+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: New car recommendations     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

New car recommendations

Well, since my nightmare with Ford is just about done, I'll have a paid off loan and about a 13-14k check coming my way. Some of that is going towards bills, but obviously need to get a new car. Unless I get a good deal, I will most likely lease due to the lower down/monthly payment and I don't drive very far to work, less than 6 miles each way and in 3 years, Astylla and I will be in much better financial situation and hopefully own a home by then.

I am looking at either mid size sedan's, or possibly a crossover/small SUV. The only thing is it won't be american. I've bought 4 cars in my life. An 86 civic hatchback that ran great till an idiot mechanic fucked me and I got rid of it, a 99 Cavalier that was a steaming pile of shit, an 08 Civic that was great, but was a little cramped for long drives (we typically drive to Disneyland 2-3 times a year, so 6-7 hours in it was a little rough), and a 13 Ford Fusion Hybrid, which you can find my opinion of in the random fail thread.

We test drove a 16 Sonata tonight, which drove really nice. Took a quick look at a 15 Passat, and was way too cramped and the layout of the audio/navigation controls blew, so that's out the window. The 15 Honda CRV looked really nice, but didn't get a chance to test drive as it was getting late. Corollas unless they redesigned the 15 & 16's are out as well as the steering column sits way too low even at it's highest setting.

Essentially, what's going to get me solid gas mileage in a non hybrid? I would like something that can get an average of 25-30mpg. I'm currently renting a Chrystler 300 on Ford's dime and i'm ever so grateful that Ford is picking up the gas tab, cause the mileage fucking blows unless you are cruising at 75-80 for long stretches. I'm just under 6'3 and about 250lb so I need something that's a bit on the roomy end. I don't need AWD/4WD as we don't go anywhere that can have snow issues as we only typically drive to Reno during spring/summer. Bay area is typically pretty mild for weather.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tekni Wintersbane
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Mok'Nathal

Have you tried jeep? The jeep compass and the brand new jeep grand cherokee both get a solid of around 30 i believe. The compass is like the crv, and the cherokee is their luxury model i suppose?
    or if non american what about those subarus. zoom zoom zoom.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Fucking Camaro SS, baby.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

my parents and i have been very pleased with our toyotas. I have a 2008 scion xB, which is surprisingly roomy. I'm 6'3, and it's very comfortable (you sit in a more vertical position- ass isn't inches away from the pavement). I can fit 4 passengers + small luggage in reasonable comfort, though of course i don't envy whoever has to ride bitch on long drives. It gets respectable gas mileage (i think like 40ish highway? havent really checked in a while) and fits into compact spaces. They have a Yaris, which is also quite roomy for its size, and markedly more efficient. They also have a Tundra, which is decidedly not efficient (though for a truck that size, its pretty good), but roomy and versatile.

Pay No Attention to the Man Behind the Curtain
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ragns Meuhie
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Does this counts as a legit answer?

http://imageboard.neko-sentai.com/_i...669206c902.jpg

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

A Honda Accord or Mazda6 would be safe bets for quality/space/fuel economy. I haven't driven either but they always place high on reviewer's lists.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I'm a big fan of the Mazda 3, 6, and CX-5. All excellent cars in their segments, with over 30MPG freeway.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by BaneTheBrawler View Post
    my parents and i have been very pleased with our toyotas. I have a 2008 scion xB, which is surprisingly roomy. I'm 6'3, and it's very comfortable (you sit in a more vertical position- ass isn't inches away from the pavement). I can fit 4 passengers + small luggage in reasonable comfort, though of course i don't envy whoever has to ride bitch on long drives. It gets respectable gas mileage (i think like 40ish highway? havent really checked in a while) and fits into compact spaces. They have a Yaris, which is also quite roomy for its size, and markedly more efficient. They also have a Tundra, which is decidedly not efficient (though for a truck that size, its pretty good), but roomy and versatile.
    Second the XB and totally echo Banes opinion. I have the same 08 as my daily, and a 1996 Honda Del Sol as a weekend/project car. When i get in the Del Sol after spending the week driving the XB I feel like I'm in a go-kart.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

The Scion xB has horrible gas mileage for its specs. 22/28, which is worse than most V6s' out there.

King Bitcher of Bitchington
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Chuggs M'koul
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

get a mitsubishi lancer. they're great. I love my girl

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Even though you said you don't need AWD, Subarus are quite nice. There are usually deals on the Legacy (midsize sedan) for around $200/month lease. They're good on gas too' over 30MPG highway.

Just checked locally, $236/month, 36MPG highway/28 city. Friend of mine has one. It's quite nice on the inside as well.

As a Honda owner I can say I've always been pleased. even a civic is great. Wife drives a CRV, I've had both an accord and a civic. Great cars.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

my last car was an altima which i loved. I am embarrassed of my current car. You should get a wrangler tho so you can fuck chicks in their 20s like it aint no thang

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

I recommend the Ford Fusion Hybrid. I have a '13 and really do get about 38-40 mpg city. And yes, I know that's the vehicle you had all the problems with. Although it sounds more like dealership/service dept. issues than anything else. Only problem I've had with mine has been the evaporator sensor on the tank throwing a check engine light.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by Bardicrune View Post
    I recommend the Ford Fusion Hybrid. I have a '13 and really do get about 38-40 mpg city. And yes, I know that's the vehicle you had all the problems with. Although it sounds more like dealership/service dept. issues than anything else. Only problem I've had with mine has been the evaporator sensor on the tank throwing a check engine light.
    Bardicrune, I have a 13 fusion hybrid that's being bought back under lemon law.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

How tall are you and mrs you, señor?
    I used to own a 200 and yeah both that and the 300 are as abysmal as to be expected fuel economy wise

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Mazda 6 is my recommendation. I picked up a Touring trim with the manual two months ago and couldn't be happier. The interior is the nicest you'll find anywhere near the price, it's very roomy without being a land barge of a car, it rides great (actually handles well for a sedan) and is one of the better looking sedans available. I get 31mpg in my city/highway-ish commute too, and I'm not exactly babying it in the process, so you'll get good mileage. Good looking, fun to drive, comfortable, good mileage...can't beat it for the price.

Previous car was a Hyundai Elantra Touring (the wagon-ish one) and I've driven the last gen and current gen Sonatas. The Sonatas are nice enough, but I wasn't happy long term with my Hyundai. If the Sonata plays out like my Hyundai you'll pay a fair bit in service to offset that initial sticker price. Could have just been the dealership, but it was part of the reason I didn't look at another Hyundai.

Black Guy from Predator.
    Uppity Negro
    Secret Admin

The Immortal Bill Duke

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by tyven View Post
    my last car was an altima which i loved. I am embarrassed of my current car. You should get a wrangler tho so you can fuck chicks in their 20s like it aint no thang
    A+

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by Josiahkf View Post
    How tall are you and mrs you, señor?
    I used to own a 200 and yeah both that and the 300 are as abysmal as to be expected fuel economy wise
    I'm 6'3, wife is about 5'4. I'm planning on doing a shit ton of test drives, especially this weekend to try to narrow the field down. I kind of want an Acura ILX but that's about civic size, so the wife and I may be a little cramped when it comes to center space in the front.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokitoki View Post
    Even though you said you don't need AWD, Subarus are quite nice. There are usually deals on the Legacy (midsize sedan) for around $200/month lease. They're good on gas too' over 30MPG highway.

Just checked locally, $236/month, 36MPG highway/28 city. Friend of mine has one. It's quite nice on the inside as well.
    You mentioned possibly a crossover (but again, you don't need the AWD so this may not be the car for you). My wife and I were in the market for a crossover last year and after driving a few different ones our favorite was the Subaru Crosstrek. We've been very happy with it. We got the Hybrid, but the dealer pointed out that it didn't really do much for gas mileage, Subaru mainly added it to provide a bit of extra horsepower when needed. We just liked some of the features it added, like keyless ignition. Anyway, you could save a bit by not getting the Hybrid version.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast