+ Reply to Thread
Page 184 of 470 FirstFirst ... 134 174 182 183 184 185 186 194 234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fishing     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Results opened today?!

I turned in my fish a while ago, didn't even Know it was time to check lol.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Dunno if it's been generally dying off on Hades lately, or the fact that the contest fish was Lik, but one of the random ones I bought off AH to turn in to Zaldon got my 17th place. Yay for a shiny new ring. (Please ignore the fact that only 22 people turned in fish - let me have my glory!)

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Duskwood

Forgot about this until yesterday...did some sea zombies in the morning...came in 7th place! Huzzah!

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Midnightjade Eleven
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Blech, I turned in what I thought was a great fish, then came back last night to find a veteran fisherman bazaaring 40 by the ranking desk, and they were all better than mine.

I ended up coming in 39th place, and most of the guys above me were veterans (I'm just a novice). I guess that's not terrible but I'd like the ring to help me skill up.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

you guys have me anticipating what place I came in today. The only thing about today is after I get off of work in 5 hours I have to go to the grocery store . This means more banging my head against the wall!

Hipster Fisherman
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Contest was largest Lik on Carbuncle, so I got to make a good lot of money while trying to get first place.

I underestimated my competition, and finished 5th unfortunately. I'll probably do a lot better when fish ranking requests a fish that isn't worth crap outside of the contest (e.g. Tricorn).

On the bright side, I helped 7 other people get their rings this contest!

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Lightbringer

Quote Originally Posted by nibu View Post
    Contest was largest Lik on Carbuncle, so I got to make a good lot of money while trying to get first place.

I underestimated my competition, and finished 5th unfortunately. I'll probably do a lot better when fish ranking requests a fish that isn't worth crap outside of the contest (e.g. Tricorn).

On the bright side, I helped 7 other people get their rings this contest!
    Extremely impressive. The best I have ever been able to do is fish up 5 winning fish in one contest. What I have seen is that if the target fish are somewhat useful (and/or valuable), or are the very low level fish, it becomes extremely difficult to get a winning fish because of the huge increase of people fishing, and the ease of fishing greater numbers of fish.

Hipster Fisherman
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

It was mentioned a few posts back, but I can confirm that penguin ring DOES in fact extend the time a rod stays in both the left and right positions. I am fishing gugrusaurus today, and have tried both fishing them with just an albatross ring, and alba/penguin ring together. Penguin ring extends the possibility of the rod staying left/right for 0~1 second more from what I have observed (though you can still get those rod swings that go immediately back to center).

It probably also does directly increase the rate of stamina depletion of a fish, but the indirect effect of extending left/right rod times hasn't received a lot of attention. And for something like gugrus, that extra 0~1 second can add a much needed buffer in preventing tapping left/right when the rod unexpectedly swings back to the center, thus lessening the chance of giving the gugru a lot of stamina back.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Can anyone point to a decent guide for someone starting at fishing from 0?

Fishing Guru
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Hirokei Kiaza View Post
    Can anyone point to a decent guide for someone starting at fishing from 0?
    First off, let me give credit where credit is due:
    http://www.bluegartr.com/forum/49347-fishing-40.html

Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes
    I Resumed fishing sometime in January. I do not ever want to be in nashmau again! I think I was 27 or 30something when I resumed. I caught as many fish as I could stand to catch every single day, All 200 sometimes. The hardest periods for me were the transition periods when I had to learn new fish, (ie canceling the ones I knew were not the ones I wanted) I have had no other income and I've been buying random shit. I currently have 5mil in profits. I do not doubt I'd be around 7-8 mil now if I had not bought random shit. That said. I npced everything.

Istiridye>Mercanbaligi+Ahtapot>Mercanbaligi+Dil (canceling all !!! fish Ahtapots)>Cave Cherax.

Like I said I tried Pterygotus because I did not want to deal with a broken rod but good lord, the skillups were too abysmal for me. I took Cave Cherax in QSC and ate rod breaks anyway. Suckers snapped my line a shitload and broke my rod about twice a day. I could never reach 200 on them either. I think most I pulled off was 100, on average I caught about 75 Cherax, they npc for 1600 gil though, making them pretty decent skillup fish.

That said, this in my opinion is the fastest skill/profit path.
    Preface
    After asking him some follow up questions about bait, zones, etc, here is what I view as the fastest and most profitable fishing to at least 90+, I know there's a lot more to be researched on 90-100, but I'll have plenty of time for that while I fish. First, I'm not sure what level you can begin fishing Istiridye's, they are the Eastern equivilant of Shall Shells and were not only quite easy to reel in at 28, but I also used to fish Shall Shells with 20ish skills in Bub Pen. Secondly, I will assume Lu Shangs fishing rod but you can also use Halcyon, atleast upto 53. Honestly, by 53, you'll probably have made enough to pay for at least half, if not more of a Lu's just NPCing everything. All of this can be done in the Nashmau area, however, if there is a close zone alternative I will include that option.

Stage 0.5: Nebimonite
    Fishing Levels: 0-27
    Area: Ship between Mhaura/Selbina or Sea Serpent Grotto
    Bait: Halcyon Rod (or Lu of course) & Crayfish Paste
    Notes: Skip moats and hit these up for 27 levels. They sell incredibly fast on the AH for about 9k per stack. To save more gil, buy the crayfish paste at the fisherman's guild for dirt cheap. I'm sure they were exaggerating, but people said they made almost enough to buy a Lu from AHing these from 0-27 instead of spending time on Moats and random other fish. I imagine if you would like you can start Istiridye earlier than 27 assuming you have a Lu, a friend began them at level 7 with a Lu.
    ***ADDITIONAL NOTE: I've heard Nebs dont bite very well until around 15, so it may be best to just do moats from 0-11.

Stage 1: Istiridye
    Fishing Levels: 0-53
    Area: Nashmau
    Bait: Robber Rig
    Notes: These are incredibly easy to reel in and stack. If you are a bit patient they will sell on the AH for 7k a stack, or find a high level bonecrafter who synths them into black pearls and sell to them directly for a negotiable price. They also NPC for 300ish gil. I made 70k my first day just NPCing these while racking in a couple fishing skill levels from 30-33ish. I currently dbox them to a high level bone friend for 5k a stack.

Stage 2: Mercanbaligi & Ahtapot
    Fishing Levels: 53-90
    Bait: Shrimp Lure
    Additional Location: Talacca Cove, W exit of Nashmau through Caederva Mire near Einherjar entrance.
    Notes: A friend prefers Talacca Cove, the difference is in Talacca you will also fish up Dil's which you will not in Nashmau. NPC rates seem to vary on these from about 600g on Mercs to 700gish on Ahtapots. Mercs are the Eastern equivalent of Bastore Breams and Ahtapots are the Eastern equivalents of Grimmonites. Dil's npc for almost 800g each and are the eastern version of black sole which cap at 96.

[i]This is where a few options seem to open:

Stage 3 Option A: Pterygotus
    Fishing Levels 90-99
    Bait: Lugworm
    Notes: Biterate is acceptable, and these will not break a Lu.

Stage 3 Option B: Dil
    Area: Talacca Cave
    Fishing Levels: 90-96
    Notes: You will also hit Mercs (single !) which are already capped, and also Ahtapots (!!!) which cap at 90 but the bite rate of hooking dils is similar to Pter's and you will make nice gil off the other 2 fish in the meantime.

Stage 3: Option C: Cave Cherax
    Area: Quicksand Caves
    Fishing Levels: 86+ or more likely 99-100
    Bait: A MEATABALLS
    Notes: These will snap a Lu Shangs and/or your line. If you go this route and do not have WW high enough to repair consider buying multiple Lu's.

Stage 4: Option D: Armored Pisces
    Area: Oldton Movalpolos
    Fishing Levels: 86+ or more likely 99-100
    Bait: Sinking Minnow
    Notes: These *will not* snap a line or rod if the fish is completely depleted. Bite rate seems to be equal or possibly better than Cave Cherax.

Stage 5: Option D: Lik/Gugs
    Area: Lufaise Meadows, Open Sea Route Mhaura/Al Zahbi
    Bait: Minnow, Meatballs
    Notes: If you are lucky enough to have an Ebisu by the time you cap Ahtapot 90 in Talacca Cove skilling off these is a profitable option. I personally skilled 90-100 off Liks and made quite a fortune bazaaring some for 15k and unloading others to lsmates for 10k each and helping them obtain an ebisu. This really wouldn't be a great idea if you had a Lu, but if you were lucky enough to have an Ebisu at this point, the skill ups were quite decent.

TLDR Fishing for Dummies Version:
    All done in Nashmau:
    0-53 Robber Rig, Istiridye (If no Lu, Halcyon to 27 on Nebs)
    53-86 Shrimp Lure, Mercanbaligi & Ahtapot
    86-99 Lugworm or Sinking Minnow, Pterygotus
    99-100 QSC, Meatballs/Cave Cherax OR Oldton Movalpolos, Sinking Minnow/Armored Pisces, OR Lik/Gugs Minnow/Meatballs

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Thanks, I appreciate it. :D

Off to the world of fishing!

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Yatuwatu View Post
    Dunno if it's been generally dying off on Hades lately, or the fact that the contest fish was Lik, but one of the random ones I bought off AH to turn in to Zaldon got my 17th place. Yay for a shiny new ring. (Please ignore the fact that only 22 people turned in fish - let me have my glory!)
    Last time I checked it was some stupid frog that you needed a key item to get and there was only 11 entries. >.>

edit: A few comments on the 1-100 guide based on my experience going there thus far...
    Stage 0.5: Nebimonite
    Fishing Levels: 0-27
    Area: Ship between Mhaura/Selbina or Sea Serpent Grotto
    Bait: Halcyon Rod (or Lu of course) & Crayfish Paste
    It could have just been bad luck, but my bite rate was abysmal with crayfish paste on the ferry. I used a Shrimp Lure and Halcyon and cancelled !!! which were Tuna (or Ryugu Titans lol) that could snap the rod. I also found despite it being the more boring of the two that I made a lot more money for the time spent standing around the lake in SSG. You can run Norg Shells to the Bastok AH there for some extra money too. Or just get one and auto-release the rest.

Getting to ~10 or so on something like Yellow Globes or Moat Carp might also be an alternative if Nebs are hard to reel in.

Stage 1: Istiridye
    Fishing Levels: 0-53
    Bait: Robber Rig
    Again, I had terrible bite rate with these in Nashmau and tried Shall Shells in Buburimu with similar results. I may have been using a Rogue Rig, but own one of both now, so I don't remember for sure.

After doing Nebs for quite a while I bought a Lu's at this point in the 30s which opens up lots of possibilities. If you get all the way to the 30s (which is way farther than most people) and are liking fishing it's probably worth it to pick one up. Especially if you have Cooking leveled since you can make a killing off sushi. Lu's + Minnow in North Qufim is pretty nice. There's Rusty shit and Cobalt Jellyfish (both lame), Gigant Squid (surprisingly easy to pull in 60 levels under its cap), and Bluetail (which are fuckers to reel in, but cap at 55, and good for Bluetail Slices for the Ferry).

If you switch back and forth between N. Qufim and the Ferry using Bluetail Slices for the Ferry you can get Marlins for the Chart quests. The 100% drop Albatross Ring has made Talacca Cove fishing SOOOOOOO much easier for me.

Stage 2: Mercanbaligi & Ahtapot
    Fishing Levels: 53-90
    This is where I'm at now and it's slow but steady. I'm using Lu's and an Albatross Ring (because I suck ) and can get Dils to make Sole Sushi with too. I'd find a Chef to sell the Dils to at a discount over Black Sole if you don't have Cooking, but have Lu's.

So that's my input!

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Can someone comment on catch rates and skill up for

1) Cave Cherax
    vs
    2) Armored Pisces
    vs
    3) Pterygotus

I have heard a few comments maybe Armored Pisces has the best bite rate. I have tried Cave Cherax with meat ball in Kuftal, not a great catch rate. I believe Pterygotus with lug worm is better, which I have also tried. I have tried AP but that was long ago, i don't remember what the catch rate was like.

Also what's your opinion on skillup rates for these? Whats the best? TIA.

Currently 97.4 + apron and wader + ww80.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    I recommend you do Cave Cherax in QCS (Fountain of Kings)
    Those will give you +0.3 from time to time.

As per the contest, Giant Chirai in Ragnarok. Only 27 people participated. O_o!

I didn't since I am 100 but may try next contest for the title.

Crossing fingers for a Cave Cherax contest.

I have a smallest of [121] Wiki says smallest is [122]
    Biggest, I have a [233] and wiki says the biggest is [226]

Proving wiki is wrong, priceless, else, MasterCard.

Is there a recommended range of levels to use Pelican Ring or just whenever you feel like it?

Fishing Guru
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by evilpaul View Post
    edit: A few comments on the 1-100 guide based on my experience going there thus far...
    It could have just been bad luck, but my bite rate was abysmal with crayfish paste on the ferry. I used a Shrimp Lure and Halcyon and cancelled !!! which were Tuna (or Ryugu Titans lol) that could snap the rod. I also found despite it being the more boring of the two that I made a lot more money for the time spent standing around the lake in SSG. You can run Norg Shells to the Bastok AH there for some extra money too. Or just get one and auto-release the rest.

Getting to ~10 or so on something like Yellow Globes or Moat Carp might also be an alternative if Nebs are hard to reel in.
    Missed this further down "***ADDITIONAL NOTE: I've heard Nebs dont bite very well until around 15, so it may be best to just do moats from 0-11." . Also, the point of that guide was to be Nash only. So ya there are plenty of other options out there. I was just attempting to create a simple Nash only guide for people who didnt want to travel or pick up a variety of baits.

Fishing Guru
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Suit and Tie View Post
    Is there a recommended range of levels to use Pelican Ring or just whenever you feel like it?
    I say as soon as u get it start spamming it. Faster you skill up the faster u get to higher Gil ranges. Also u can get a new one in 4 weeks anyways.once u fish with a pelican's ring I'll wonder why you ever bothered fishing without one lol. Phone posting ignore any errors or idiotic shorthannd

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Lightbringer

Quote Originally Posted by cdgreg View Post
    I say as soon as u get it start spamming it. Faster you skill up the faster u get to higher Gil ranges. Also u can get a new one in 4 weeks anyways.once u fish with a pelican's ring I'll wonder why you ever bothered fishing without one lol. Phone posting ignore any errors or idiotic shorthannd
    I can second this. The only time I don't use the ring is if I happen to be fishing something that can skill me up but isn't my intent (like a GP fish where I only need 4 of them). If I get a bonus skillup I am pleasantly surprised, but I don;t feel it is worth the wasted charge.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Yay I came in 11th place. Biggest Lik

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by cdgreg View Post
    ***ADDITIONAL NOTE: I've heard Nebs dont bite very well until around 15, so it may be best to just do moats from 0-11.
    I did nebs in SSG 0-27 and the bite rate on them is ok, but it definitely picks up around 15, you start getting less jellyfish/kelp hooks and more nebs. If I could go back and do it over again I'd definitely just do Nashmau 0-53 on Istiridye since my bone mule can make $$$ off of them and they're easy to catch.