Absolute Messenger of Promathia
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Internet Issues - Cannot connect to Gaming on PC or Playstation.

Sorry, run out of idea for this, Google failed me and just mentioned firewalls (which never fixed the issue) and the people I found with the issues always led back to programs of which I've never heard of. So as the title says I'm having some issues connecting to any online games, or anything related to online gaming official websites, like FFXIV official forums, etc.

Just happened a few moments ago, I was playing Guild Wars 2 and then I just disconnected, figured it was the server, but I can't connect to anything closely related to online games. Examples- FFXIV/FFXI official forums, Square-Enix website, Guild Wars 2 Official website, any MMO I have downloaded (STO, GW2, FFXIV won't even bring up the log in page). I can get on minecraft servers but there is a severe lag (I.E I'll move around for a bit then warp to a spot I walked by 20 seconds ago, apparently having not moved at all).

And my brother who just got home can't even get onto his Playstation Plus account.

So... yah, anyone know where-about I should begin diagnosing and solving this? I can figure it has something to do with the Router or modem, I tried the basic stuff of just restarting the damn thing and rebooting my computer but I still can't access any of the above mentioned websites. Other than those issues my internet is working flawlessly. Youtube, here, everything.

Edit: I lied, Facebook doesn't work either.

Ranger
    9900klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries

your best bet is to contact your ISP and let them know you are having serious connection issues. it might be a node down for them possibly, I have it happen here occasionally where I lose half the internet (the half I dont care about that much) and it usually fixes itself after I reset my cable modem and give it a few hours

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

There should be a hard-to-press button somewhere on the modem itself, usually needing a pen to press; hold it down for a few seconds to wipe the modem and let it reconfigure itself. Try this if your modem is a regular modem, ie. it isn't also a router, otherwise you'd be resetting the router part's network configs and such and you probably don't want to do that (backup those settings first and maybe try).

You could also plug in directly to the modem with your pc (if not a modem+router unit). See if stuff works. Try a free vpn, like a browser based one or otherwise. If directly connecting through the modem works but over router doesn't, shoot the router. If browsing those not-working sites over vpn works, isp has problems.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Our internet is funky. When I download on PS4, every 4GB, the internet just stops. If I reset the modem right away, it never corrects itself (or even leaving it alone won't do anything). However, leaving everything on, I unscrew the coax cable from the wall and pull it out just for a second and screw it back on. Works right away and fixes the issue... until the next 4GB (Dragon Age DL was super fucking fun).

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Should try a new modem in that case. If renting a modem from your isp, tell them to get you a new one since your current one messes up too often. If not, you can look up compatible ones on your isp's website and buy one from whatever online place, like amazon or newegg. I had one where the slightest bump to the modem itself would reset it lol, and it was a rental because we didn't know any better.

Absolute Messenger of Promathia
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by orinthia View Post
    There should be a hard-to-press button somewhere on the modem itself, usually needing a pen to press; hold it down for a few seconds to wipe the modem and let it reconfigure itself. Try this if your modem is a regular modem, ie. it isn't also a router, otherwise you'd be resetting the router part's network configs and such and you probably don't want to do that (backup those settings first and maybe try).

You could also plug in directly to the modem with your pc (if not a modem+router unit). See if stuff works. Try a free vpn, like a browser based one or otherwise. If directly connecting through the modem works but over router doesn't, shoot the router. If browsing those not-working sites over vpn works, isp has problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonomaa View Post
    your best bet is to contact your ISP and let them know you are having serious connection issues. it might be a node down for them possibly, I have it happen here occasionally where I lose half the internet (the half I dont care about that much) and it usually fixes itself after I reset my cable modem and give it a few hours
    Went with this after trying the reset, it seemed to be an issue with DNS resolution(?), my brother ended up getting it all taken care of once he contacted them. First time I've had an issue like this, glad it was solved :I

Thank ya both.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Yah when a DNS table near you gets screwed up, it can cause a bunch of problems for 24-48 hours.