Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Death by snoo snoo
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syntax Error
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

Proper Star Wars viewing order

So my girlfriend has never fully seen any of the Star Wars movies and gas agreed to watch them. I'm unsure of which order to do.

1-2-3-4-5-6 is how Lucas wants you to watch them. But it kind of spoils the whole "Vader is Luke's father" twist.

4-5-6-1-2-3 is how most fans will tell you to watch it but since Lucas is an idiot, you see a random Hayden Chistensen at the end of Jedi of you're watching newer editions (which we will be).

I've also read about doing 4-5-1-2-3-6 which is interesting because you start off with the originals, find out about vader and Luke, leave off big cliffhangers with Han Solo, etc. Then you flip gears, get the backstory of Vader, followed by the conclusion of the series.

Help me BG, you're my only hope.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

4-5-6.

There are no other Star Wars Movies.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Headspace View Post
    4-5-6-1-2-3 is how most fans will tell you to watch it but since Lucas is an idiot, you see a random Hayden Chistensen at the end of Jedi of you're watching newer editions (which we will be).
    how do you not have an older version?!

I would probably do it in this order regardless.

Death by snoo snoo
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syntax Error
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

Because I don't own a VHS player.

2600klub
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Pendas View Post
    4-5-6.

Agreed.

Let's go Red Sox!
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Pendas View Post
    There we go.

Less sarcastically, just watch 4-5-6 as has been suggested. I would rather watch the entire backlog of The View than sit through 1-2-3 again.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

clone wars wasn't as bad as most people seem to bandwagon on about it and 3 also wasn't that bad, ONE NEEDS TO BURN IN THE FIRES OF HELL, yet i'm watching it in 3d next saturday

Now now, 1 was worth the lightsaber fight with Maul

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Siniroth View Post
    Now now, 1 was worth the lightsaber fight with Maul
    If you can put up with the rest of the silly plot and Jar Jar, yes.

Oh and Obi-wan ignoring the power of the high ground.

4-5-6 and then watch Red Letter Media's review of the prequel trilogy if you want the Cliffnotes.

Banned.

BG Level

4-5-6 indeed.

Death by snoo snoo
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syntax Error
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

I watched the prequels as a kid so I don't have nightmares about these.
    They will be watched, I just don't know if I start out with the better movies, end with the better movies or do that weird ass order that makes some decent sense

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

1/2/3 were as bad as the Christmas Special with han and chewie.

Yeah I went there.

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

The prequels made the Jedi Order seem pretty silly and indifferent towards the obvious plight of Anakin Skywalker.

Vader was seduced by the Dark side? More like shoved there by the gross incompetence of the Jedi and the script.

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

4-5-6.

Thread should have been locked after this post.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I really dont see why theres so much hate on the prequels.

I look at them this way. The are fun to watch movies that happen to have SW lore in them. They are fun movies with some good duels in them. A lot of people cant get passed the comparison between trilogies, they arent up to par, etc. The fact is they are enjoyable movies that involve SW lore. I guess people are just pissed that the story became mainstream. George had the ideas for 123 in book form way before the movies came out, and people werent pissed about them then.

As far as the question go, I never question 456123 being the correct order because thats how they originally came out.
    But the 451236 order isnt that bad of an idea if youve never watched them before..

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

The hate stems from the weak acting and the emphasis on visual effects that completely shit all over the storyline.

If you only care about lightsabers, droids exploding and lore being thrown around then the prequels were great but many went in thinking Lucas would have improved on the original series when all he did really was make more 'splosions. I guess you can blame people for setting their hopes too high but even with an indifferent stance to the newer films they were weak outside the fights.

Character like Jar Jar were annoying as fuck and added very little to the story, Anakin was an annoying twit and the audience doesn't feel much for him as he makes his rise from slave boy to Vader. Instead of the prequels conveying a story that ultimately led to Anakin becoming Vader we got force-fed "here's how Anakin became Vader". In Revenge of the Sith he's already wearing black as a fucking Jedi for crying out loud.

The incompetence of the entire Jedi Order stands out, Palpatine's plot was weak and Order 66 was silly. Really the whole thing could have been told in a much more meaningful way but as I said before Lucas was more interested in getting his boy wonder into the robosuit.

Brown Recluse

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Headspace View Post
    So my girlfriend has never fully seen any of the Star Wars movies and gas agreed to watch them. I'm unsure of which order to do.

1-2-3-4-5-6 is how Lucas wants you to watch them. But it kind of spoils the whole "Vader is Luke's father" twist.

I've also read about doing 4-5-1-2-3-6 which is interesting because you start off with the originals, find out about vader and Luke, leave off big cliffhangers with Han Solo, etc. Then you flip gears, get the backstory of Vader, followed by the conclusion of the series.

Help me BG, you're my only hope.
    If she doesnt know anout Vader being luke's dad, then 4-5-1-2-3-6. If she does then 123456 is fine. or just watch 456.

Like a boss yo
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Mal'Ganis

1 2 3 4 5 6 if you have seen them, if not then 4 5 6 1 2 3

But seriously, get the hell over yourselves, Lucas wanted to do the prequels to show you how 4 5 6 came to be, Love the lore, not the acting. If you cannot see this, then get that stick
    out of your crawl.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by SephYuyX View Post
    I really dont see why theres so much hate on the prequels.

I look at them this way. The are fun to watch movies that happen to have SW lore in them. They are fun movies with some good duels in them. A lot of people cant get passed the comparison between trilogies, they arent up to par, etc. The fact is they are enjoyable movies that involve SW lore. I guess people are just pissed that the story became mainstream. George had the ideas for 123 in book form way before the movies came out, and people werent pissed about them then.

As far as the question go, I never question 456123 being the correct order because thats how they originally came out.
    But the 451236 order isnt that bad of an idea if youve never watched them before..
    Basically, this. The retcons were irritating, but the worst bit about 1-3 were the wooden performances... and yes, Jar-Jar was unnecessary and a poor comedic replacement for C-3PO, R2-D2 and Han.

They weren't great but did get progressively better. Overall, I think they're watchable, and actually enjoy Revenge of the Sith regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by ronin sparthos View Post
    The prequels made the Jedi Order seem pretty silly and indifferent towards the obvious plight of Anakin Skywalker.

Vader was seduced by the Dark side? More like shoved there by the gross incompetence of the Jedi and the script.
    I think that was meant to be a statement on pride and complacency as a downfall of even the good and just.

By Phantom, the Jedi had long since crushed the Sith and were a mainstay for Order in the galaxy, such that they were almost inseparable form the Republic government. Their way had been working well, unchallenged, for millenia, so when mavericks like Qui-Gon and Anakin come along and warning of serious shit going down, they're already too soft and stubborn (in a sense), to properly adapt. Add to that the Sith training in secret the whole time, and the most powerful Sith on record (Palpatine) capable of hiding his presence while building a his power base for decades, the Jedi order's complacency was coupled with a growing imbalance in the force, diminishing their ability to observe and forsee the threats around them (such as Syfo-Dyas forseeing the need of the clones, when really all that did was ensure an army ready for the Empire's control). In a way, the Jedi Order had become as corrupt as the evils they were meant to defend against.

Had they remained open-minded, flexible, and detached from politics, Anakin might have lived up to his potential, and Palpatine might never have taken control.

Anyway, on topic, just have her watch 1-2-3-4-5-6. Nothing but good can come from watching the films as they become progressively better. By A New Hope, she might even be stoked to know how the Skywalker kids find out about their father.

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Guyveramor
    1 2 3 4 5 6 if you have seen them, if not then 4 5 6 1 2 3

But seriously, get the hell over yourselves, Lucas wanted to do the prequels to show you how 4 5 6 came to be, Love the lore, not the acting. If you cannot see this, then get that stick
    out of your crawl.

So in his attempt to show us how 4/5/6 came to be he had to sacrifice the script and the acting for a lightshow?

Shit is shit. I can appreciate the lightsaber duels but the wooden acting due to Lucas is a dealbreaker.

The Clone Wars cartoon series is superior in its storytelling than the prequels.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast