• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

Thinking of changing phone carriers. Need advice/opinions

After dealing with AT&Ts shitty service regarding my phone calls randomly being dropped (and then tonight not being able to call anyone) I had enough and in the market for a new phone carrier. While I have seen a Verzion building or two around where I live I wanted to see what other BGers have for service and if they'd recommend it.

Also throwing this out there, I'm considering a smart phone and was curious what people think is better for a smart phone, Android or iOS phones.

Ranger
    9900klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries

I have verizon and Ive never had issues with them so it honestly depends on where youre located. Bear in mind that many providers use the same towers, so if you are going to switch itll be to someone with a completely different phone thing. Find out what your coverage map is in the area and you can find out how well things will be. I prefer android for the customization and not paying apple obnoxious amounts of money for shit. Samsung Galaxy S4 phones are 150ish on contract if you look around and they are pretty bitchin phones.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Personally, I prefer the Android platform. It's widespread, it's not beholden to a single proprietary closed box, it's more open to being played with, and it's supported by virtually every service provider out there. There's other reasons, too, including reliability: http://www.forbes.com/sites/tomioger...d-a-data-dive/

Do you have enough money to buy a phone up front, without a contract? If you do, this can save you a significant amount of money in the longrun. It will also save you from having to sign a contract, and allow using a month-to-month. That may sound intimidating if you haven't researched them, but there are plenty of modern month-to-month providers that simply piggyback off of the big boys, giving you all the service you want in a less expensive and less restrictive package.

BG Level

@Sono: Other than looking on the carrier's website, are there any good sites to find that info? Verizon seems to have some nice coverage according to their site.

@Kohan: I should have enough saved up for one. Though Verizon seems like they don't have contracts. Though that could be an easy bait-and-switch... My friend told me he uses that piggyback service provided by Wal-Mart, but I can't stand going to that shithole.

Anyway I think I might go with Android. Forgot to mention I do have an iPod Touch so I guess I kinda have an iPhone, except it's gimped.

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Verizon sucks like no one's beezwax imo.

But then I'm biased b/c my grandma was paying $200 (!) for 4 feature phones for us kids. AND they tried to get me into a new contract when I went to get a new phone (!!). Their phone service is very good (no dropped calls, etc) but I wouldn't touch them with a 30 foot pole because they tend to be slimebuckets and trick you. Mind, that was a year ago, but they want to thumbscrew you into a contract. >.<

I'd look into T-Mobile if they're in your area, they tend to be cheaper and they do not do contracts. We swapped to 'em when my gran died and we're perfectly happy with that.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Do you happen to know how much data you'll use per month, on average? Call minutes and texts are good to know too, but it's the data where you can really get hit.

BG Level

Normally not much. Just a call from here or there or texts from my co-workers/friends

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

That's calling and texting, but not data, unless you're considering photos and such. Could you explain why you want a smartphone, then? What do you plan to do with it? Do you want to use the Internet a lot while out and about? GPS and mapped routes? Or do you not really plan to use much of anything data-related at all, and use it for things like MP3s, videos, and games?

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

I'm getting ready to drop Verizon after close to a decade of use. The $100/month bill is starting to take it's toll. Not "bad" service, but I am lucky to get a bar or two at home or at work. Everywhere else it's great. I mostly stuck with them because I am eligible for their unlimited data plan, but within the last year I've mostly been using wifi and it's not worth the $30 charge. I also don't like that they only offer a 450 minute plan as their lowest talk plan and it isn't that cheap ($59.99).

I have been looking into Republic Wireless. It's a service that buys coverage from Sprint, but most of the service (including calls) is run through wifi to cut costs. The biggest downside is that you have to purchase the phone (Moto X $299 & Moto G $149). There is also an issue that they don't have short codes ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_code ) programmed in, but they claim an update is on the way. On the plus side, their plans are dirt cheap compared to the major carriers with the most expensive being $40/mo unlimited talk/text/4G service/5GB data (that's not over wifi).

Verizon was my first cell phone carrier and it's been hard to let go, but I think it's time.

If you're interested in Republic, you can find them at https://republicwireless.com/ex/

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

You can use Page Plus instead. They have month-to-month plans, and they piggyback off of Verizon, which means you can use your existing Verizon phone.

https://www.pagepluscellular.com/

I personally don't mind the small amount of data they allocate, as I, like you, don't use it. If I'm out and about, and I want to map with GPS or check my email, or do some price comparison while at a shop, I can do that—and I've never hit the 500MB cap.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kohan View Post
    That's calling and texting, but not data, unless you're considering photos and such. Could you explain why you want a smartphone, then? What do you plan to do with it? Do you want to use the Internet a lot while out and about? GPS and mapped routes? Or do you not really plan to use much of anything data-related at all, and use it for things like MP3s, videos, and games?
    While I do mostly use it for calling/texting, I was thinking of grabbing a smart phone for the internet in situations when I might have limited internet (Such as when I go on vacation next week and attempt to dodge paying my hotel for internet usage). I wasn't thinking of getting anything higher than the regular 2G plan.

Has anyone looked into or tried ting?
    https://ting.com/

It's a pay for what you use in the given month plan that I think uses Sprint's service. I ran the numbers and I'd end up spending like ~$30-40 a month, for 500minutes, ~1000 texts, and ~500MB.

Sounds like one of the best deals I've found so far, might try it once my Verizon contract is done.

I'll keep my TMobile for $50 with unlimited everything. First GB of data is 4G, go over and it caps at regular speed, no charges.

BG Level

@Kohan: Out of curiosity, if I pay up front for my phone what else would I have to be aware of in terms of costs? I know there'd be an activation fee, but anything else?

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by RKenshin View Post
    Has anyone looked into or tried ting?
    https://ting.com/

It's a pay for what you use in the given month plan that I think uses Sprint's service. I ran the numbers and I'd end up spending like ~$30-40 a month, for 500minutes, ~1000 texts, and ~500MB.

Sounds like one of the best deals I've found so far, might try it once my Verizon contract is done.
    The tiering thing seems like it could be really bad compared to typical pay as you go plans for some people. One phone call could end up costing you $3

That's potentially quite interesting though, depending on your usage.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Purrrfect Lee
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by 6souls View Post
    I'm getting ready to drop Verizon after close to a decade of use. The $100/month bill is starting to take it's toll. Not "bad" service, but I am lucky to get a bar or two at home or at work. Everywhere else it's great. I mostly stuck with them because I am eligible for their unlimited data plan, but within the last year I've mostly been using wifi and it's not worth the $30 charge. I also don't like that they only offer a 450 minute plan as their lowest talk plan and it isn't that cheap ($59.99).

I have been looking into Republic Wireless. It's a service that buys coverage from Sprint, but most of the service (including calls) is run through wifi to cut costs. The biggest downside is that you have to purchase the phone (Moto X $299 & Moto G $149). There is also an issue that they don't have short codes ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_code ) programmed in, but they claim an update is on the way. On the plus side, their plans are dirt cheap compared to the major carriers with the most expensive being $40/mo unlimited talk/text/4G service/5GB data (that's not over wifi).

Verizon was my first cell phone carrier and it's been hard to let go, but I think it's time.

If you're interested in Republic, you can find them at https://republicwireless.com/ex/
    This is the point I'm at. Verizon just seems to only give me a single bar if I'm lucky at my normal spots, despite being under "excellent" coverage. Planning on giving T-mo a shot (and really looking forward to getting a Note), at least for one phone lifespan.

Weaboo of the House of Weave
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthur Pendragon
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Carrier choice is completely circumstantial.

If you travel a lot you almost have to use AT&T or Verizon. T-Mobile and Sprint both have awful road coverage, and it's even worse if you want 3G or LTE.

AT&T probably has the best family plans right now; their 10GB shared data with unlimited other stuff is really cheap once you get up around 3-4 lines. It's like $38 a line once you have 4 of them. Of course, this is only for families.

T-Mobile's single line plans are the most economical overall.

Verizon just sucks. There's almost nothing I can say about them. They were charging me $130 a month for an old grandfathered smartphone plan with one line. If you have to have THE BEST coverage all the time, then there you go, I guess.

I know a lot of people that vouch for Ting being great, but it limits your smartphone choice a lot and Sprint's coverage is spotty.

Ze NinjaSYXX
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nitsuki Syxx
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

mind if i ask, not why you are leaving at&t, but what phone do you currently have? I have been keeping a close look at a relation with current samsung devices and the 4.4.2 update regarding not being able to get calls/text or send them, forcing you to restart your phone every time to get it to work. I've done some research and this is actually happening across all carriers who have samsungs w/ 4.4.2, not saying you should leave at&t or anything, that's totally your call, but if this is your current situation, i'd consider waiting for an update.

*edit* nvm seems like you're possibly considering your first smartphone? the above prolly does not apply to you then, lol.

My personal opinion, iphone, my reason, i see androids all the time at work and god damn those phones are beyond buggy no matter what. I love the fact that they're almost 100% customizable and don't need to jailbreak it like an iphone, but i prefer stability/reliability > a phone that can crash on you on a possible emergency situation.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syaoran Li
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

I use Republic Wireless. https://republicwireless.com/#shop

I don't use my phone a ton, but $25/month for internet wherever the Sprint network covers (think this is what they used anyways) is nice to have. Phone selection is kind of small, but if you don't care, I haven't had any problems with them so far.

Un-Rad Conrad
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by 6souls View Post

I've had Republic since January and have no complaints. I'm currently on the $10/mo wifi data/cell call & text plan, and was on $25/mo before that. No complaints and I love the service (big thing to say about a phone company). Super cheap too, especially with referral codes.

Send me a PM if you have any questions about Republic that I might be able to answer.