+ Reply to Thread
    The 69th Donor
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Exhaust smell in apartment. AC?

So I've been home all weekend except to go out for a few walks, basically just been hibernating and trying not to spend money. I generally don't get very warm so I've kept the AC on only when I've felt I need it but otherwise leave it off to save money.

So starting today, maybe yesterday even, I've noticed a smell of exhaust in my apartment. I haven't thought much of it, just figured someone's car is running or whatever, but it's nearly midnight and no one's car is running, and I still smell the exhaust. I did some googling but can't really find anything definitive, but what could be causing this smell in my apartment? The AC? I have turned it off and opened the only window in my apartment I can open (the one in my bedroom) and stood outside for a bit to get some fresh air. My head fucking hurts though and I'm not feeling especially great.

So BG, could I have a problem with my AC unit, and if there is an exhaust fume coming into my apartment, is it safe to stay here until it's fixed? I'm not planning to call maintenance until the morning because I truly doubt they will come out tonight for "suspected" smell unless I smell gas (which I don't, and nothing here runs on gas anyway it's all electric). I don't really have anywhere to go so considering I am not feeling well and I have been possibly inhaling bad fumes all day, how fucked am I if I try to sleep tonight with the window open blowing in fresh air and the AC left off until it can be fixed (assuming it is the culprit)?

Brown Recluse
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

I'd go sleep somewhere else in case its Carbon Monoxide or gas leak.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

I gotta agree...if you smell something like that it could end up being very dangerous. Do you have a carbon monoxide detector in your apartment? And if so, does it actually work? Just having a window open might not help because that stuff usually settles low to the ground so it's prone to linger even if the room is ventilated. It doesn't take much for you to fall asleep and not wake up and no one here wants that to happen I'm sure.

Especially if you're already feeling ill, because that could be an effect of the fumes you're smelling. If you can, crash somewhere else for the night and call the super in the morning. Carbon Monoxide isn't something you should be taking chances with imo.

The 69th Donor

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

I thought carbon monoxide was odorless. And I do not have a detector, just a smoke detector. I literally have nowhere else to go, that's the problem, and I can't afford to stay in a hotel.

Do you think I should call the emergency maintenance tonight anyway, see what they say? I agree it's probably not good to chance it, I'm now considering trying to stay up all night just in case. I really wish I knew someone I could call and ask to stay there but there's nobody.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Yeah the one time my wife and I smelled exhaust in our house it was extremely subtle to the point where we almost didn't notice it but we both had really bad headaches and were about to go to bed but realized that we should check it out. The heater had been exhausting into the house and we had carbon monoxide poisoning. We called and had to have someone fix it and slept with the window open and our room shut all night. If we went to bed without checking it out we probably wouldn't have woken up. Don't mess around with carbon monoxide. Call emergency maintenance right away.

The 69th Donor

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Yeah I just called them. If they decide not to come out what's my next step? 911? Can I call 911 for that? I don't even know.

The 69th Donor

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Okay they just called me back and said there's nothing in the apartment that should have or give off carbon monoxide, as everything is electrical. He also said that if I've been home all night and there was a carbon monoxide leak, I'd be dead already. So they're not coming out. I don't know if I trust maintenance to know what they're talking about though.

I mean I just have a headache which isn't altogether unusual, but ... I don't know. They said they'd come out in the morning. I'm gonna do more research honestly.

The 69th Donor

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Okay, I called the fire department/EMTs and they came out and checked the apartment. Didn't notice anything, nothing they could detect. They checked me out, my blood pressure is slightly elevated (no shit) and obviously I have a headache so they said I should maybe see my doctor but that there doesn't appear to be anything in the apartment that will kill me tonight.

All told, I feel a lot better about the situation, and I am going to make a point to go to get a physical done soon anyway.

You have a dead body underneath your floorboards.

The 69th Donor

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Shhhh the cops don't know about that.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Aksannyi View Post
    Okay, I called the fire department/EMTs and they came out and checked the apartment. Didn't notice anything, nothing they could detect. They checked me out, my blood pressure is slightly elevated (no shit) and obviously I have a headache so they said I should maybe see my doctor but that there doesn't appear to be anything in the apartment that will kill me tonight.

All told, I feel a lot better about the situation, and I am going to make a point to go to get a physical done soon anyway.
    You did the right thing. Better safe than sorry/dead in this case and you wouldn't necessarily be dead but you would definitely have a headache if it was carbon monoxide. Glad to hear that the fire department gave you the all clear.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Just an FYI. You can pick up a small Carbon Monoxide detector for around $20 that will plug into a wall outlet. Just be aware that they need to be replaced every 2-7 years depending on model.

The 69th Donor

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Yeah I may do that.

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

In some (most?) states you are required to have CO detectors in every occupiable living space (bedrooms, living rooms, etc - but I think there's some provision on hallways). Did you cook anything in the oven and let it burn? Maybe a neighbor burned their food and you got that nasty ass burn smell. Well you did the right steps to alleviate the situation - always trust the FD!

Only one operable window? That's not good. Unless that's literally the only window lol.

edit: I found the IL law that I was thinking of -

Every dwelling unit shall be equipped with at least one approved carbon monoxide alarm in an operating condition within 15 feet of every room used for sleeping purposes.
    Since you're an apartment you probably can get away with one CO detector in the hallway.

The 69th Donor

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

There's no hallway in this apartment. It's set up weird. And I have other windows but the one in my bedroom is the only one with a screen and I'm a bug magnet so absolutely not.