+ Reply to Thread

Sound toggling question...

Okay, so I run Win7 and have a monitor/speaker set up and then I have an HDMI cable that runs from my video card to my TV with both displays being separate, yet always active. The latter I generally use when watching shows and such. Of course, when I want to do this, I don't want sound coming from my PC speakers, resulting in a process where I have to manually toggle the default playback device between them and the TV.

Basically, I'm looking for some kind of script or program that can just do this in one click, no fuss. Suggestions?

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

It's not difficult at all to do this with Windows 7. You can either search for "Sound" in the start menu or create a shortcut to it from the Control Panel on your desktop/taskbar/whereever. From the playback tab in the sound menu you can just select your speakers or TV, then Set Default to toggle them back and forth.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Niya Kouya
    FFXIV Server
    Odin

SetDefaultAudioEndpoint might be an option for you. Can be scripted and should work fine, let me just note that I haven't tried it out (my laptop only has one playback/recording device each...).
    This stackoverflow thread lists a few more options including nirCMD and an AutoHotkey script.

Quote Originally Posted by Totien View Post
    It's not difficult at all to do this with Windows 7. You can either search for "Sound" in the start menu or create a shortcut to it from the Control Panel on your desktop/taskbar/whereever. From the playback tab in the sound menu you can just select your speakers or TV, then Set Default to toggle them back and forth.
    What I'm basically doing now. Was just hoping for a lazy one button fix or something instead of pulling up the menu every time.

I'll try to look into what Niya mentioned later, though.