+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Pete Hoekstra, the Incredibly Racist Ad, and the Accompanying Woosh

So, Pete Hoekstra (R-MI) ran this incredibly racist ad during the Super Bowl.

If you're going to go racist, really; go for the gold man. Make her wear the hat and don some buckteeth.

Here's the accompanying website, which is... amusing. Though, from what I'm told, the characters on it are complete gibberish.

Anyway, surprising to no one, the backlash has been sharp and poignant from all sides.

Pacific Islander American Vote group’s Michigan chapter both called the ad racially insensitive. The other Republicans running for the Senate nomination said it proved that Hoekstra is not the best candidate to take on Stabenow in November. Democrats were united in their criticism and even some Republicans called the ad racist, xenophobic and “really, really dumb,” in social media postings.

The Rev. Charles Williams, pastor of the King Solomon Baptist Church in Detroit, called on Hoekstra to apologize for what he called the “racist” ad and stop running it. If he doesn’t, a group of black pastors in Detroit will begin contacting contributors to Hoekstra’s campaign and ask them to withdraw their support.

“The imagery in the ad is no different than the folks who had to put black-faced paint on and tap dance,” he said. “This whole thing makes me so sad because Hoekstra really doesn’t get it.”
    But the highlight of all of this, I think, is his response (also in the article).

But Hoekstra said the ad, which was filmed in California and featured an actress whose parents are 100% Chinese, was only insensitive to Debbie Stabenow, whom he called “Debbie Spend-it-now.”

“The Chinese benefit from the recklessness of U.S. spending. It doesn’t criticize the Chinese at all,” he said.
    I've heard jumbo jets with less of a wooshing sound.

You just got served THE CALLISTO SPECIAL
    SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

The thing I'm most confused about is a Republican saying that the free market system that allows large corporations to save money by funneling things to China is bad.

I did have to lol at how she begins the ad with a perfect American Californian accent until she finishes saying the third-grade level 'Debbie Spenditnow' line then all of a sudden she's like AWWWWW HERRROOOO WE MAKE GOOD ECONOMY FORRRUUU FIVE DORRAAARRR

Ninja Ninja
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Noemi Rondain
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I hate to admit it but I kinda laughed.

I was getting a vietnam thing from all that. CHARLIE IN THE WIRE SON

The ad just didn't seem like Super Bowl material. I wonder why the Viet chick took the job and why not a Mexican instead? The tag-line he's trying to make doesn't quite gel either. Macaca incident was funnier and viral.

If you stopped to actually learn something you might not post these uninformed posts.
    BG Level

Didn't seem racist at all to me. People too often think they can throw that word around and get their will.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I got vietnam from that too. swing and a miss on all counts

Demosthenes11

Quote Originally Posted by test123 View Post
    Didn't seem racist at all to me. People too often think they can throw that word around and get their will.
    ...you don't think a random asian speaking engrish at a rice patty talking about taking american money is racist?

Demosthenes11

It's not only that, but it's offensive that this congressfaggot thinks the people in China that are benefiting from china making money off of us are the poor farmers. Not only is it offensive and racist, it's flat out wrong.

Brown Recluse
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes11 View Post
    It's not only that, but it's offensive that this congressfaggot thinks the people in China that are benefiting from china making money off of us are the poor farmers. Not only is it offensive and racist, it's flat out wrong.
    My god this! That has to be one of the worst Political ads ever. I guess he'll get Tyven's vote.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

complaining about racism while using "faggot" in a derogatory way. oh the ironing

Demosthenes11

Quote Originally Posted by solanis View Post
    complaining about racism while using "faggot" in a derogatory way. oh the ironing

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

keep up the bro

Demosthenes11

Quote Originally Posted by solanis View Post
    keep up the bro
    quit being a faggot and go suck dicks or something

User was infracted for this post.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Isn't it true that the US govt can borrow money at sub-inflation rates right now anyway?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S 4G using Tapatalk

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

quit being a faggot and go suck dicks or something

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Tell me I wasn't the only one who thought the bitch was Mylee?

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Criticize opponent for being reckless with money.

Buy Super Bowl ad.

Okay.

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

LOL, this commerical had me burst out in laughter.

Republicans being racist? Next you'll be telling me that water is wet.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

I guess the question is - if you want to make a sarcastic commercial where a Chinese person is thanking the US government for helping china at the expense of the US - what should said Chinese person talk/look like? Should she speak the queen's english? That wouldn't make much sense. Go full-on chinese with subtitles? I guess but kinda waters down the effectiveness of the ad...