• Navigation
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 382 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast
    THIS IS BREGOR'S STORY
    Beard +1

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

2015 NHL Playoff Thread: These are not SEAN FUCKING MONAHAN OR JOHNNY GODREAU

Here's my first effortpost from last year's playoff thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Bregor View Post
    So, for the first time since 2007, the Washington Capitals are not a part of the Stanley Cup Playoffs. That was only a six-year streak. During the 80s and 90s, the Caps made the playoffs fourteen straight times. The streak ended in 1997, and that summer Washington made two changes. First, they replaced longtime general manager David Poile with a young upstart named George McPhee. The Caps also relieved head coach Jim Schoenfeld after his third full season in DC and replaced him with Ron Wilson, another young-ish guy who has some success with the expansion Mighty Ducks of Anaheim. That season, the Capitals went to their first and only Stanley Cup Finals. Sure they got swept by Detroit (FUCK YOU ESA TIKKANEN) but it was a big step forward for the franchise. Now, after big expectations for much of the Ovechkin era, the Caps stand at another crossroads. Who do they pick to lead this team, not only to get back to the playoffs, but to seriously contend with the likes of Chicago, Pittsburgh, Boston, LA, and a handful of other perennial Cup favorites? Beats the hell out of me, but I don't envy them one bit.

This year sucked. Yeah, I got some gifs out of it, even on the final night of the season. But it really fucking sucked. However, in a way, right now I feel clean. I feel light. No pressure. No fretting day in and day out as to how the Caps will break my heart in the next two to four weeks. And it's a good thing too, because my wife and I are expecting a baby girl in mid-May. Last Sunday, instead of watching the Caps lose, I installed a baby seat in my car. So happy hackey watching, fuckers. I'll watch some of it with you, but I'm just stoked I'm gonna be a dad because that's pretty awesome. (I still hate you though.)
    Well, my girl is 11 months old and I still hate all of you. As for the Caps, they have one of the best coaches in the league, the best goal scorer possibly ever, and a young, successful goalie who just enjoyed his best professional season yet. I'm cautiously optimistic, partially because the Eastern Conference is so wide open, but mostly because of Trotz. If anything has hurt the Caps of playoffs past, it's that they hit the panic button, especially when up three games to one in a tough series. They tense up. They grip their sticks a little too tight. They run into "a hot goalie" which is also known as being content shooting from the outside and not driving the net or causing traffic in front. And I just don't see this team with this coach falling victim to that. We'll see I guess. But the turn-around from Oates to Trotz has been pretty special to watch so far.

And now, on to the series!

WORSTERN CONFERENCE

St. Louis v. Minnesota

St. Louis Blues: 1st in the Central Division with 109 points, 3rd in the NHL in goal differential at +47. Third-year stud Vladimir Tarasenko (37G 36A) leads a deep team that saw nine skaters eclipse the 40-point mark. Their strength is on defense, where Kevin Shattenkirk, Alex Pietrangelo, Jay Bouwmeester, and trade deadline pick-ups Zbynek Michalek and Robert Bortuzzo form a very good group. Goaltenders Brian Elliott and Jake Allen have split time this year, but head coach Ken Hitchcock might need to ride the hot hand for a deep playoff run.

Minnesota Wild: 4th in the Central Division with 100 points (1st Wild Card), 7th in the NHL in goal differential at +30. Minnesota hit a bit of a slup in the middle of the season:

Then they acquired Devan Dubnyk and got the following boost: 39 starts, 27-9-2, .936 save percentage, 1.78 GAA, 5 shutouts. GawdDAMN! As for the rest of the Wild, they're led by winger Zach Parise and defenseman Ryan Suter, who once again had excellent seasons. But Jason Pominville only had 18 goals and a 7.1% shooting percentage. Can he, Thomas Vanek, Mikko Koivu, and the rest of the forwards provide enough scoring to keep up with the West's elite?

X-Factor: Obviously Dubnyk. Lots of goalies put up a special half-season on a better team, but we're talking about a guy with a career mark of .914 and 2.69 (albeit mostly with the Oilers and Coyotes). Can Minnesota continue to be rollin' on Dubs?

SMASHVILLE v. Chicago

Nashville Predators: 2nd in the Central Division with 104 points, 9th in the NHL in goal differential at +24. The PERDS came out smashing, taking the NHL by storm in the opening months and turning rookie Filip Forsberg into a household name (well, for hackey fans anyway). They endured an injury to Pekka Rinne and clinched a playoff spot for head coach Peter Laviolette, ending a two-year drought. Roman Josi took a huge step forward this year, and forms a formidable top pairing with Shea Weber. However they faded somewhat down the stretch, with a 6-game pointless streak in early March, then finishing the season 0-4-2.

Chicago Blackhawks: 3rd in the Central Division with 102 points, 4th in the NHL in goal differential at +40. The good news is the 'Hawks have plenty of playoff experience, with a Stanley Cup win and a trip to the Conference Finals the past two seasons. The bad news is that's a lot of hockey, and Chicago has its fair share of dings and dents. Kimmo Timonen and Brad Richards should be fine, but the big news is superstar winger and taxi afficianado Patrick Kane is well ahead of schedule in his recovery from a broken collarbone and might play as soon as the series opener.

X-Factor: James Neal. The former 40-goal scorer was streaky and battled injuries during his first season in Music City. He'll get top-line minutes and still generates plenty of shots, but he'll need to find the back of the net if the Preds are going to advance.

Anaheim v. Winnipeg

Anaheim Ducks: 1st in the Pacific Division with 109 points, 17th in the NHL in goal differential at +10. Oh, look at this, a Bruce Boudreau team getting the top seed in a playoff bracket. Anaheim comes into the postseason with the worst goal differential and the 2nd most goals among playoff teams. Ryan Kesler did his best to deflect the critics that the Ducks are a one-line team. But... the Ducks are a one-line team. As go Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry, so goes Anaheim, no matter how much Kesler, Matt Beleskey (who scored most of his points on the top line), former Hab Jiri Sekac, or anyone else chips in. The Ducks have a slew of good-but-not-great defensemen in Francois Beauchemin, Hampus Lindholm, Cam Fowler, and mid-season pickups James Wisniewski and Simon Despres. Frederik Andersen should be in net, but Boudreau has an itchy goalie finger this time of year and John Gibson has played well down when given the chance.

Winnipeg Fightin' Teemus Jets: 5th in the Central Division with 99 points (2nd Wild Card), t-12th in the NHL in goal differential at +20. I'm only going to say this once; bluefan, please remain calm while watching playoff hackey. I know it's hard, but I don't think the Jets want a heart attack or stroke on their conscience. The Jets have a nice assortment in their top-six, mixing Andrew Ladd, Bryan Little, Blake Wheeler, Michael Frolik, Mark Scheifele, and Drew Stafford. Dustin Byfuglien moved back to the blue line with mixed results, but good play from Tyler Myers, Toby Enstrom, Jacob Trouba, and Mark Stuart has stabilized their defensive play. Their goal differential might be better if they could just stay out of the fucking box; they had 374 minor penalties this season to lead the league.

X-Factor: Special teams play. The tale of the tape isn't pretty. Winnipeg was 18th in the league in power play percentage at 17.8% and Anaheim was even worse at 28th and 15.7% respectively. Both teams were average on the kill at around 81%. Playoff games are usually called with a "let 'em play" mentality, but which team can capitalize on their extra-man opportunities?

Vancouver v. Calgary

Vancouver Canucks: 2nd in the Pacific Division with 101 points, t-12th in the NHL in goal differential at +20. After one disastrous season under John Tortorella, the Canucks are back in the playoffs under rookie coach Willie Desjardins. The line of Radim Vrbata and the Sedins played well most of the season, but Alex Burrows is back with Henrik and Daniel while Vrbata, Chris Higgins, and Nick Bonino make a decent 2nd line. Vancouver's defensemen don't score much, but Alex Edler, Chris Tanev, Dan Hamhus, Yannick Weber, Kevin Bieksa, and Luca Sbisa make an excellent defensive corps. Ryan Miller came back from a knee injury for the last game of the season, but Eddie Lack has carried the team recently.

Calgary Flames: 3rd in the Pacific Division with 97 points, 8th in the NHL in goal differential at +25. Vasp, read what I wrote to bluefan in the Winnipeg section. I was surprised to see the Flames so good when it comes to goal differential. All season I've been hearing they're lucky, they don't possess the puck, they're too young, blah blah blah et cetera et cetera. Now, I don't think Jiri Hudler is a 20% shooting percentage sniper, but I do see Johnny Gaudreau, Sean Monahan, and Lance Bouma getting much better before our very eyes. And then there's Sam Bennett, the 4th overall pick last summer who notched an assist on his first NHL shift. The blue liners took a hit when Mark Giordano was lost for the year, but TJ Brodie, Kris Russell, Dennis Wideman, and Deryk Engelland (!) have played will with bigger minutes. After an injury to Kari Ramo, Calgary will lean on Jonas Hiller for every postseason start.

X-Factor: Johnny Gaudreau. The diminuitive forward had a stellar season (24G 40A) and has played well in playoff-type atmospheres at lower levels. But there's nothing like the Stanley Cup Playoffs. Defenders will have more leniency to play a physical game, and Gaudreau will need to earn his offensive zone space and his quality chances.

BEASTERN CONFERENCE

Montreal v. Ottawa

Canadiens de Montréal: 1st in the Atlantic Division with 110 points, 6th in the NHL in point differential at +32. The Habs tied with Chicago in allowing the fewest goals in the league thanks to an MVP-worthy season from Carey Price. His numbers (44-16-6, 1.96 GAA, .933 save percentage, 9 shutouts) are downright Hasek-esque. PK Subban also paced the league in scoring for a defenseman (15G 45A) and six other skaters eclipsed the 40-point plateau including his defensive partner Andrei Markov. 37-goal scorer Max Pacioretty was banged up against Florida last week, but he should be good to go.

Ottawa Senators: 4th in the Atlantic Division with 99 points (1st Wild Card), 10th in the NHL in goal differential at +23. If you thought Minnesota's chart was good, take a look at Ottawa's:

Holy schnikey! Andrew Hammond was recalled from the AHL on January 21st, and proceeded to put up Price-ian numbers (20-1-2, 1.79 GAA, .941 save percentage, 3 shutouts) to catapult the Senators into the playoffs. And while that's all well and good, the Sens have some good skaters too. Defenseman-in-name-only Erik Karlsson paced the team with 66 points (21G 45A) and rookie sensation Mark Stone has played his way onto the top line with Kyle Turris and Clarke MacArthur. Head coach Dave Cameron has been a revelation for Ottawa as well, providing an environment where the young talent has been able to flourish by encouraging a faster pace and more aggressive forecheck.

X-Factor:

Yes, the Hamburglar has been outstanding. But with a rookie head coach and suspect defensemen playing in front of him, the Bowling Green State grad will need every bit of thievery he has in him to stand up to the mighty Habs.

Tampa Bay v. Detroit, aka THE YZERMAN BOWL

Tampa Bay Lightning: 2nd in the Atlantic Division with 108 points, 2nd in the NHL in goal differential at +51. The Bolts rely on the strength of their top six forwards, and why wouldn't you? Steven Stamkos remains the second-best sniper in the league, and Tyler Johnson, Nikita Kucherov, Ondrej Palat, Val Filppula, and Ryan Callahan round out an impressive group. Jonathan Drouin was a disappointment with only four goals this year, but at 20 years old and with a full season alongside Stamkos under his belt, he's a threat to take off during the playoffs. Their blue line is beat up, with Jason Garrison out and Braydon Coburn nursing a foot injury. They'll lean on Anton Stralman and Victor Hedman considerably. Ben Bishop has been stellar the past two seasons, but he missed the 2014 playoffs with an injury. His next NHL postseason start will be his first.

Detroit Red Wings: 3rd in the Atlantic Division with 100 points, 15th in the NHL in goal differential at +14. The Red Wings haven't missed the playoffs since the summer of 1990. Billboard number-one singled of that year feature Michael Bolton, Wilson Phillips, New Kids on the Block, and yes, Vanilla Ice. In other words, 1990 fucking ruled. Anyway, Pavel Datsyuk continues to be amazing, scoring 65 points in 63 games and dangling his way toward the end of what should be a Hall of Fame career. He and Henrik Zetterberg will need to channel some of that old-school Red Wings magic if Detroit is going to advance. Justin Abdelkader is dealing with an injured hand and Erik Cole is done for the season, so the top four forwards of Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Tomas Tatar, and Gustav Nyquist will need to be at their best. They'll also lean on Niklas Kronwall and Jonathan Ericsson on defense as they're not very deep. Jimmy Howard has been pretty bad after his groin injury in January, so Petr Mrazek might be the guy in the playoffs this season.

X-Factor: Ben Bishop. On paper, this should be an easy series win for the Bolts. But Bishop as one career playoff game in the AHL and none so far with the big boys. Tampa will need Bishop to play up to his full potential to make a deep playoff run, but more importantly they need a steady hand to get by a veteran Detroit team.

New York Rangers v. Pittsburgh

New York Rangers: 1st in the Metropolitan Division with 113 points (Presidents' Trophy), 1st in the NHL in goal differential at +60. When he played, Henrik Lundqvist had his typical Lundqvistian year, but the surprise was that Cam Talbot produced essentially the same stats over 34 starts. When the King was out after a scary puck-to-the-Adam's apple resulted in a rare vascular injury, Talbot picked up the slack and then some, and the Rangers didn't miss a beat. New York features a deep, speedy lineup, with Rick Nash leading the way with 42 goals and a good combination of size and snipe. Nine other skaters had at least 10 goals. They also feature excellent defensive depth, especially after acquiring Keith Yandle. Unfortunately they still employ Tanner Glass for some unknown reason.

Pittsburgh Penguins: 4th in the Metropolitan Division with 98 points (2nd Wild Card), 16th in the NHL in goal differential at +11. I know none of us wanted to see the Penguins in the playoffs, but it came at the expense of Boston, which is just as awesome. For all the talk of adding depth wingers to shuffle with Sid and Geno, the Penguins forwards are lacking. Only Chris Kunitz and Patrick Hornqvist eclipsed the 40-point mark, although David Perron has been productive at times. Things got so bad that Daniel Winnik got top-line minutes recently. The defensive corps might be in worse shape as Kris Letang is still out recovering from another concussion. Olli Maatta missed much of the season and Christian Ehrhoff has been in and out of the lineup. The Pens have skated just five defensemen recently and it's showed in their results. For his part, Marc-Andre Fleury has been the one stable part of Pittsburgh's season.

X-Factor: Marc-Andre Fleury. The depth of New York's skaters clearly outmatch Pittsburgh's. If the Pens are to have any hope of advancing, they'll need Flower to steal a couple of games. Now I know what you're thinking, "Playoff MAF lol." But he actually had good numbers through two series last year and is coming off his best season for save percentage and GAA since taking over as the full-time starter.

Washington v. New York Islanders

Washington: 2nd in the Metropolitan Division with 101 points, 5th in the NHL in goal differential at +39. Another season, another Rocket Richard Trophy for Alex Ovechkin. His 53 goals were 10 more than the next highest total. It's no surprise that Nick Backstrom also led the league in assists. No one else lights up the score sheet with as much consistency, but Marcus Johansson, Troy Brouwer, Joel Ward, and Eric Fehr all had 19 or more goals. Evgeny Kuznetsov had an up-and-down rookie season but has played well alongside Ovechkin as of late. John Carlson and Mike Green provide a nice one-two punch for scoring along the blue line, and Matt Niskanen has skated big minutes with Karl Alzner for a nice shutdown pair. Braden Holtby continued the upswing of a really promising young career. He's a true workhorse who started 71 games, led the league in minutes, shot against, and saves, and had excellent ratios (2.22 GAA, .923 save percentage).

New York Islanders: 3rd in the Metropolitan Division with 101 points (lost head-to-head tiebreaker), 11th in NHL in goal differential with +22. John Tavares drives the Islanders with superb play in both ends. He had a career year (38G 48A) and is now with youngster Ryan Strome and veteran Nikolai Kulemin on the top line. Brock Nelson, Josh Bailey, Kyle Okposo, Frans Neilsen, and Anders Lee provide excellent forward depth. Nick Leddy and Johnny Boychuk, both new to the Isle, make a great defensive top pairing, but after that it gets suspect. Travis Hamonic is solid but dealing with an injury, and Lubomir Visnovsky and score a bit. Jaroslav Halak is the stuff of nightmares for Caps fans when he stonewalled them in 2010, but he posted more pedestrian numbers this season.

X-Factor: Evgeny Kuznetsov. After being moved up to center Ovechkin's line, the young Russian has appeared comfortable and creative. Since March 5th, he's had 13 points (5G 8A) in 17 games. If he succeeds on the top line it also frees up Nick Backstrom to center the 2nd line of Marcus Johansson and Troy Brouwer, creating two big scoring lines at even strength.

Mr. Anna Kendrick
    BGs Worst Golde Abuser

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Charles Barkley
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

My picks in the BG Playoff predictor on NHL.com are as follows:

ANA
    VAN
    STL
    CHI

NYR
    NYI
    TB
    OTT

I forgot how many games in each.

I do predict Atlanta Jets win one game though this time and I also think Ottawa wins and it doesn't even go 7 without Pacioretty.

Also caps description "best goal scorer ever and young, successful goalie coming off his best professional season". Crosby and Fleury almost exactly match that same description except revise goal scorer to playmaker/grinder/all around player.

THIS IS BREGOR'S STORY
    Beard +1

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

PREDICTIONS

MIN in 7
    CHI in 5
    WPG in 7
    CGY in 7

MTL in 6
    TB in 4
    NYR in 5
    WAS in 6

Also,

Quote Originally Posted by Palin View Post
    Also was gonna wait till the playoff thread but fuck it, join our Bracket Challenge league:

http://bracketchallenge.nhl.com/#/league/81260
    JOIN OR DON'T WHATEVER

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level

Blues in 6
    Nash in 7
    Ducks in 6 (sorry Blue)
    Van in 7 (sorry Vasp)
    Sens in 7
    Bolts in 6
    Rags in 5
    Caps in 6

The 69th Donor

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Copypasta from my bracket

Blues in 6
    Perds in 5
    Jets in 7
    Flames in 6

Habs in 6
    Bolts in 4
    NYR in 6
    Isles in 6

The 69th Donor

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

I know Rata and NynJa are banned but we should let them at least dump their picks in the thread lol.

FOR FUCKS' SAKE !!!
    FOR FUCKS' SAKE !!!
    FUCK FUCK FUCK

BG Level

Jets in 4.
    Blues in 6.
    Preds in 7.
    Flames in 7.

Rangers in 4.
    Lightning in 6.
    Capitals in 6.
    Habs in 6.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Minnesota in 6
    Chicago in 6
    Ducks in 6
    Canucks in 6.

Montreal in 5
    Tampba in 6
    NYR in 6
    Caps in 6

My heart says Canucks vs. Caps in 6 in the finals. My brain says NYR over Blackhawks in 6.

ROAR!!!
    Only the owner of my work watches hockey, the rest are bitches who don't watch hockey. Except for 1, who is a MTL fan.

WASTE OF CURRENCY
    I CAN'T I CAN'T I CAN'T

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Izzy Izumi
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Did the Pens do the "no TV outside" shit because Root complained that it's taking away from their viewership? I remember that was a thing in Buffalo back in the day.

Piece of shit Bruins fan

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Beat Daisukenojo
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Quote Originally Posted by bluefan View Post
    Jets in 4.
    I'll have what he's having.

Tom Wilson will never be good.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zero Star
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Predictions

STL in 6
    CHI in 6
    ANA in 5
    VAN in 5

OTT in 7 (only cause I don't think Patches is actually healthy)
    TB in 6
    NYR in 6
    WAS in 5

Mr. Anna Kendrick
    BGs Worst Golde Abuser

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Charles Barkley
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
    Did the Pens do the "no TV outside" shit because Root complained that it's taking away from their viewership? I remember that was a thing in Buffalo back in the day.
    Nah ever since Consol opened theyve been holding it in the old Civic Arena lot across the street from Consol but they've finally begun redeveloping the site.

THIS IS BREGOR'S STORY
    Beard +1

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Aksannyi View Post
    I know Rata and NynJa are banned but we should let them at least dump their picks in the thread lol.
    I forget if they can PM during a ban (I know you can during infraction). If they can, they should PM me. If not, then make a sock and PM me BUT DO NOT POST ANYWHERE ELSE.

BG Level

Off-topic - but anyone know if they broadcast AHL Playoffs on TV? I would highly doubt it with the NHL playoffs going, but if I can stream that somewhere it'll be awesome to have absolute non stop NHL/AHL playoff madness.

Piece of shit Bruins fan

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Beat Daisukenojo
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Wild in 6
    Perds in 7
    Peggles in 7
    Flames in 5
    Sens in 7
    Bolts in 5
    Rags in 5
    Caps in 6

Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

From my Pick'em.

Blues in 6
    Perds in 6
    Jets in 7
    Flames in 7

Sens in 7
    Lightning in 5
    Rangers in 5
    Caps in 6

And I expect a lot of red X for me but I don't care!

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Flames in 6
    Jets in 6
    Wild in 7
    Hawks in 5

Habs in 5
    Lightning in 6
    Rags in 4
    Caps in 6

FOR FUCKS' SAKE !!!
    FOR FUCKS' SAKE !!!
    FUCK FUCK FUCK

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Cutriss View Post
    I'll have what he's having.
    http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mb...6739o1_250.gif

a p. sweet dude

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Aksannyi View Post
    Could always take their picks off their brackets if they join. I think they're visible once the playoffs start.

Quote Originally Posted by bori View Post
    Off-topic - but anyone know if they broadcast AHL Playoffs on TV? I would highly doubt it with the NHL playoffs going, but if I can stream that somewhere it'll be awesome to have absolute non stop NHL/AHL playoff madness.
    I know some/most of the Marlies games are broadcast here but I don't know what it's like in the States.

My picks are the same as my bracket:

Western

St. Louis in 6
    Nashville in 7
    Anaheim in 7
    Vancouver in 5

Eastern

Ottawa in 7
    Tampa Bay in 5
    Rangers in 4
    Islanders in 6

The 69th Donor

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

This comes up every year and it's always great and yeah. Just gonna share this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 382 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast