+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Salvage Bans
    BG Level

A Few Army Reserve questions

A buddy of mine joined up for the reserve army and he's going to enter bootcamp soon and there's a few questions I have while he's in the boot camp:
    1. Do you need money while you're in boot camp (4-5 month-ish i think)
    2. In the case that he does need money, how do you send someone who's in bootcamp money? Even if that's possible, What form of currency do they accept? Cash? Check? Money Order?
    3. Once boot camp start, do they get any day off (weekend?)
    4. Is the use of cellphone or any other communication allowed?

Black Guy from Predator.
    Uppity Negro
    Secret Admin

The Immortal Bill Duke

BG Level

boot is 12 weeks for them, i believe. he wont need extra money, the shit he NEEDS is provided. no days off, except maybe holiday routine on sundays. they go to church, maybe get some newspapers read, open mail. your friend is going to military training, you THINK theyll let him keep a cellphone? no.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Ah i see..and most of the stuff that he needs will be deduct from his pay check right?

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Nah he'll be provided everything, courtesy of Uncle Sam. Only shit he'll need to buy is toiletries every now and then.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

lol i see. Thank you!

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Do they get issue a debit card to pay for shit like that though? or they gotta use cash?

the elephant whisperer
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

They give 'em a little debit card deal. They get shit free now? Shit came out of my money back when I joined. lol

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

the air force is still flying aircraft manufactured in the 50s so im gonna go ahead and guess he has to pay for that shit himself.

edit: oh snap, progress

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by noblemountain View Post
    They give 'em a little debit card deal. They get shit free now? Shit came out of my money back when I joined. lol
    I joined back in 02 and really only remember paying for toiletries. And the dumb eagle cash card shit everyone uses downrange to pay for haircuts.

BG's #1 Hatsune Miku fan!
    BG Level

A got a chuckle out of the cellphone thing.

I picture the Drill Sergeant's face when someone asks, "Can I bring my phone with me? I need to keep up with my Twitter feed."

Black Guy from Predator.
    Uppity Negro
    Secret Admin

The Immortal Bill Duke

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Xno Kappa View Post
    I joined back in 02 and really only remember paying for toiletries. And the dumb eagle cash card shit everyone uses downrange to pay for haircuts.
    fucking navy cash card, rofl. i think i still have mine somewhere

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Litz Zatsuza
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

My NEX card has like 18 bucks in it still. I need to drain that.

I was able to keep my wallet when I went so your friend might be straight. However like everyone said, he's not going to really need any outside money, debit cards much.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Ah i see.. Thank you for the responses! There's one last bit of question that his siblings have..If they want to send in a "care package" for him, what's usually allow? Is there a size limit? Will he get in trouble if they send in things like a small bag of chip, personal items (toothbrush,deodorant, face-wash, toothpick, toothbrush,etc..), protein bars?

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zimt Zucker
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

If you want a good idea of what's permissible and what isn't, your best bet is probably to call up the local recruiting office and talk to a recruiter about it. Most of us who were there, were there years ago. While most of it is presumably the same, memories fade, etc., blah blah.

From what I recall, all of those things are permissible (at least in Navy boot camp in 2003). The boot pushers will have a first look at it, and may give him a hard time about it ("There isn't enough for everyone?!").

The Tower
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Stromgarde Siren
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Siren

When I was in AF basic, everything in a care package gets showed off in front of all of the recruits + the drill sergeants, so make sure to include the most embarrassing thing you can think of that would slip by the filters.

Black Guy from Predator.
    Uppity Negro
    Secret Admin

The Immortal Bill Duke

BG Level

if he has hot siblings, send pics. the company will LOVE those

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

sneak a dildo into the background of one or two of the pictures.

BG Level

if he's going to army basic (reserve/guard/active doesn't really matter; i was active and we had a national guard company one bay over), unless they've completely gone and done a 180, don't send him any kind of food/snacks whatsoever. mail is fine, but pretty much anything else is just going to get trashed. after he gets out of basic and goes to AIT, it may (or may not, it depends on his MOS) get much more relaxed. the longer schools, it's a LOT more relaxed. anything to do with combat arms, not so much.

Black Guy from Predator.
    Uppity Negro
    Secret Admin

The Immortal Bill Duke

BG Level

honestly? your friend sounds like a fat patty soft bitch with all the shit youre trying to send him. its only a few months. dont send him shit, he will be fine.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

i gave my buddy a nice swiss army knife before he shipped off to basic. figured somethin small and useful like that would be appreciated. he washed out though because of a gimp foot. dunno if he still has it.