1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 17 hours, 5 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 6 hours, 54 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 6 days, 10 hours, 5 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in -1 hours, -6 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Chocobo Racing     submit to reddit submit to twitter

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Chocobo Racing

TBH, this is pretty straight forward stuff, but discuss away.

Very similiar to FF7 racing/breeding, it seems some of the stuff is craftable, so thats cool.

Very addicitive.

Doesnt seem like I race against a lot of humans, mostly NPCs. Start racing in the 2nd cup as soon as you can hold your ground (Rank10 prob).

This is my guy after a couple of hours. Did speed training II twice.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Edit: Posting all of my compiled information here. Someone can clean things up later if they want. I ain't no mod.

Food:

Grade 1: 1% stat cap. Craftable, purchasable with gil in bentbranch. Far left side of the stables.
    Grade 2: 2% stat cap. Craftable, purchasble with MGP.
    Grade 3: 3% stat cap. Only purchasable with MGP.

Any additional points granted is based on a rolling curve of the stat cap. Confirmed by reddit.

Pedigree and Rating effects:

Each grade of pedigree increases base stat caps by 40. Your chocobo's rating is determined by a combination of pedigree, max stat caps and attribute stars.

Attribute star ratings:

Each star adds another 40 to the base stat cap.

Obstacle types:
    Credit to Seravi and others for help.

Cactuar (Sagoli): R60 - Paces left to right. Stamina loss.
    Mandragora (Tranquil): R60 - Stationary, hard to see. Stamina loss.
    Jellyfish (Costa): R60 Paces left to right. Inflicts 10 seconds of distract/silence.
    Imp(Tranquil): R80 - harmless unless you possess an item. Will move left and right to attempt to contact and will steal your current item.
    Colibri (Costa): R80 - attempts to a super fast drive-by at pre-set positions on the map. Unknown effect if hit.
    Colbryn (Sagoli): R80 - stands stationary, but explodes upon contact, draining stamina. Cannot jump over.
    Malboro (Tranquil) R100 - Stationary, wide conal bad breath. DO NOT TOUCH.
    Gobbue (Costa): R100 - Stationary, circular DOT field effect, sneeze. Unknown debuff as I'm not stupid enough to drive over it, lol.
    Pieste (Sagoli: R100 - Stationary, conal AOE paralyze eye. Inflicts 10 seconds of distract/silence.

Race Circuits:

Confirmed up to R240 bracket. The R120 bracket changes up trap/boost/box positioning heavily. R240 turns things into essentially Mario Kart. Joe from FFVII confirmed at low % at R220 bracket.

R Champions/Rivals:

Starting at the R80 bracket, each bracket has a "Champion" or rival NPC who has a custom barding (Dragoon Barding seems common) and usually boasts a combination of impressive stats and skills. These NPCs -will- kick your ass until you're very good at racing, and often times even then due to the random and chaotic nature of the races.
    R80: Speed Racer: Male in a nice leather outfit, sporting a Dragoon Barding. Comes equipped with high speed (duh), low stamina, but the OP combo of Head Start + Choco Dash (rank is unconfirmed). Races better in dry weather.
    R100: Silly Rabbit: Female in a bunny outfit, sporting a white chocobo with Dragoon barding. Comes equipped with high stats all-around, choco silence, choco steal and is very aggressive, but burns through her stamina. Races best in wet weather. Heavy rain = dangerous.[B]
    R120: Easy Rider: Roe Male not wearing much but sporting a bitchin chocobo with a Setzer gambling barding. You heard me. Has Choco Cure II and Choco Dash I.
    R140: Nophica's Bounty: Mancat wearing augmented armor and riding a green choco with Whm barding. Has Choco Ease. This dude is fast. Really fast.
    R160: Without Fail: An Armored Lala on an armored chocobo.
    R180: Ser Winsalot: A Male Elf with agumented caster gear riding atop a dark blue chocobo with full Shiva barding. About as good as you'd expect from the name. Has Choco Shock II and Choco Silence II. Pray he runs out of stamina.
    R200: Moon Sailor: A Female Hyur in a Sailor Fuku. Has Choco Steal and is a total bitch. Loves to grab anything you have and use it against you.
    R220: Toho Fuhai: Joe on the legendary black chocobo(??) Has Choco Dash III and Head Start II. Faster than you, and with better Stamina to boot. You'll beat him only if you can outlast his stamina. Good Luck.
    R300: Teioh: Revenge of Joe. The true legendary black chocobo in a ***** barding, all the dairy in the world won't help you cheese this race. Unless you've got nearly maxed stats in some areas, you can give up trying to beat him.

Items:

Caltrops: Seems to be 10% per tic you're stuck in them, for a max of 30% for all tic. Several items nullify the effect through different means. Hero tonic/stamina booster/sprint shoes/choco dash negate it entirely. Choco potion can override the stamina drain if applied immediately after being hit (latency plays a factor here).
    Hero Tonic: A starman or cocaine for birds. Take your pick. Eyeballing it looks like it doubles all attributes and provides immunity to all debuffs (I haven't tested meteor yet). Lasts about 15 seconds. Unable to be targeted by choco meteor. Useless at 0% stamina.
    Stamina tablet: Grants immunity to stamina drain of any kind for 10 seconds. Useless at 0% stamina.
    Choco Meteor: Summons a flaming rock to hit everyone in front of you. Deals heavy stamina (20-30%?) and negates all speed bonuses for 10 seconds.
    Sprint Shoes: A choco dash. I cannot tell if it is a 1 or 2 second dash, but stamina does not drain while dashing, leading to a roughly 4% stamina net gain per use. Negates caltrops when used at the same time. Dash through, but be sure not to get body blocked. Once the stamina drain begins again, you will be hit by caltrops.

Misc:

-A chocobo has 3 preferred attributes that it gains additional stats into upon leveling up. These are independent on star ratings of attributes, as they only affect max stat caps and feeding bonuses. A 1 star speed chocobo may still favor speed as a preferred stat, simply with a lower max stat cap than other attributes.

-If you have the stamina/endurance for it, Head Start is an excellent trait. It instantly put you at max speed at the start of a race, but since you're instantly there, your stamina drain is instantly bleeding. A better choice for stamina-deprived birds is Choco Dash, which is a net GAIN in stamina since dashing removes stamina penalties entirely during the course of the dash, and is refreshable during the race. If you have both... you will win many races.

-Item Boxes and missing: A lot of people wonder why they "drove through" an item box but never actually received the item. The reasoning for this is complex, but sensible. Allow me to explain. Every item box is pre-set in a specific spot on the track. These spots do not move, although they have a slightly randomized spawn time. Break each track down to a series of invisible "lanes" (much like in real life horse racing, though those lanes are easily discerned by the way the dirt has raised lines within it), that can spread from what appears to be as narrow as 3-4 (on tight bridges or narrow pathways) to as many as 8 or more (the starting position naturally has 1 lane for each chocobo, which quickly narrows or very wide open stretches of track). If you "passed through" a box without receiving the item, you crossed from the lane the box exists in to a lane beside the box, and, being the MMO that it is, the lane change data was sent shortly before the graphic of your character's position on the track was updated. This can happen just as easily when narrowly avoiding a stage hazard while appearing to pass through it - you simply changed lanes at the last minute and your character's avatar didn't move on screen as fast as the data was sent.

The "trick" to ensure this doesn't happen frequently is to learn each lane that each box spawns in, and learn how the lane lines shift so that you aren't accidentally changing lanes because you thought one would naturally drive straight into a box. Some lanes naturally curve a bit, and seeing that 10 feet in front of a box may convince you that you'll miss it if you stay in lane, but this isn't the case. Dedicate a few races to ignoring place positioning and instead, simply drive straight once you've affixed yourself to a lane. Practice lining up ahead of time and not moving around the box and you'd be surprised how many you'll hit. Once you learn where each box is, you can then fake people out behind you, appearing to grab a crappy item from a box while dodging it at the last minute, passing "through" the box while not picking it up and leaving a shitty item for the opponent behind you.

I presume its a system that works much like every other hit check in the game. The data is sent/received/verified far faster than the graphic on screen, just like when we avoid an AOE by moving out of the orange, then run right back into it, graphically get our faces blown off by whatever explosion it was, yet took 0 damage.

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

Only thing that's tricky is getting used to turning.

Also, can you color your racing chocobo? Or is that something only NPCs have the ability to do?

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

I haven't seen anything regarding coloring options; maybe we get them from breeding?

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sukimin Yakumo
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Quote Originally Posted by Lucavi View Post
    I haven't seen anything regarding coloring options; maybe we get them from breeding?
    Yeah, I think so. The thing that was talking about breeding new chocos says that the baby inherits color from one of the parents.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Feels like I'm always ending races with 10% stamina left over, like I need to tax my bird a little more

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Keep in mind you can buy tier 1 training session "feed" from Bentbranch for gil instead of for MGP. Probably good for your first bird.

Edit: And the tier 1 (30) and tier 2 (2star) are CUL craftable.

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Seravi Edalborez View Post
    Keep in mind you can buy tier 1 training session "feed" from Bentbranch for gil instead of for MGP. Probably good for your first bird.

Edit: And the tier 1 (30) and tier 2 (2star) are CUL craftable.
    Oh Seravi, I got some orders for j00~

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

This is too damn addicting

Feels like I'm always ending races with 10% stamina left over, like I need to tax my bird a little more
    There is a bit of strategy involve in how you want to spend your stamina, obviously keeping your sprint going as long as possible returns the best outcome but keeping some in reserve for when you finish the race is super important incase someone hits you with patch or frenzies you, it's good to have stamina to fall back on and ending a race with 10%+ isn't terrible, I've been ending my races with near 40% stamina left and saving my abilities for the last push if I need to pull ahead of someone gaining on me, just an added fuck you .

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Confirmed that choco colors come from breeding. I know a few cats that grinded last night and have tropical birds now.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

I do like that, as much as you're at the whims of the RNG on the item boxes, there is some skill involved in choosing whether to take one or not in regards to what the people behind you get. Spent like 80% of my time in gold saucer on races.

But uh, fuck briars OP.

Also seems item boxes are tied to the race timer. If you have a huge enough lead you can miss them or they won't pop until you're right on them sometimes.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sigmakan Kaph
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Are you restricted by which grade of training manual you can use? Does your choco have to be a certain level/pedigree?

The Once and Future Wamoura
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

But uh, fuck briars OP.
    [4]<★Kharlan Lynare> i bet the dude that designed rafflesia
    [4]<★Kharlan Lynare> got pissy as fuck because people didnt use them
    [4]<★Kharlan Lynare> and said
    [4]<★Kharlan Lynare> WELL HAVE SOME FUCKING BRIARS IN THE RACES

pretty much sums up my feelings

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Sigmakan View Post
    Are you restricted by which grade of training manual you can use? Does your choco have to be a certain level/pedigree?
    Don't think so. Just that the higher stuff costs more MGP and is probably wasted on a 1st pedigree bird.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

No restrictions on grades of training manuals. They'll teach a slightly better version that may or may not get passed down to your next choco, depending on what both sets of parents have. I wouldn't recommend buying any of them unless you're breeding higher tier pedigree birds and are raising both sets of parents with the same skill to ensure it gets passed down. Eventually I want sprint 3 on my max pedigree bird, but that's a ways away.

Also, breeding takes about 6 RL hours, so the best time to start the process is before you log off for bed, so you aren't stuck twiddling your thumbs or getting pissed over TRIPLE TRIAD LIKE I AM.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

I swear I miss the 3rd item box on Sagolii Road like 80% of the time.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

I think I know which you're talking about. The winding road up to it doesn't arc over there till the last minute, so I fumble between lanes trying to figure out which will get it.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

I think the hit detection is a bit funny I've ran clear through the boxes and it's like eh.. most of the time and wont give me anything.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Its based on the "lane" you're in. Each box has one lane of probably 4-5, and when you cross through the box without getting the item, its because you were moving out of that "lane" at the time your graphic crossed the box, so you were in another lane. You'll never miss a box if you're in the lane leading up to the box and just run into it, but fucking hard to tell which is which when the pathing each lane takes sometimes doesn't head directly towards the box until you're right on top of the damned thing.

Edit: I'm trying to teach myself patience to stay in lane and run into the boxes, but I get panicked when I get close to some of the boxes because I want the item badly, and I'll cross out of lane at the last minute, run through the box and miss the goddamn item.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Saw meteor for the first time today. Brutal. 30% to all birds and prevents sprint for like 20 secs. But was at very end so didn't matter. Maybe exaggerating.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast