+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Shallow and Pedantic
    BG Level

Obama's get rich quick scheme: Adopting a VAT Tax.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...032502406.html

We are now $8 trillion in debt. The Congressional Budget Office projects that $12 trillion will be added over the next decade. Obamacare, when stripped of its budgetary gimmicks -- the unfunded $200 billion-plus "doctor fix," the double counting of Medicare cuts, the 10-6 sleight-of-hand (counting 10 years of revenue and only six years of outflows) -- is at minimum a $2 trillion new entitlement.
    That's where the value-added tax comes in. For the politician, it has the virtue of expediency: People are used to sales taxes, and this one produces a river of revenue. Every 1 percent of VAT would yield up to $1 trillion a decade (depending on what you exclude -- if you exempt food, for example, the yield would be more like $900 billion).

It's the ultimate cash cow. Obama will need it. By introducing universal health care, he has pulled off the largest expansion of the welfare state in four decades. And the most expensive. Which is why all of the European Union has the VAT. Huge VATs. Germany: 19 percent. France and Italy: 20 percent. Most of Scandinavia: 25 percent.

As a substitute for the income tax, the VAT would be a splendid idea. Taxing consumption makes infinitely more sense than taxing work. But to feed the liberal social-democratic project, the VAT must be added on top of the income tax.
    Not to mention we're seeing an increase in taxes Jan 1st so say peace to 75-125$ EACH paycheck. Your government at its finest.

In my own words:

Let's put it this way, the U.S is trying to pass a bill that would impose the tax, "Value Added Tax", which means; Instead of paying your normal sales tax, you now pay another tax on top, for example. You go to Kohl's and buy a plain white ...t-shirt for 10 bucks, get your normal 6% increase, that is 10.60. Well you buy the same white T shirt with a symbol of a skull on it for 15 bucks, + 6%, which is about .70 cents. Well now that you bought something with added value, you can now face up to another 20% tax to your item, making your item worth 18.70 to buy instead of just 15.70. This applies to EVERYTHING that that comes plain, and has something that would add value.

Another example: Going to a restaurant, buying meatloaf with mashed potatoes with nothing on it, you would pay your normal 10 bucks, + food tax w/o a VAT tax. If you add gravy to your mashed potatoes, you now pay the food tax PLUS the 10-20% VAT tax for added value to your potatoes. America.... at it's finest.

TLDR: Economy sucks, let's adopt another way to squeeze money out of America, and fuck over small businesses, as well as every American.

Shallow and Pedantic
    BG Level

On the bright side, this could solve childhood and adult obesity. You might be less likely to get gravy on those tatoes knowing you will get hit with a VAC tax....lol

The Sig...
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Yeah lets stay in debt yo

Plus, who the fuck is buying a plain white shirt for $10? This isn't American Apparel

Shallow and Pedantic
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ohemgee View Post
    Yeah lets stay in debt yo

Plus, who the fuck is buying a plain white shirt for $10? This isn't American Apparel
    10 bucks, makes for simple math example yo. Yeah, i know...

I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

BG Level

It's either the economy or the debt. Try to spend to promote economic activity; some conservative fag bitches.

Try to raise taxes to decrease debt; some conservative fag bitches.

I would prefer option A, but that conservative fag is still gonna bitch.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

This tax will simply encourage everyone to pick up a crafting skill and...

Wait, sorry. Wrong thread.

@Kuno: Not if the president were a Conservative. That conservative fag would simply preach about how the president espouses his "core values" and is "cleaning up the mess" that the democrat before him made.

You know, like throughout the entirety of Modern U.S. history.

Shallow and Pedantic
    BG Level

I wouldn't mind this tax, if we tossed Income tax like Portugal. Another side note it will create thousands of new jobs for people going around enforcing this tax and making sure people abide by it, and register it etc etc..

The Sig...
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Canada recently merged their Province / Government taxes together, so everything they pay for is 15%

Its kind of meh in the short run (maybe the first two or three months) but people adjusted.

And life moved on.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

So they just 'came out' of a recession and they want to force another one? Basic macro.

Banned.
    Account locked at request of user.

BG Level

if I have to visit the ATM machine to pay this VAT tax I'm going to give someone the HIV virus

Shallow and Pedantic
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Priran View Post
    if I have to visit the ATM machine to pay this VAT tax I'm going to give someone the HIV virus
    Just make sure you don't get a lolipop from the service clerk inside, instead of 20 bucks, you might only get 18 dollars.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post
    It's either the economy or the debt. Try to spend to promote economic activity; some conservative fag bitches.
    What do you call it when you spend to try and promote economic activity, and it doesn't even promote the drive-in guy at McDonalds?

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Bingbong View Post
    What do you call it when you spend to try and promote economic activity, and it doesn't even promote the drive-in guy at McDonalds?
    I call it the Military Industrial Complex

BG Level

I kid. You get a lot of economic activity from making bases and promoting warfare. So don't mind me being all facetious.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

You conveniently left out the fact that practically every 1st world country in the world has some form of a VAT tax. You acting like this is an "America at it's finest" moment is pure bullshit.

Also, the VAT tax is imposed on every level on the economy, not just the consumer. This article: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503983_1...18-503983.html is a good explanation.

To paraphrase:

Selling raw materials, during manufacturing, selling to stores, purchased by the customer... each stage of that gets taxed. That's why it's such a money-whore.

This isn't a Republican/Democrat thing. Spending was out of control long before Obama took office. There are three remedies:

1) Stop spending
    2) Tax the Rich more
    3) VAT Tax or similar form of massive increased revenue

1 isn't happening, neither is 2. If you can think of another way to balance government income with spending, go for it. It also doesn't mean low income people get screwed, they could eliminate income tax for people who don't make a lot of money when/if they add the VAT tax to lessen the blow, and still make a shitton of money. Lower/middle class gets a bigger paycheck and it promotes saving and spending wisely. It's not the worst thing in the world, you know.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Taxes are good. More money for schools and less fucktards in future generations? Tax me whatever the fuck you want to.

It's about long-term people. This generation, just as no generation before has been, is not the be-all and end all of humanity. Our only purpose on this planet is to make the world a better place for those who come after us. Everything else is secondary.

tl;dr suck it the fuck up.

Shallow and Pedantic
    BG Level

It is America at it's finest, we get raped by taxes. When you work 40 hours at 10/h, and only see 275ish bucks in your paycheck as a full-time student, you get pissed. Now with increased taxes at the beginning of the year, and another tax ontop of our sales taxes, why not donate all of your check to the government and just skip all the B.S

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Uh, the article--er, editorial column doesn't show any evidence that a VAT proposal is coming, and there have been a lot of news cycles this midterm elections season that aren't covering the possibility of a VAT. Is the article full of shit and fear mongering or is there some actual substance behind the claims?

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Cephius View Post
    To paraphrase:

Selling raw materials, during manufacturing, selling to stores, purchased by the customer... each stage of that gets taxed. That's why it's such a money-whore.
    Wouldn't that just encourage companies to outsource further to help maintain profits?

This isnt going so well guys.
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Going to have to agree, the increase in taxes doesn't bother me at all. Op sounds misinformed if the best he can come up with is a t-shirt example. RABBLE RABBLE I'M MAYAD BECAUSE I'M MAYAD HURR DURR MAKING UP A SITUATION WHICH LEAVES OUT OTHER STEPS TO MAKE IT SOUND WORSE THAN IT REALLY IS.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast