1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 17 hours, 15 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 6 hours, 44 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 6 days, 10 hours, 15 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in -1 hours, -16 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 107 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: FFXIV story/lore thread     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharlan Lynare
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

FFXIV story/lore thread

Use this thread for all your storyline/lore-related posts. Feel free to quote ongoing discussions from the other threads and try to move them here if possible.

I'll update these three posts with relevant story information and links to posts within the thread. I'm currently trying to decide how I want to organize and format this. You'll get an update as soon as I decide it looks clear/pretty enough.

Relevant Information
    (To be updated over time. Will reformat as it gets bigger)

• Timeline
      Spoiler: show

I'll be using the 1.0 start as a point of reference. Shortened to A/B1.0L (for before 1.0 launch and after 1.0 launch). If you want to contribute, follow the format and I'll move it here as soon as I see it.

Ancient History
      -Over 5000 years B1.0L: The Third Astral Era begins.
      -5000 years B1.0L: Times of the Allagan Empire. Their civilization spanned Orthus and Islabard
      -5000-4000 years B1.0L: The Allagan Empire imprisons Bahamut within Dalamud and sends it to the sky
      -~4000 years B1.0L: the Allagan Empire is destroyed by their own power.
      -Less than 4000 years B1.0L: The Fourth Umbral Era begins.
      -Less than 4000, more than 1500 years B1.0L: The Fourth Astral Era begins.
      -Less than 4000, more than 1500 years B1.0L:: The Fifth Umbral Era begins.
      -Less than 4000, more than 1500 years B1.0L: The Fifth Astral Era begins.
      -1,500 years B1.0L: The last recorded emergence of the Grand Companies of Eorzea before 1.0.
      -???-1500 years B1.0L: Shatotto casts Meteor on a star during the Fifth Astral Era. The Stardust rod is created.
      -1,500 years B1.0L: The Fifth Astral Era ends. The Sixth Umbral Era begins with a great deluge.
      -1500-200 years ago: The Sixth Umbral Era ends. The Sixth Astral Era begins.

Eorzean History
      -550 years B1.0L:: The Ixali settle in the Godswood.
      -549 years B1.0L:: The Duskwight Elezen build Gelmorra. They stay underground until the Moogles teach them the language of the elementals.
      ................Note: The Gelmorrans lived underground because they feared the ixali and the elementals, so this had to happen after the ixali settled down in the forest
      -200+ years B1.0L: War between Sil'dih and Ul'dah. Sil'dih loses the war after becoming overrun by their own undead creations. Ul'dah seals the ruins of Sil'dih.
      -200 years B1.0L: Nidhogg goes into slumber in Coerthas/Dravania.
      -100 years B1.0L: The Autumn Wars: Gridania wages war against Ala Mhigo. Gridania calls for help, and the first alliance between Gridania, Limsa-Lominsa, Ul'dah and Ishgard is formed.
      [1521]-50 years B1.0L: Garlemald conquers most of Islabard and Orthus. Thus the Garlean Empire is born.
      -30 years B1.0L: The Darklight Expendition is formed and sent into Cutter's Cry to slay the Chimera within. It is said before arriving, they took a wrong turn and lost half of the expedition inside the Aurum Vale in Coerthas (/joke)
      [1557]-15 years B1.0L: Ala Mhigo is conquered by the Garlean Empire.
      [1562]-10 years B1.0L: The Battle for Silvertear Falls. The fleet of the Garlean Empire clashes with Midgarsormr above the Silvertear Lake. Battle ends with an aetherial explosion.
      ................1.0's Mor Dhona is formed after the explosion which crystallized the land
      ................Primals manifest in Eorzea. Probably caused by the explosion

[1562]-10 years B1.0L: The Garleans attempt to summon Dalamud for the first time, hoping to destroy the beast tribes and their gods. The summoning fails and Bozja Citadel is destroyed.
      ................For now we're going to assume that this first cast of Dalamud was motivated by the defeat at Silvertear, so it happens after the battle.
      ................Dalamud turns red as a result for the failed summoning

-10 years B1.0L: Beastmen are exiled from Ul'dah to avoid hostility from the Garlean Empire
      [1564]-8 years B1.0L: Ifrit is summoned by the Amal'ja at Mythril Pit T-3 (first report of the Amal'ja summoning their primal)

1.0 Storyline
      [1571]-First year of 1.0L: Garleans sighted in Eorzea again.

-1.0: Ifrit is summoned by the Amal'ja again during the mission "Lord Errant".
      -1.0: Gaius van Baelsar anhiliates the Ala Mhingan resistance in Mor Dhona during the mission "Futures Perfect".

Seventh Umbral Era Storyline

-1.0: Lousioux arrives in Gridania.
      -1.0: Kan-E-Senna returns from the Godswood. The Grand Companies are reformed.
      -1.0: Nael Van Darnus sighted in Eorzea.
      -1.0: Ifrit is defeated by the players during the quest "It Kills with Fire" and "Ifrit Bleeds, We Can Kill It".
      -1.0: Garuda is defeated by the players during the quest "Waking the Tempest" and "Taming the Tempest"
      -1.0: Good King Moggle Mog is defeated by the players during the quest "A Feast of Fools"
      -1.0: Nidhogg wakes up in Coerthas/Dravania.
      -1.0: Castrum Novum is built in western Mor Dhona.
      -1.0: Battle of Carteneau Flats. The Garlean VIIth Legion fights against the Eorzean Alliance beneath Dalamud.
      -1.0: Dalamud opens, revealing Bahamut inside. Lousioux's summoning of the power of the twelve fails, and Bahamut ravages Eorzea. The Sixth Astral Era ends. The Seventh Umbral Era begins.

2.0 Storyline

• 1.0 Original Storyline
      Summary
      to be filled

• Seventh Umbral Era Storyline
      Summary

Quote Originally Posted by http://gamerescape.com/2012/11/11/final-fantasy-xiv-the-end-of-an-era/
      Seeking control over this realm and its abundant crystal resources, the Garlean Empire (a scientifically advanced nation hailing from the north) begins gathering an army of epic proportions. To ready themselves for the coming conflict, the city-states of Eorzea reinstate the Grand Companies─comprehensive centers of command which combine the commonwealths’ military and economic assets. However, the commander of the invading forces, VIIth Imperial Legion Legatus Nael van Darnus (a.k.a. “White Raven”), has plans of his own. Driven by madness, he silently plots to usher in a more permanent form of devastation: Meteor.

The Meteor project is comprised of a complex scheme employing arcane magicks and lost technology to summon the lesser moon down to Eorzea in an attempt to annihilate the realm’s inhabitants in one fell stroke. Dalamud, as the celestial object is commonly known, is revealed to be a colossal machine launched thousands of years ago into the planet’s orbit by an ancient civilization.

Realizing the futility of standing alone against such a threat, the Grand Companies put aside deep-rooted differences and consolidate their forces under the banner of the Eorzean Alliance.

At the behest of this new confederation, adventurers from across the realm take up arms and march on the floating islands of Rivenroad. Here, the brave heroes confront Nael van Darnus, and after a heated battle, put him to the sword. But by this time, the White Raven’s plan is too far along, and Dalamud continues its descent.

In an eleventh-hour bid to save mankind, the Grand Companies turn to Louisoix, an enigmatic scholar hailing from the forgotten city-state of Sharlayan. The ‘Archon,’ as he is called, devises a plan to summon the power of the Twelve, Eorzea’s pantheon of guardian deities, and use that power to banish Dalamud back to the heavens. But for this to succeed, the rite needs to be performed directly beneath the point of Dalamud’s impact. After several sleepless nights of deliberation by the realm’s foremost arcanists and astronomers, that point is determined to be a vast swathe of barren lowlands in central Eorzea known as the Carteneau Flats. With this information in hand, the Grand Companies order the immediate mobilization of their forces.

Unbeknownst to the Alliance, the soldiers of the VIIth Imperial Legion, oblivious to their leader’s dark intentions, have also begun gathering in central Eorzea. Ordered to defend the area with their lives, they prepare for a fight, unaware that victory will bring about their own demise.

And so, with two great hosts amassed, the Battle of Carteneau begins.

Both sides fight with a desperation-fueled frenzy, neither yielding the other ground, until from the skies, a great roar issues. Dalamud has begun its final metamorphosis. In a matter of moments, the stone and metal of the moon’s crust crumble away to reveal none other than the elder primal, Bahamut, now free from his ancient prison.

And thus do the people of Eorzea learn what it is that truly faces them. Never was it the White Raven’s intention to blight the realm with Dalamud, but what slumbered within it.

Enraged after aeons of duress, Bahamut unleashes his wrath upon the realm, spewing forth endless fire and destruction. Louisoix quickly conjures a barrier to protect what remains of the Eorzean Alliance, and then begins the arcane rite that will channel the power of the Twelve and focus it into rebinding Bahamut. The sheer force of the primal, however, is too strong for even the Archon, and his efforts fail.

Realizing the end is nigh, Louisoix summons the last of his strength to call upon Althyk, the Keeper, god of space and time, to send those surviving heroes into an aetherial rift, where they are to remain untouched by the passing of the seasons until it is once again safe to emerge…and continue their struggle to forge Eorzea’s future.

• Known Land:

Continents
      -Aldenard
      ----Eorzea is comprised of Aldenard and its surrounding islands
      -Islabard
      ----Garlemald (seat of the Empire) should be here
      -Othard

More information:
      (Spira) http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/113...=1#post5476375
      (miokomioko - 1.0 landmarks) http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/113...=1#post5477996
      (Official site) http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/about/story, http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/about/...garlean-empire

• Known Primals:

Name
      [Element] Worshiped by <beastmen>. Location: <location>,<version>.

Ifrit
      -[Fire] Worshiped by the Amal'jaa. Location: Thanalan, 1.0
      Garuda
      -[Wind] Worshiped by the Ixali. Location: Coerthas, 1.0
      Titan
      -[Earth] Worshiped by the Kobolds. Location: La Noscea (assumed), 2.0
      Leviathan
      -[Water] Worshiped by the Sahagin . Location: ???,2.0
      Ramuh
      -[Thunder] Worshiped by Sylphs (vaguely hinted at from their sigil: a lightning bolt). Location: ??? 2.0
      Shiva
      -[Ice] Worshiped by ???. Location: ???, 2.0
      Good King Moggle Mog XII
      -[???] Worshiped by Moogles. Location: The Black Shroud, 1.0

Elder Primals: [*Q5]
      Bahamut
      -[???] Worshiped by the Dragons of Dravania (confirmed as of Nov15/2012). Location: ???, 2.0
      Odin
      -[???] Worshiped by ???. Location: ???, 2.0

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Some unanswered questions/plot holes
    Gathering these from ongoing threads, and as new stuff arises. Feel free to just respond to these if you don't want to go find the actual discussion.
    These are just small questions to get discussions going, feel free to speculate but don't go overboard if there isn't much backing your theories up.

[1]What exactly happens after the Battle for Silvertear Falls from the 1.0 intro?
    [2]When does Darnus fall under Bahamut's influence?
    [3]What exactly happened at the Bozja Citadel?
    [4]What is Atomos going to do with all the aether he drained?
    [5]Why are some primals considered "Elder" primals?

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharlan Lynare
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

I'll start then:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocl View Post
    Maybe someone answered me last time I asked it and I don't remember it because they were worthless: but are we certain Meteor is the name of the 'spell' used to bring down Dalamud? cuz, from what I saw, it seemed to be the codename for the Garlean project to fuck with Dalamud. I have two reasons for this: i can't remember when the fuck they call Meteor a specific magic spells, and the fact that we'll be able to cast Meteor through a Limit Break (or I guess you could say Comet if you want to be a prick)

Also Bozja Citadel was witnessed in Eorzea (by this one Gridanian Guard who swears to GOD he saw Dalamud turn red for like AT LEAST A MINUTE) with no mention of smaller debris falling from Dalamud/the sky. (There also seems to be two types of debris as in normal shit falling off like some sort of spaceship landing i don't know what the fuck science is we don't land spaceships anyways do we? we crash 'em REGARDLESS non-homing/normal and homing/controlled by Dalamud meteoroids)
    Quote Originally Posted by miokomioko View Post
    The officially-released summary of the recent storyline and End of an Era clip says:

That sounds to me like they are specifying that it always had to do with Dalamud.

I wonder what they'll name the Black Mage limit break.

Cid in "Two Vans are Better than One"
    All I know for sure is that this - all of the Empire's machinations of late - is a grand experiment to recreate the ancient magic known as Meteor.
    blah blah
    Not long after, it was proposed that the device be used to cast Dalamud down upon the lands of the beast tribes. But to do this, a breed of sorcery powerful enough to tear the very stars from the sky was needed - Meteor.
    While we're at it, this same cutscene also confirms it was Dalamud they tried to bring down ten years ago, not a different celestial body, and it definitely hints towards the Bozja project going to hell before Dalamud even got close. That said, this doesn't rule out the possibility of Meteor being used to bring down a different celestial body (it just didn't happen ten years ago). The spell is not specifically linked to Dalamud, it's just the moon they aimed for with it.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharlan Lynare
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

Claiming a third post since I don't know how fast the first two will fill up. Inbefore this gets locked

The Once and Future Wamoura
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

inb4 lock

So an interesting theory I heard from (well, the OF) was that in the DRG quest it wasn't Nidhogg who spoke to Estinien in the final DRG CS but Bahamut? I mean it's ??? italic voice, unfortunately the OP videos tend to green-screen and cut out for me during the last 30s and idk why so hopefully there's something to disprove this tomfoolery

Because as I understood, Nidhogg wasn't necessarily a Primal? I mean his Eye is still out an about (omg just liek Altana's Eye) but then again I guess you can go LOL ALL IFRIT WEAPONS ARE IFRIT HORNS NOOB

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

Also do we KNOW that Galvus knows Nael is gonna meteor the shit out of Eorzea? I mean, Gaius knows, and Gaius tells us Nael is lying to Galvus, which would beg the question why Gaius didn't tell Galvus but still--I don't recall concrete proof that the Emperor was like YEAH FUCK IT BLOW THIS SHIT UP. If anything I thought Nael would've sweet-talked the Emperor into believing Meteor/Dalamud wouldn't cause complete annihilation of Eorzea/Hydaelyn (after all, the botched attempt didn't wipe out Garlemald, just Bozja) and then it's all blah blah

Gaius: But Emperoooooooooooooooor he's gonna destroy Eorzea I'm supposed to conquer it
    Galvus: stfu
    Nael: SUX TO BE A LOSER

[I actually think there is a line where Nael mocks Gaius about falling from the Emperor's good graces? I always assumed that was about Silvertear Falls but idk (Ala Mhigo was 15 and Silvertear 10 years ago, right?)]

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I have a feeling (which may or may not be backed up by dialog though I like to think that's why I think this) that Nael was highly favored by Emperor Galvus for some unknown reason. Gaius might have a little spite against Nael for his abnormally quick rise to Legatus after the slaying of his own father and his aides and the fact that the Emperor trusts Nael far too much and himself not enough (probably not even enough to believe what he informs him about Nael).

Perhaps it's like Gramis trusting Vayne after he put his own brothers to the sword; it made the Emperor/Senate happy, but made everyone else around completely distrust him.

At least that's the vibe I've had from their relationship.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharlan Lynare
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

[I actually think there is a line where Nael mocks Gaius about falling from the Emperor's good graces? I always assumed that was about Silvertear Falls but idk (Ala Mhigo was 15 and Silvertear 10 years ago, right?)]
    This happens in Two Vans are Better than one, yes. Darnus actually says using Meteor is the will of the Emperor, then mocks Gaius.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOglJ...ure=plpp_video @4:50

Gaius: [...]Go no further with this Nael. It is...depraved - fouler even than the pestillence we seek to purge. It is more wicked than the primals themselves it-
    Darnus: -is the will of the Emperor [...]
    Which I guess brings up the question: is the Emperor just pissed that Eorzea has withstood the advance of the empire for so long, and said "fuck it, blow it up" then? I don't think Darnus would lie to Gaius, since they're both the same rank and so he'd know what the orders are. Sounds like the command to put an end to Eorzea might've come from the Emperor himself, but Gaius is hesitant to do so and still wants to conquer it.

No, I think we might've just misunderstood the intent of the second attack from the Empire. Conquering Eorzea wasn't a priority anymore as long as the primals were around. At some point, the Emperor might've decided the primals/beastmen had to go by any means necessary, and Darnus was just the right man for the job. Gaius, as the general who doesn't believe killing the primals is worth losing the prize (the conquest) and as the general in charge of the less aggressive campaign from 1.0, is clearly not happy with the entire thing.

If we look back at Futures Perfect, kids from Ala Mhigo are being raised to hate the primals and beastmen, and Garlean linkshells are being offered to those that seek protection from the primals if they join the Empire, so this was probably the way Gaius chose to get rid of the primals/beastmen in order to make the conquest possible.

We never get to see the emperor but the guys fuckin ancient and I imagine a bit daft, a few velvety words from Darnus and I imagine he's just like "yes, meteor, conquering, power, sure....who are you again?".

Because they're so far from home (presumably, we don't have a world map) it's not unreasonable to assume that clear and direct communication* is infrequent and given their status the legatus surely operate with a degree of autonomy as long as they're acting in the empire's interests.

*except they should since we see npcs have and use linkshells so there's no reason they shouldn't be able to chat up the emperor or whoever else they need to consult whenever they want, the game just chooses to forget/ignore that when it would bring up issues in the storytelling

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

I didn't realize Cid was an atheist. (sidenote: fking gridanian quest who the hell would be an Adder anyway?)

I guess I can accept that Galvus gave up the whole conquer & destroy the beast tribe by swordgun and go with the crash-a-moon plan. (Also, Niiro, I believe the Garelemald Empire is the misty-bit NW of Ala Mhigo; at least, some of it anyway) I'm still not wholly sold that Galvus and Gaius (or even Nael) knew Dalamud = Bahamut (esp considering he is now referred to as "Elder Primal" and the Empire sure does hate their eikons [fun fact: i remember an OF LOC post about changing Gaius' dialogue there from 'primals' to 'eikons'])

I'm also beginning to think Gaius is a p. cool guy; I mean, it sounded like, from that CS, he intentionally let us overhear (well the roegadyn fuck anyway), or he and Nael both knew he was there and purposefully let him live so they would all know the big master plan? idk, Gaius doesn't like Nael, he doesn't like Dalamud, and he wants Eorzea to exist-- albeit so he can conquer & rule as viceroy or some shit, but still. That's nicer than kill everyone.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharlan Lynare
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

Maybe the garleans didn't know a primal/Bahamut was imprisoned, we might be taking the "see Dalamud for what it is" line too literally. Maybe it just means they knew it was a prison for a terrible thing and not a moon that's actually going to crash.

I guess we'll find out what Gaius/Solus have to say about Bahamut. If they knew, then good job retards for knowingly adding another primal to Eorzea. If they didn't, then it'd be pretty ironic - they use this weapon to rid Eorzea of the primals and it only makes matters worse, since an even stronger primal is out now. It's also possible they knew a primal was inside, but their plan was for this primal to drain the aether from all of the Eorzean primals (and Eorzea itself), which would make sense if the Empire believed Darnus would be able to control Bahamut after the landing.

Too many "ifs" right now, lol.

Little Mother
    BG Level

I'll allow it. Carry on people.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

wtf were those weird noises at the end of the trailer as it fades to white?

did we ever really figure out why the Empire was in Aurum Vale, Darkhold, and what the hell the Paragons were? I know we don't know wtf the Ascians are, but they seem less important to the whole crystal/aether story than the guys who showed up and went LOL SUMMON GODS LIKE THIS

are primals indigenous to Eorzea? is Atomos a primal?

eh, no, I don't think Atomos is; I mean yeah he's absorbing energy from the crystals but he also appears tied to the Void (it is Void and not void this time right?) which makes him a sort of unique entity here, eh? Also, fuck Snurbles.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

The only reason we know of that Imperials were inside Dzemael Darkhold, Thousand Maws of Toto-Rak, and Aurum Vale were to set up their Magitek devices that measure/record Aetheric energies and where they flow.

I think it was just essentially like Shin-Ra sending out some scientists to figure out where they're going to plop their Mako reactors.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

Another thing that bothers me: Those were ceruleum generators up by Bluefog, right? Why didn't the Imperials fuck with Ul'dah more? I mean at the end, Ul'dah seemed to be a primary target, but I think that had more to do with the playerbase either being there or Mor'Dhona. Also why did Ul'dah have ceruleum generators at all?

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharlan Lynare
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

eh, no, I don't think Atomos is; I mean yeah he's absorbing energy from the crystals but he also appears tied to the Void (it is Void and not void this time right?) which makes him a sort of unique entity here, eh? Also, fuck Snurbles.
    Clearly Atomos was released by Cait Sith to preserve Eorzea's aetherial energies, but she couldn't predict he'd start summoning voidsent

FF references, FF references everywhere

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

I almost wonder now if Atomos wasn't a way for a "The Twelve" system to collect aether or "data" from specific points around Eorzea to preserve any memory that the planet might have, basically creating a backup knowing that something bad was about to happen. But that does not necessarily explain the baddies outside of making sure Atomos is protected from Guild Mark hungry adventurers.

Kinda like FATE recording your memories in Chrono Cross at save points.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

I have never played Chrono Cross '~'. But yeah, Atomos being an agent of the Twelve seems suspect at best to me because of his affinity with voidsent. Except snurbles, even Atomos hates snurbles.

Also their weird aura thing-- the only other weird aura thing was Nael Deus, yeah? Perhaps he is a roaming Primal, I really hope not :<

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

wtf were those weird noises at the end of the trailer as it fades to white?
    Wasn't that just Bahamut roaring? Along with some sound effect of gigaflare getting close to the camera/Louisoix.

I'm starting to wonder if the Emperor was being manipulated by Dalamud too. I can't imagine it's as simple as him wanting to see the world wiped from existence like Nael.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sunnlona Iyrnlohwyn
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I just rewatched it and it definitely sounded like Bahamut roaring mixed a bit of howling wind from the force of the gigaflare

Another thing that bothers me: Those were ceruleum generators up by Bluefog, right? Why didn't the Imperials fuck with Ul'dah more? I mean at the end, Ul'dah seemed to be a primary target, but I think that had more to do with the playerbase either being there or Mor'Dhona. Also why did Ul'dah have ceruleum generators at all?
    Afaik they've been there from launch, I just assumed they were meant for something that never got implemented.