+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nooby question on Gambits     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Nooby question on Gambits

Hello all.... This is going to sound pretty noobish for the game :3 Checked quickly through the longer threads, but didn't see my answers amongst the posts about obtaining the rare weapons.

I'm so far at the point where I have to hunt down moogles to progress to Phon in the Jungle (?) I leveled my characters to 30 and I still barely use Gambits.

At the beginning of the game, I got frustrated at how Gambits handled situations that I pretty much gave up on them and use the Wait system. However, I'd like to take better advantage of gambits to speed up my progress.

What I would like are the following, and hopefully they are possible:

o Are Gambits to be handled like If..Then.. commands like in programming?

1>> Ally < 20% >> Curaja
    2>> Ally < 70% >> Cure
    3>> Ally: Blind >> Blindna (is this possible?)

o Is there a way to handle removing status effects like Confuse, Blind, Sleep, etc?

o Is there a way to change over healing styles automatically when reflect is casted upon players? I would like boss fights to use potions and high potions instead of cures.

o Is there a better way to buff players with protect and shell effictively with gambits? (to avoid spamming of buffs)

o Is Decoy the best way to set up tanking? If so, why does it get resisted on myself? Is there a better way to hold hate? How does hate work? (From what I have gathered, a player who gets initial hate from a monster holds far more hate, but it can degenerate through curing)

o What is the best gambit configuration for poaching? Poaching seems to be on a very long timer. Should I have my characters cast a buff, or just have all of them execute poaching at the same time?

o Non Gambit questions: Is the best way to defeat an element through spamming of Quickenings and Techniques? Is there a way to disengage?

Ninja edit: Read through http://www.bluegartr.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13367 which has good info about charging at low MP.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

hey.. i'll help with what i can,, im sure others can chime in to add in their experiences

i'll jus go down through the list:

Are Gambits to be handled like If..Then.. commands like in programming?
    yes

1>> Ally < 20% >> Curaja
    2>> Ally < 70% >> Cure
    3>> Ally: Blind >> Blindna (is this possible?)
    yes all those are possible, and you basically set them up exactly as you typed them.. some gambits do not come available from the beginning, and you have to progress a certain amount in the story to be able to buy them...

best status cure gambit i have is
    Ally: Any >> Esuna
    this will remove like 90% of status effects, you have to manually do stop/disease, or set up gambits using
    Ally: Any > Chronos Tear / Vaccine / Remedy (if lore3 is learned)

Is there a way to change over healing styles automatically when reflect is casted upon players? I would like boss fights to use potions and high potions instead of cures.
    just change the gambits manually to use potions instead of cure spell then change it back after the boss fight

Is Decoy the best way to set up tanking? If so, why does it get resisted on myself? Is there a better way to hold hate? How does hate work? (From what I have gathered, a player who gets initial hate from a monster holds far more hate, but it can degenerate through curing)
    yes decoy helps alot.. i do too notice initial agro hate is much higher than other hate...

tips for decoy:
    -have your "mage" with highest magic attack power cast it on your tank...
    -avoid using shell on the tank, and dont use alot of magick resist gear (my tank has like 19 magic resist, and my mage has like 60~ magic attack)..
    i know alot of people like to just use the optimize function to equip their character, but i advise against it, look at each gear and pick the ones that gives stats you want...
    -have a gambit to keep the spell Faith on your mage if you have the spell

i might be able to get away with keeping shell on the tank now.. but i dont really see a need for it unless im fighting a magick heavy boss

decoy has yet to miss on my tank using that setup
    also same idea applys to casting berserk on other characters, i've yet to see my mage miss casting berserk yet after doing the above

What is the best gambit configuration for poaching? Poaching seems to be on a very long timer. Should I have my characters cast a buff, or just have all of them execute poaching at the same time?
    i havnt played around with poaching,, maybe set something up like
    Foe: HP = Critical >> Poach ? idk just a guess...
    i believe some other gambits become available like Foe < 500 HP or something.. not too sure....

Is the best way to defeat an element through spamming of Quickenings and Techniques? Is there a way to disengage?
    once you get higher level than the elementals.. you can just melee them down.. thats what i do.. i had a hell of a time with them at lower levels though

hold R2 to "Flee"... it cancels all gambits and makes the characters put away their weapons

additional info...
    my tank has gambits set to keep protect / bravery / haste / bubble up.. so they always have that effect on them

everyone else is similar.. they all cast bubble / haste on themselves.. and the mage casts faith while the other melee casts bravery..

Thank you for the reply ^^

I was hoping a better way to disengage like in FFXi but using gambits :/ I should of put that question into the gambits section for poaching

I think I will reconfigure my gambits since I have developed parties now, rather than just slap 3 people togather

preachy and pretentious
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

All that has been said is correct, but there is also an Ally: Status = Reflect gambit. As for poaching it is retarded and does not give you xp or lp, but if you still want to do it. Get as many "Swiftness" licenses as you can for tha character.. Use it along with "foe hp critical". Having the poacher faster, makes it so he/she can poach before someone else takes a swing or casts a spell and kills the mob.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

just remembered to include this... you can turn off gambits entirely for a character if you like...
    so for instance.. the enemy is almost dead.. and one character starts to use poach.. what you can do is cycle to the other characters and just turn off their gambit from the menu (not the menu accessed by triangle, but just the command menu)...
    need to be quick if you're playing active mode though =p

Disabling Gambits on the fly without wait setup would require being very fast

Is there a list of all the gambits?

New Merits
    BG Level

Just wanted to mention...

"Ally: Any >> <Insert status ailment removal spell here>" will not cause your mage (or whatever) to spam spells if your other people don't have that status ailment on. For example, if none of your players have blind on, your mage won't cast Blindna at all. So... "Ally: Blind >> Blindna" really isn't necessary.

As a side note...anyone try to cure your people when they are sleeping to wake them up?

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Yes :X

i still can't get a steal gambit to work. my guy is either always stealing or i have to have gambits off

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Either do
    Enemy HP=100% >Steal
    which i use to have, but when i had multiple mobs on me, he would continuously just steal from every one of them but normally end up stealing from the same guy over and over, until damage was done, while the other 2 people were only ones fighting a mob, so it was kinda a waste.

Or can do something like
    Enemy HP Less then or equal to 2000 HP > Steal
    So when a mob is low on life, he will steal, its uncommon you have multiple mobs all low on life, and later on 2000 is nothing and it will be dead soon after.

overall i just completely got rid of my steal/poach gambits cause they do it at the worst time, when i need them to do something else, i just manually set them to steal when i want something from a mob.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

aye stealing is a pain.. but i'd hate to turn it off cause im sure i get a large amount of my gil through stealing

if i fight multiple mobs.. usually i'll just tell that one character to attack the mobs he keeps stealing from once, then he jus goes back to attacking the party leaders target

if im really frustrated with it, i'll turn off his steal gambit... but usually i can tolerate it

and for some reason i keep wanting to say macro instead of gambit ... gawd ffxi has taken its toll on me D;

no, you don't *need* specific status ailment gambits, but it can be nice in certain areas where mobs give status ailments with cheap curing spells if you've got the extra slots. Otherwise yeah, ally: any - esuna works.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Evelyn
    no, you don't *need* specific status ailment gambits, but it can be nice in certain areas where mobs give status ailments with cheap curing spells if you've got the extra slots. Otherwise yeah, ally: any - esuna works.
    But even then, you could do Ally: any - Blindna, Ally: any - Poisona, etc. and do the same thing in just as many slots as Ally: Status = Blind - Blindna, etc.

There has to be some more creative uses for it than just curing the status in a way that could have been done the same with Ally: any.

yeah I get that, I don't see a use for most of the ally: status ones, but self: blind - unseeing strike is definitely nice. Too bad SE was retarded and didn't give any self gambits til almost endgame.