Art Connesseur of Blue Gartr
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Odess E'iron
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

First ever moving violation, need advice.

Okay quick rundown.

I got my first ever ticket back in May of 2011. The ticket was a moving violation of going through a red light. I am being 1000% honest here, I did NOT go through the red light.

That morning there was a Con Ed truck working on the box by the intersection. From a distance I did not see it. Only as I got close to the light did I see the end of the cab was blocking the intersection (only a tiny portion was sitting out) so I had to quickly shift to the middle lane. After I switched lanes, I saw there was a red light. I was honestly more concerned with not hitting the damn truck. I screeched to a halt, and stopped before the red light.

The important thing to note here is that the traffic light is on the other end of the intersection, and not where I was. If I had truly gone through the light, I probably wouldn't even be sitting here right now. I would have been in an extremely bad accident as there was plenty of oncoming traffic. I backed up a bit and the officer came over to me. She proceeded to write me a ticket for going through the light. I was a little shook up, and I usually do not make it a habit of arguing with cops.

So I finally got the notice to appear in court for Feb 29. (our system is really fucking slow) So I'm wondering what the fuck to do. I know unless the cop isn't there, or you go before the judge directly and you tell your case you can get your case dismissed if it is found reasonable. I don't know how the judges in the area are though. 99% sure the officer will be there. I know before you go to the judge, you go to pre trial conference with the officer (I think) and usually in the area they will let you off with something small like a seat belt or some other small non-moving violation.

Thing is, I'm not sure at all how to approach the officer about it to get a less severe ticket. Any assistance here would be greatly appreciated, as I cannot afford to have my insurance jacked up for something I legitimately did not do. I think my story is straight enough where I could explain it to the judge, but if I just have to pay $100 and go for a seat belt ticket I'd much rather do that.

Suggestions to those have been in a similar situation?

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Kujata

So you never went through the intersection?

Weaboo of the House of Weave
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthur Pendragon
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

If your story is true the officer was either

a) having a bad day and wanted to ruin somebody elses as well
    b) needed to meet quota
    c) just an asshole

You're fucked probably if they show up at court, sorry

Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    BG Level

are you white?

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Odess E'iron
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I am white, and I did not run through the intersection. I have no need to lie on a message board lol

BEAHCAT
    BOSTON'S FINEST

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mith Lothaire
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Cenarius

probably wrote you up for going through the stop line.

Most states (including mine) its considering going through the red light, or through the stop sign if your front tires pass over the white line in the intersection.

For something like this, just show upto court...explain the situation, that its your first moving violation in XX amount of years of driving and he will/she will more than likely toss it out.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Did you cross the stop line or not?

edit: what jmc said

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Kujata

Quote Originally Posted by Odesseiron View Post
    I am white, and I did not run through the intersection. I have no need to lie on a message board lol
    What state are you in?

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Tymon View Post
    If your story is true the officer was either

a) having a bad day and wanted to ruin somebody elses as well
    b) needed to meet quota
    c) just an asshole
    d) a woman

Show up and tell the DA/judge and most that will happen is a parking ticket.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Odess E'iron
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post
    Did you cross the stop line or not?

edit: what jmc said
    Honestly, I probably did a little bit. Did not go through the actual light or the intersection.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampdonkeyPLD View Post
    What state are you in?
    NY

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Odess E'iron
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Senji View Post
    d) a woman

Show up and tell the DA/judge and most that will happen is a parking ticket.
    You are correct. It was a woman, lol.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Kujata

Traffic, except pedestrians, facing a steady circular red signal, unless to make such other movement as is permitted by other indications shown at the same time, shall stop at a clearly marked stop line, but if none, then shall stop before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection, or in the event there is no crosswalk, at the point nearest the intersecting roadway where the driver has a view of the approaching traffic on the intersecting roadway before entering the intersection and shall remain standing until an indication to proceed is shown except as provided in paragraph two of this subdivision.

Technically, it sounds like you "ran" the red light.

Take your driving record with you. In NC the DA is more likely to give you something called an "improper equipment" when you have that with you, and it's a clean of course. That sounds like what your after. Maybe NY has something similar.

The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, by NY doesn't have a typical court for traffic offenses. Because of sheer volume and to improve efficiency, they created a specialty court that deals strictly with moving and traffic violations. The judges only deal in traffic. I've heard that this makes it incredibly difficult to get anything tossed.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Odess E'iron
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by SwampdonkeyPLD View Post
    Take your driving record with you. In NC the DA is more likely to give you something called an "improper equipment" when you have that with you, and it's a clean of course. That sounds like what your after. Maybe NY has something similar.
    Hmm. Okay. Where I do go about getting my driving record? The DMV? I don't have a record that I know of. Or my insurance company? Sorry for the questions, this is all pretty new to me.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Kujata

Quote Originally Posted by Odesseiron View Post
    Hmm. Okay. Where I do go about getting my driving record? The DMV? I don't have a record that I know of. Or my insurance company? Sorry for the questions, this is all pretty new to me.
    You should be able to get it online. In NC you can get it from the DMV website.

Demosthenes11

ya uh, running the red light means you crossed the line considerably, (typically half a car length or more). If you had to backup, you were pretty far over it.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

^ This. You don't need to go through the actual light itself; crossing the line far enough is enough to usually trip it up.

Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    BG Level

well it's just a matter of perspective. did you cross the line or did the line cross your car? surely you can't be to blame if the stop line all of a sudden moves past your car as the ground comes to a halt under your car which is just standing still

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Does NY have a program where you can take online traffic school to get a first ticket thrown out? If so, do that to keep it off your insurance.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Odess E'iron
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post
    Does NY have a program where you can take online traffic school to get a first ticket thrown out? If so, do that to keep it off your insurance.
    Not sure, will look into if it comes to that.

I ordered an online version of my record. It was 7 bucks, but it beats the shit out of waiting on any DMV line or waiting for it and not getting to my home on time. It shows nothing on there. 100% clean.

I'm going to ask the officer in my building tomorrow and see what they do. From my understanding, the officer who gave you the ticket will always pull you aside before you go before the judge and can will turn it into something minor. As long as you have a clean record and are not a dick. Both of which don't apply to me. It was the White Plains cops, not the county cops. If it was county, I could probably have it tossed as I know a bunch of them. I'll see what I can pull. I /think/ I should be okay.

Thanks for the advice all. I know I went past the crosswalk, so I was not exactly sure of that. I don't deny it. Hoping for the best here.