+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    we fuckin' stole it man.
    BG Level

Verizon FiOS field trial introduces XG-PON2 to the lexicon, shows 10Gbps capabilities

Was gonna put this in tech, but i thought it was pretty interesting. Feel free to move it though.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/28/v...-lexicon-show/

Verizon's FiOS footprint may be on an expansion hiatus, but that's not to say the company's abandoning existing users. Nearly 3.5 years after boosting FiOS internet speeds with G-PON, the company is now out testing XG-PON2 -- a newfangled iteration that somehow enables 10Gbps upstream and downstream from its existing fiber network. If you'll recall, we heard just a few weeks back that the outfit was close to being able to serve GigE on its existing platform, and now that this field trial has been successful, we'd say the boundaries are stretched even further. In the test, technicians were able to suck down a 2.3GB movie in four ticks of the second hand, and if you're hoping to see the nerdiest video of the day, a highlight reel of the trial awaits you just past the break.

Edit: Fixed video

MOST RAD.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pupuru Puru
    FFXIV Server
    Goblin
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I came.

After about 2 years with regular Fios (20mbps) it's nearly impossible for me to go back to DSL, which feels as slow as dialup now. I can hardly imagine what 10Gbps would be like, /drool

The point that they were making is that this new tech can operate over existing fiber optic lines that they already have set up in areas that are currently receiving fios? Fuck me I need to get rid of this cablevision shit.

Why isn't fios near me! And this is amazing shit that it can use existing lines to produce this kind of speed.

and the traveler
    BG Level

the second verizon comes to my neighborhood will also be the day that i stick my dick through my time warner/roadrunner bill. just sayin

Sea Torques
    BG Level

verizon forever, why am I still using cox.

alsohawks

ALL YOU YOUNG HACKEY
    PLAYERS OUT THERE

BG Level

Christ, that is ridiculous. I kept thinking 10down/10up as if it were mbps and they were just touting an impressive upload package compared to the tiered speeds that are always provided AND THEN I REALIZED. All while I wrestle with AT&T over my DSL to maintain something above 1mbps.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

They could set a world record for capping bandwidth.

Sponsored by Orton
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

So glad to be a FiOS customer, but I am terrified of what they'd charge me monthly for that.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

They need to get on fucking expansion. Yeah Verizon, it's nice that you have service in the $1000/mo+ rental areas of Santa Monica and Venice, bring that shit to Koreatown goddamnit.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Remember that time all homes and businesses in the US had fibre ran to them, and ISPs to support them? Yeah I dont either. It wont be at least another 10 years till even a small percentage has those kinds of speeds.

BG Level

I just don't understand why the rollout takes so long. EVERYONE WANTS FIOS.

Free market fail.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post
    I just don't understand why the rollout takes so long. EVERYONE WANTS FIOS.

Free market fail.
    It's not that simple. Running Fiber isn't cheap, it costs Verizon around $600 to run fiber to a house and wire it up with equipment. On top of that, since FiOS doubles as a TV service, Verizon has to negotiate franchise agreements with each municipality they want to sell it in. That, again, costs a shitton of money, an average of $750 per house. I think it's perfectly understandable why they stopped expanding - they met their quota of money they were willing to invest, and now are going to sit back and let the cash roll in for awhile to balance the costs.

Give it time and they'll start rolling shit out again.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

It's also not just Verizon's fault. Theres no reason other companies shouldnt be bringing it to the mainstream as well. I guess most new suburbs are getting it, but it will probably be yeaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrssssssssssssss till it's grandfathered in to older ones, if ever. Chances are the cost will be passed on to the customer via montly costs + a 'small' installation charge.

Granted yes, as stated, it's very expensive. Also, the typical person does not fully utilize their current speeds anyway, so im sure theyre factoring in that as well. However as streaming, digital copies of everything, international activities, etc start becoming more staple, our current speeds will hit a wall.

Obviously a lot of people are hitting the wall, most of us here for example, as we stream, download, play games, and browse the web all at the same time. It clogs up everything else, and is slow, but unfortunatly we only represent a very small demograph that ISPs cant justify. Fiber also needs to have relay stations set up, so thats yet another cost.

We have to think more in to the future where TV will be streamed via fiber, and not coaxial (still a long ways off), and maybe by then there will be more of a reason to feed it out to the masses. Another thing to be considered is that when this happens, theres a good chance everything will be ran via underground, the overhead wires will be going away, and thats even more of a cost.

One day our dream speeds will come true, but it wont be for a very long time, unless youre willing to move to a more tech friendly country, or pay out the ass to get those lines ran to your house (in most cases that wont even be possible anyway).

Such is life.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Cephius View Post
    It's not that simple. Running Fiber isn't cheap, it costs Verizon around $600 to run fiber to a house and wire it up with equipment. On top of that, since FiOS doubles as a TV service, Verizon has to negotiate franchise agreements with each municipality they want to sell it in. That, again, costs a shitton of money, an average of $750 per house. I think it's perfectly understandable why they stopped expanding - they met their quota of money they were willing to invest, and now are going to sit back and let the cash roll in for awhile to balance the costs.

Give it time and they'll start rolling shit out again.
    I don't care whether it's Verizon or another company. It hurts my head that Verizon appears to be the only game in town for fiber. And fuck houses, hit some big apartment buildings - hundreds of potential customers in one location.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

It's probably more expensive to wire up an apartment building. Have to get approval from the landowner, probably the town since you'll be drilling into the structure... etc

I do get your point though, but it's not Verizon's fault they're the only ones who use Fiber. You should be getting on other companies like Bell South or AT&T for still using archaic copper and not getting with the times.

gonna save some hot babes and punch radiation in the mouth.
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Frostwolf

That foreign chick is a 715(delicious DSL). Can't even begin to imagine what I would use so much bandwidth for.

BG Level

The best (read: only) internet option I have in my Koreatown apartment building is AT&T DSL with a max speed of 1.5 down and 0.3 up, with lag so bad that I can't play online video games with it.

Trust me, I have plenty of rage for AT&T.

BG Level

Also, can you imagine how fast this would be if it wasn't set up by a bunch of women? Holy crap.