1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 23 hours, 3 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 0 hours, 56 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 16 hours, 3 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 17 hours, 56 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Reinheart's NA to JP (and vice versa hopefully) Q&A. Also including a list of useful phrases.

So I convinced Rein to do something similar to what Elmer did for us a few years back.

(insert Elmer's archive link when someone finds it for me again!)

Since 2.0 will be coming live in a few months, I thought it'd be nice to once again address any issues/ponderings/questions the NA and JP may have for each other. Rein has told me some JP have gotten used to NA players, but a lot still have hatred, and some now won't even respond to NA who talk in JP because they assume it's all copy pasted.

So, please post any questions you have for the JP players for this time around. Hopefully things related to how we can help continue to lessen the gap since they aren't doing regional servers it looks like.

Feel free to add in a silly question, too (ultramarine~). Let's hopefully make this informative for all!

Also, Rein compiled a list forever ago with some na/jp phrases not found in the auto-translate functions found here (includes ff14 place names):

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...&rm=full#gid=2

If there is anything you feel he should add lemme know (though may not add if already in the current auto-translate database.)

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Stanislaw Ziolkowski
    FFXIV Server
    Durandal

Not to spoil the party or anything, but I could've done something similar for you all, as I'm Japanese myself. =P

The Once and Future Wamoura
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

NO MAN ONLY REINHEART SPEAKS JP

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Couple of mistakes in the romaji (ie #18 deimasenka -> dekimasenka, #21 konichiwa-> konnichiwa, #32 sublgar-> subligar, #46 daijioubu -> daijyoubu, #2 also missing the u in daijyoubu). Will look over again when not about to go to bed.

F5 Like A Boss.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuroki Kaze
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Twisting Nether

Not to also ruin the part but regional servers are coming in Phase 3. But yeah this is cool. lol

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Stanislaw View Post
    Not to spoil the party or anything, but I could've done something similar for you all, as I'm Japanese myself. =P
    Your my personal JP translator

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

A lot of people could have. But you never set one up, so?

Quote Originally Posted by iulus View Post
    Couple of mistakes in the romaji (ie #18 deimasenka -> dekimasenka, #21 konichiwa-> konnichiwa, #32 sublgar-> subligar, #46 daijioubu -> daijyoubu, #2 also missing the u in daijyoubu). Will look over again when not about to go to bed.
    will pass it on, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Kurokikaze View Post
    Not to also ruin the part but regional servers are coming in Phase 3. But yeah this is cool. lol
    If people don't think it's worth it we can pass on it. It's something I've mentioned wanting to do a few times in the past years but could never do myself. Even with regional I think it's a nice opportunity. But ya, if people don't have questions will pass on it.

Pass. Only weaboos will play on JP/Global servers.

Now that I've spent 10 seconds reflecting, I'm sure it's applicable here.

I'd like to know why JP were such bitches over the examine feature in XI and why they just didn't use the check filter.

What cultural norm am I missing that requires you to ask one's permission to look at their virtual character's gear? And will they still expect adherence to this in XIV despite their not being a message regarding examine?

And yes, I am aware on the JP end in XI they saw "...stares intently". It still doesn't explain the ragefests I encountered spanning from angry tells to mpk before the mpk patch.

filthy liars!
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deuce Angaar
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

You just answered your own question. It's how their culture is and they view "staring" as incredibly rude and offensive. Different strokes for different folks really. So, it is what it is and there's really nothing you can do to change it. That is unless you are able to change Japanese culture, which is highly unlikely.

As for questions of the JP community. I'd be curious about their opinions on some of the fanfare from previous FF titles that are being added to the game, i.e. Crystal Tower, Gilgamesh, etc.

Also, do they enjoy PvP or the idea of having PvP in ARR? I remember when playing XI the JP community in that game seemed a little turned off by it, but I could be wrong.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    You just answered your own question. It's how their culture is and they view "staring" as incredibly rude and offensive. Different strokes for different folks really.
    I was always told that the problem was in the way that the 'you were examined' was phrased in Japanese, implying more of a stare than a simple check.

filthy liars!
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deuce Angaar
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Quote Originally Posted by Raldo View Post
    I was always told that the problem was in the way that the 'you were examined' was phrased in Japanese, implying more of a stare than a simple check.
    I believe that was the way it was phrased. Not entirely sure why it was worded that way in the Japanese version. However, I can see how "examine" might be seen as offensive. It's just that in western culture it isn't viewed that way, so to us it may seem as if it isn't that big of deal.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Raldo View Post
    Ya iirc the JP version is worded in a way that suggests like rape to them lol. "undressing you with my eyes" kind of thing.

Wild Card
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mina Pulchra
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    WoW Realm
    Hyjal
    Blog Entries

I'll -never- understand why they chose to word it that way in Japanese.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Grey Jorildyn
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

The most neglected part of that entire 'examines you.' argument is that you could filter that message in the config. I had it filtered permanently because morons would spam check you during Nidhogg fights and shit and it was annoying. Don't like something? Turn it off! Dumbass JPs.

The Tower
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Stromgarde Siren
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Between the auto-translate which was surprisingly more barren than XI's and the decision to have different NPC names for each client region, cross-language partying in XIV was a far bigger hurdle than it was in XI.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Stanislaw Ziolkowski
    FFXIV Server
    Durandal

Quote Originally Posted by Stromgarde View Post
    Between the auto-translate which was surprisingly more barren than XI's and the decision to have different NPC names for each client region, cross-language partying in XIV was a far bigger hurdle than it was in XI.
    This. What made it worse was that some of the abilities names players used were very different too. Us Japanese have something called the Katakana, an alphabet which nowadays is mainly used in attempt to write/pronounce English (and other foreign-origin) words under the Japanese alphabet. It's is the main reason why you see us speak those broken 'Engrish'. But in FFXIV, some of the ability names were changed entirely. For example:

Crusader Stance (Japanese) > Cleric Stance (English)
    Blood Rite (Japanese) > Sanguine Rite (English)
    etc, etc

Was pretty frustrating the time I was the in-between person in trying to coordinate both the JP and NAs into a battle strategy and the NAs had no idea what I was talking about when I mentioned such abilities and only discovered the difference later. I have a nagging suspicion that they made this change when they translated the abilities over into English because it caught the attention of them English sensors, but still silly nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by iulus View Post
    #32 sublgar-> subligar
    It's actually 'saburiga' in JP.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Was pretty frustrating the time I was the in-between person in trying to coordinate both the JP and NAs into a battle strategy and the NAs had no idea what I was talking about when I mentioned such abilities and only discovered the difference later. I have a nagging suspicion that they made this change when they translated the abilities over into English because it caught the attention of them English sensors, but still silly nonetheless.

Wouldn't that possibly have to do with the fiasco of them changing kanji to try and make an inbetween with Japanese and Chinese characters? Wasn't there some laffs over them changing the chocobo symbol to try to make it more Chinese?

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Good 'ol horsebird. People assumed it was just bad translation/localisation, but it was just supposed to represent the character(s) speaking in an extremely traditional/old tongue, which they do in text by using a lot of Kanji (Tenzen, for example, spoke like this if I recall correctly).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast