your Lv75 alt and get exp from meeting the quota.

I like FoV alot. It gives one more incentive to solo, play with NPC etc. If not for FoV, my fellow woud still be Lv51 i think...

It'd still never beat EXP or campaign exp in my opinion.. but basically I can choose which I want based on what else I wanna do.

Merit PT -for merits
    Campaign for rank / money
    FoV for NPC and tabs

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

FoV is probably the greatest thing added to FFXI for soloing at low level. 1tic mp/hp regen is so helpful, minimises downtime and makes it more enjoyable all round. Speeds up lvling those hated sub jobs a lot. I would rate it 10/10.

If you're just looking individually at the FoV page EXP, then you're kind of looking at things the wrong way. I've soloed things from the mid-30s to 60 in like a week abusing FoV in Qufim until 43 and then jumping over to the Altepas for the rest (Though I think a better transition zone could be handy, it's just easily accessible). This is also a case where /BST really helps since your ideal targets should rarely be DC or higher if you don't have a PL following you around.

And just because your page is done it doesn't mean you should stop killing. Until about 40 in Qufim, you can make 4-6k/hr solo with the page bonus, the latter end with EXP bands included. This tends to trump most random pick-up parties you'll get. If you're a job that can cure itself (Either the spell, Drain, or Bloody Bolts) then your uptime can be upped dramatically paired with Regen and Refresh buffs alongside Sanctions DEF/EVA bonuses.

While I'd like to say decent solo EXP was possible before FoV, it was usually limited to BST/SMN pets or bombs. What really makes the EP grind work now is the adjustments to EXP values that came along with the FoV update. Getting probably 60 EXP average a kill alone every minute or so if you're good adds up quickly. Sometimes the hardest part is actually having enough mobs around.

Even without FoV, I've steamrolled jobs from 10-20 in a few hours in past zones. Since a friend recently reactived her account, I borrow her when she's at work and such and just sync down to some of her incomplete subs and chip away for the both of us. Sadly, the grind loses its luster around 60 when zones either become inhospitable or things just start taking too long to kill in relation to other EXP options like Campaign (Well, before nerfs and everyone raping it for Union loot) or a regular party.

I've not really cared for augments since the shit's too random, but otherwise I have no true complaints with the system. I'd like to be able to do multiple pages per game day (just not the same ones), but that's just wishful thinking. When I have peeked at Terrigan now and then to recap a buffer, it's usually been too crowded to get things done in under 15 minutes.

I get more exp per hour doing FoV than I do from Campaign Battles. Probably due to using my Emperor Band, which you can't in CB. Also, it's more consistent than CB which can sometimes screw you over with long droubts, anti-social behavior and dying in a corner without reraise.

It may be job dependant, but as SAM/DNC in Ro'meave I guesstimate I got 6k from mobs (stopped after dedication wore) + 3 x 1300 from FoV = 9900 EXP in a bit over 2 hours. Let's say that's 4500 exp/hr. That's more than I get from CB, but maybe I'm just bad at Campaign.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by arus2001 View Post
    This is also a case where /BST really helps since your ideal targets should rarely be DC or higher if you don't have a PL following you around.
    I'm finishing up rng atm for Maat's cap. I don't have a second account, no one I can call up for regular duoing during the afternoons when I do most of my exping, and getting a working party is proving a bit of a headache. Doing FoV as /bst is what's keeping me going at present, and I love it. For melee jobs, just going /dnc and tearing through EP-DC mobs while doing FoV has provided far better exp than I'd have ever expected from soloing (blm aside).

During those times when I haven't been able to form a pt, I'd go do FoV while lfp, and sure, it may only be a few K exp an hour, but it all adds up, it's relaxed, I can do it at my own pace, and all in all, it's a great addition to the game that has kept me interested when I'd have probably otherwise grown bored and quit.

All in all, it won't compare to a good party, but it's certainly not awful exp, and it is far more enjoyable than a bad one.

Terrigan FoV for a quick about 1500xp total is good when there's nothing else to do and you wanna recap a job or finish a merit.
    Also, this. Lord knows how many merits I've earned doing terrigan FoV during those 30 min gaps between finishing my dinner and people starting to log on for events.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Before bed go to camp and flag a page. Get to work early and do a page and flag another. Go to lunch break, do that page, do another page, at 00:00 do another page, go back to work. At about 3pm or so flag another page. Get home. Do page, do another page, at 00:00 do another page.

Assuming mid-levels (40-66(1000page+500 EP mobs)): 1500+4500+4500+1000(ring) = 11500

11500 and only 45 minutes spent exping at home, 1:15 at work.

This is valid for any job. Yeah, it's only one per hour, but if you time it right you can knock out 3 in 45 minutes.

My Maat's Cap will be done in 3 months and I haven't touched an exp party in 3 years or more.

I am going to go with FoV being a good thing for crazy's like me.

Edit: Oh, a path.

15-20 Crag zone
    20-30 Dunes
    30-39 Qufim
    39-44 East Altepa Spiders at Korrolka zoneline
    44-49 Yuhtunga Jungle Outpost 10x Monkeys
    49-53 West Altepa Spiders+Ants at Rabao zoneline
    53-63 East Altepa Outpost Gobs+Manticore
    63-66 West Altepa Beetles+Cactaur at Rev. Rock

63-66 can be a little difficult because Cactaurs can eat your face. WAR,THF,DRK and RNG sub /BST for a 1000 needles partner and Bloody Bolts for curing. PLD can sub /BST or just be smart with sentinel. MNK should store TP over 100 and get max boost for big Chi Blast to rape the Cactaur in a couple seconds. DRG and BST have 1000 needles buddies. SAM can store TP over 200 and Sekkanoki zerg it. Self curers can /BST. BRD is going to suck at this spot. And BLM has no business in FoV.

Azriell

For soloing 1-20, FoV is the best thing ever. /whm and refresh, or /dnc and regen, and you can grind out ~4k/hour with no downtime at all (unless you get a bad add), and that doesn't include the exp from FoV itself.

I've done Ro'maeve FoV once or twice to finish a merit, but that's the limit on the experience I have with doing level 75. However I have synced down to the 20s a number of times to duo books with friends in Qufim. It isn't the best exp in the world, but the time vs exp ratio is better than campaign I would wager, and it also requires less of a commitment.

Augmenting items through Elite Training, and even getting items from caskets while working on FoV (be it a piece of gear you want, or maybe just a free gold ore) add another dynamic of enjoyment to the whole thing.

It isn't perfect, but it's damn nice, for what it is. I would personally like to see more control regarding augments, or at least the ability to wipe gear clean if you get shitty augments, but those are my biggest complaints. More exp for 75 wouldn't be bad either. 9/10

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

I've leveled several of my mules subs + a couple of my own using FoV, but I always had either myself or my mule to PL. I know a few people who are literally leveling jobs to 75 via FoV. They prefer it to xp parties or w/e so more power to them. Its slower xp parties yeah, but if you solo or would like something to do while seeking or when you don't have much time to party, its a great system, pre 37 its awesome, post 37 idk, never tried it aside form rebuffing @ 75

Let's go Red Sox!
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Spungy View Post
    Edit: Oh, a path.

15-20 Crag zone
    20-30 Dunes
    30-39 Qufim
    39-44 East Altepa Spiders at Korrolka zoneline
    44-49 Yuhtunga Jungle Outpost 10x Monkeys
    49-53 West Altepa Spiders+Ants at Rabao zoneline
    53-63 East Altepa Outpost Gobs+Manticore
    63-66 West Altepa Beetles+Cactaur at Rev. Rock
    My path would be slightly different. Instead of crag zones, I like Buburimu from 15ish until about 20. Then Jugner instead of dunes until 30. After Altepa spiders I go to Zi'Tah until the East Altepa Gobs+Manticore one.

How's Jugner for lv 25-30 then? I see there's training regime working, but wouldnt the roaming IT++ Orcs and Tigers easily dispose of any brave adventurer?

Also, Buburimu looks at Valkrum level, you sure you did 15-20 there?

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Fields of Valor is great for quick bursts. Nothing like getting ~2k exp while eating breakfast before work, or any of those situations where you have less then an hour but want to get some exp.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

think a lot of ppl missed the point, the FoV mobs are generally mobs you can exp on in parties. its a little bonus exp and then some potentially nice buffs.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast