+ Reply to Thread
    wotg torrent kitty :3
    BG Level

QuadStick: A Game Controller for Quadriplegics

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-quadriplegics

A mouth and voice operated game controller, mouse, and keyboard to assist a disabled gamer in playing games on the PS3, PC or Android
    Stumbled upon this and although I luckily don't have any use for it and it's already funded, I think it's still worth backing the idea. It seems like there doesn't anything alike exist yet and maybe it draws enough attention to get Sony/MS thinking about disabled gamers / direct support for specific 3rd party hardware.

Banned.

BG Level

I think its a terrible idea from a multiplayer standpoint (who wants a cripple on his team), bad enough dealing with retards.

I do, however, approve from a technological and even medical standpoint, anything that can help people (disabled or not) do stuff is a step closer to the chairs in UP.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

with enough practice i doubt you'd be able to tell the difference between someone using this and someone using a normal controller. The mouth is just as dextrous as the hands.

the only thing about this that i'm not sure would work well is the varying levels of breath sensitivity. i kinda get the feeling it'd be too finicky, but then, i've never used breath controls for anything. i think i'd prefer small pad with buttons or switches on it you could operate with your tongue, but, again, idk the day-to-day realities of mouth controls.

my friend has cerebral palsy and the only thing he can't do are really rapid button presses like chainsaw duels in Gears. Or, at least, that used to be the case. He broke his back and is still recovering, so dunno how his dexterity is now. Gonna try to visit him this summer, see how he's doing. Hopefully he'll get his full dexterity back, but if not... this might be a decent alternative.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

I used an eye camera before to play a rally racing game of some form that was fairly modern, I forget the name though (2012 date). It was a proto type, but to accelerate the car you have to look slightly above the "centre" of the screen and to turn you have to look left/right, and look below the centre to brake. Though I successfully went around the track without incident (my friends were not so fortunate), it was a massive strain on the eye to balance the car and not make sudden move. It took a few seconds for me to work out the sensitivity to drive properly, but it's definitely hard work.

At the "stand" of this games expo, there was an actual patient, bed ridden, playing Portal 2 like a pro using his eyes only. Although I felt sorry for him at that point as he was essentially forced to play all day while lying down -- unfortunately I couldn't speak to him as it was so loud and I could barely hear him.

I think its a terrible idea from a multiplayer standpoint (who wants a cripple on his team), bad enough dealing with retards.
    If things are that bad for them and they require such a controller to play, I don't think this is an issue; they got far better things to be concerned about than to hop online to play with others for any serious game. Likewise, assuming the patient is mentally disabled in some form, I doubt such a person would be concerned with playing such gamess. Think along the lines of more simple stuff or casual games.

Looking at the diagram of this controller, it sure is complex; I was trying out some of the suggested actions and my lips felt a bit numb O_o'

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tajin View Post
    Dunno, this guy plays LoL pretty well without his hands and controlling play almost entirely with two stumps and a pen in his mouth.

Banned.

BG Level

I was joking there >_>

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tajin View Post
    Mazmaz of Spam
    Ah shit didn't notice, my bad.