1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 17 hours, 49 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 6 hours, 10 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 10 hours, 49 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 23 hours, 10 minutes
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: GTX 560 Issues     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Dragoon Princess
    My Little Ixion

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaiyoko Star
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith
    WoW Realm
    Destromath

GTX 560 Issues

I just built a new computer last week and I've been having some issues with it running FFXIV. I'm assuming it's a problem with the new GTX 560 2gb VRAM that I have considering people have had a hard time in the past with new cards and XIV.

System Specs
    AMD FX-8120 Eight Core
    GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi) 2GB
    CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3

I'm able to run XIV at the least, but I'm getting very odd FPS drops. In town I realize it should be lower around 30 FPS, and outside I get 60 FPS. The problem is very randomly the FPS will spike down to 5-10 FPS for no reason from 30~60 FPS. There doesn't event need to be a lot of activity on the screen. It will just drop randomly.

The current setting I have which seem low for my system is....
    Windowed
    Resolution: 1920 x 1080
    Multisampling: No AA
    General Drawing Quality: 8 ( standard )
    Background Drawing Quality: 3 ( standard )
    Shadows : Standard

No AO
    No Depth of Field
    Texture Quality: Standard
    Texture Filtering: Standard

The few things I've tried which I've seen on BG is using updated Nvidia drivers, Game Window Relocator, playing in Full Screen, forcing 30 FPS, updating Realtek drivers, and turning down some of the nividia control panel settings.

Anything else I should try?

Dragoon Princess
    My Little Ixion

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaiyoko Star
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith
    WoW Realm
    Destromath

I've now switched my old card and new card in and it still has the same random FPS drops. I put the new card in my old computer and my old computer does not have the same FPS drops and the FPS is actually better and has high settings. Is this an issue with the processor, motherboard, or ram? Those are the only things i can think it would be now.

I too have a 560 and I do also get this "issue" from time to time. It will usually happen maybe when I log in into town and try moving around, or teleporting into town and moving outside. I think I've chucked it to being party of shitty game data structuring. It happened with my 9800 GT and now with my 560 on the same rig. I've tried looking into the possibility of write/read speeds of the hard drive I have XIV installed on, but I'm not sure anymore. If I had the possibility of purchasing a new HD it would be nice to test, this one is close to full @8GB left out of 80. (lol I do have other hard drives, SSD for OS, 160 & 180 for storage)

i7 920 @3.0
    6GB Patriot Tri Channel
    Asus P6T Deluxe V2

-All XIV settings at max but (General? Background) that is at start, no Ambient Occlusion, no DoF.
    -Nvidia Control Panel set to Application-Controlled

I do remember reading a couple of times that the way SE structures their dat files is a terrible idea, making your hard drive constantly look small bits of data. Whereas other games have a couple of GB sized game data files.

Dragoon Princess
    My Little Ixion

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaiyoko Star
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith
    WoW Realm
    Destromath

Well the exact same thing happens in other games I've been playing (Tera, LoL, Battlefield 3). Which is the only reason I don't think it's just an issue with XIV. I've turned settings down to low on all of them and still receive the drops about every 30 sec for 3-5 sec.

I just had it happen while on the way to Airship dock in LL, and while walking down the main stairs in Uldah. My GPU usage went down to 15% or so, jittering up and down for a couple of seconds, this can be said the same about the FPS drop I'm sure. Of course I also mentioned this happened to me too with my 9800 GT, so I do not suspect its the hardware itself, and very little suspect that it might be drivers.

Crackodactyl
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I have a 560ti superclocked FTW. Besides that I only have a shitty micro atx board, amd athlon II x4 2.9ghz and 4 gigs of low rate ram. Recently got a new PSU that fixed some problems, read further down.

And yet I can run XIV at 1080p (windowed, hex edited config to fit to screen above start bar), 16xQ CSAA, 8 general drawing, max background, max shadowing, max textures and max texture filtering at usually well over 30 fps even in crowds and black shroud. However the second I turn on AO or DoF gpu usage jumps up from like 50 to 99% and temp goes from 70 up to like 88. DoF doesn't have any FPS drops, but AO does. There is really really bad optimization for this game.... I actually noticed LESS GPU usage and LOWER temps the higher I raised the multisampling. Past 8 general drawing is near useless visually but takes huge performance hits. I had random crashes and higher temps and worse FPS until I got a new PSU, which is a thermaltake 750w modular. Didn't see either of you list your PSU, which really can have an impact on preformance in XIV with this card series.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Quote Originally Posted by Asai View Post
    I actually noticed LESS GPU usage and LOWER temps the higher I raised the multisampling.
    Funny you should say that. My game will actually crash when multisampling is turned off. I use a GeForce 250M.

You should definitely use some amount of multisampling, but I don't think it'll fix your FPS drops.

Yes General Drawing Quality should never be past Standard - 8. Only reason I do not constantly use DoF is personal preference, but as stated AO just rips shit no matter what rig your using. With a 700W +80 Gold Certified PSU, I never fathomed it would factor into anything we're experiencing.

The hit in FPS only happens On Occasion, sometimes it doesn't even happen under the same circumstances; Sporadic drop in both FPS and GPU usage (based off MSI Afterburner tests.) This has lead me to believe it has to do with Hard Drive volume and the file distribution used by SE. If I'm wrong and someone knows the exact answer, please enlighten me. But up till now I do not believe there is a real fix to this issue. I've asked several people in my LS and they too have this issue happen on occasion, and none of us share rig specs.

Dragoon Princess
    My Little Ixion

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaiyoko Star
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith
    WoW Realm
    Destromath

I ended up fixing it. When I got my new Processor I bought it combo'd w/ a motherboard expecting them to be fully compatible. They did "work" together enough to run the computer however the motherboard was bottle necking the processor. Got a new motherboard that is 100% compatible and now I have no issue in any game. Running XIV full setting besides AO and DoF.