BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: RNG Bows     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

RNG Bows

I'm inexperienced with RNG and am trying to choose a bow to go for. These past few updates have added a bunch of sweet bows:

Hangaku-No-Yumi - presumably from Tenzen v2
    Falubeza - delve kitty bow
    Cibitshavore - airlixir bow

I think these are the top 3 but idk how good the augs on Bocluami +2 can get, so shoutout to that.

tl;dr which of those non-relic etc. bows is strongest? I'm inclined to favor the mega boss bow but I could see the massive DMG on Cibit making it #1.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Honestly you probably should just make a relic if you are going to be that serious about rng. I mean Cibitshavore was pretty awesome but not counting the plasm to get it just upgrading it fully was like what 25 mil in airlixers? Then let's say you finally got the boss bow and bam a few days later Hangaku-no-Yumi probably blowing those out of the water. Meanwhile yoichi/anni still pretty hot especially for the reasons you'd want to bring a rng to in the first place and full upgrade from nothing to 119 is like what 130ish mil?

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by geno3302 View Post
    why?

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus7775 View Post
    why?
    He via trying to say that Anni is the best ranged attack weapon in the game and if you want to be taken to stuff, especially PUG shout fights that want/need a Ranger, 99% of the time, Anni or Yoichi is needed.

So hard we fuck rocks
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Geno is right,

I have a 119 yoichi, and i've finally given in and i'm making a anni because it's just that good.
    I don't regret making the bow, but i see it as hybrid relic for rng's and sam's. Sam's are never gonna shoot at an event like a ranger, but it gives them a static hate piercing WS. It let's rangers do the same thing as a gun, but it's not to the same level as a gun, as far as damage goes.

If you never play SAM, make the gun.
    If you play SAM and don't mind parsing as high when you do play RNG, make the bow.
    (also, historically, bow is cheaper to make)

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Snprphnx View Post
    He via trying to say that Anni is the best ranged attack weapon in the game and if you want to be taken to stuff, especially PUG shout fights that want/need a Ranger, 99% of the time, Anni or Yoichi is needed.
    Sounds good to me, but I was asking why Anni is the best. As in, what makes Anni the best "bow"?

also relic weapons being awesome is great and all but if anyone can read/reread the OP for me and answer my question about those bows to make due with for the time being I appreciate it.

The point that Cibit is already a somewhat big plasm/gil investment is good though, makes it way less appealing as an "in the mean time" weapon.

Banned.
    Account locked at request of user.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by shepardG View Post
    (also, historically, bow is cheaper to make)
    gun has always been cheaper, by ~20 mil currently depending on how much more a goldpiece costs compared to a 10k byne

Can anyone give me a good reason as to why i shouldn't make a gastraphetes?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

The AM3 on it doesn't work on ws like other mythics nor help you get tp faster. Nor work on barrage not sure about double shot. And iirc compared to pre soa rems to now gast+best bolt has by far had the smallest dmg increase to base dmg. It theoretically might be decent if you start with am3 and just shoot zerg onto the pld or something

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

No, it's pretty much a shit weapon. There are no redeeming features. If you won a Gastra in Mog Bonanza and had the option of 99ing it or putting 3 scoria worth of gil towards Anni, you should put the gil towards Anni because Gastra is shit.

It's terrible. Horrible. Bad. Terribad.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

No idea what they were thinking with its base damage. I considered making one for all of a minute before I realized the delve crossbow is tremendously better

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Gastraphetes is not something you'd ever want to use in any real situations, sadly. The WS sucks (except for extremely limited spots where you would NOT wildfire), the base dmg sucks, and you get no help in managing your own hate. It's not just a bit bad, it really is terrible. Illapa 's base dmg of 135 makes Gastraphetes' 93 the single worst 119 weapon in the game, imo.

If you're looking for a bow to use because you want to mess around on the job, I personally like delve lion bow (Falubeza). The snapshot+ and racc+ are nice; you'll be able to punch out respectable damage vs an otherwise-poorly-geared yoichi, but you'll eventually start running into hate problems with apex arrow.

Anni's power isn't from its dmg/delay; it changes the game for RNG by providing a decent WS that generates minimal hate, regardless of damage. You can spam the hell out of coronach and never worry about moving mobs (assuming you use decoy or your pld isn't afk). The aftermath enmity- will basically ensure you're never going to be close to the top of the hate list, no matter how much damage you knock out (unless you're an idiot and open a fight with a relic proc'd barrage). With hate no longer a real concern, the job setup changes. You can stop going /nin to lots of things.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Dotsudoku View Post
    No idea what they were thinking with its base damage. I considered making one for all of a minute before I realized the delve crossbow is tremendously better
    Yeah I even made a thread about it wondering if maybe they gave it someone elses base dmg or something. And one of the devs came in and said a bunch of nothing ignoring the post more or less

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Then they promised us they would improve ele ws dmg to make trueflight suck less and nothing was ever said of it again T.T

So hard we fuck rocks
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Priran View Post
    gun has always been cheaper, by ~20 mil currently depending on how much more a goldpiece costs compared to a 10k byne
    My b ment to type gun lol

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by frodnonnag View Post
    Can anyone give me a good reason as to why i shouldn't make a gastraphetes?
    Along the same lines, any reason why everyone prefers relics to Gandiva?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

low hate ws. Not needing to maintain aftermath for the ODX

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Because Gandiva's strong point is usable on Yoich with a little bit of work.